Someone lost a bolt?

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
It’s a 13mm bolt. Sadly too big to patch so a new tyre being fitted tomorrow. My engineer mechanic tells me the regs are very strict on hole diameter for vulcanisation.
As per my #3 posted from experience when I had to buy a brand new tyre in Bangor on a Bank Holiday. Fortunately on the Forester I had fitted a full size spare otherwise given the tread depth on the three ok tyres the new full tread tyre would have been well outside Subarus specifications for tread depth uniformity across the four tyres. So the new tyre became the spare, and a part worn tyre ( the spare) became a normal road tyre, avoiding the need to replace all four tyres.

Reactions: Hutch
Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
As per my #3 posted from experience when I had to buy a brand new tyre in Bangor on a Bank Holiday. Fortunately on the Forester I had fitted a full size spare otherwise given the tread depth on the three ok tyres the new full tread tyre would have been well outside Subarus specifications for tread depth uniformity across the four tyres. So the new tyre became the spare, and a part worn tyre ( the spare) became a normal road tyre, avoiding the need to replace all four tyres.
I did wonder about tread depth. Fortunately the remaining tyres are fairly new. The disparity over a few mm shouldn’t be a problem🤞🤞

Reactions: otherclive

JB1

Aug 4, 2022
Visit site
just to mention I sure your tyre person is aware.
If your driving a AWD vehicle and just changing one tyre it’s also worth checking that your vehicle AWD system is not adversely affected by different tread depts and if your not fitting then exact same tyre then the rolling diameter of the two tyres on the same axle are with in the tolerance of the AWD system some vehicles have very little tolerance and mixed tyre sizes can create a big problem? some vehicles like all 4 tyres to have similar tread depth on the same type of tyre?

Reactions: Dustydog
Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
If your driving a AWD vehicle and just changing one tyre it’s also worth checking that your vehicle AWD system is not adversely affected by different tread depts and if your not fitting then exact same tyre then the rolling diameter of the two tyres on the same axle are with in the tolerance of the AWD system some vehicles have very little tolerance and mixed tyre sizes can create a big problem? some vehicles like all 4 tyres to have similar tread depth on the same type of tyre?
Thats sounds like some cars have no differentials which would otherwise cope with variations in tyre size and rotational speed - the same as they cope with different rotational speeds when turning corners as the outer tyres have to go much further than the inner tyres.

Being more serious, have a look in the vehicle owners handbook - if the issue isn't referred to, then it's not relevant.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Thats sounds like some cars have no differentials which would otherwise cope with variations in tyre size and rotational speed - the same as they cope with different rotational speeds when turning corners as the outer tyres have to go much further than the inner tyres.

Being more serious, have a look in the vehicle owners handbook - if the issue isn't referred to, then it's not relevant.
The Subaru manual was very specific on allowable tread depth variations between the four tyres. I always took care to rotate the tyre positions and my full size spare was a part worn at 5mm tread depth. I figured that at 5mm it would be fine to deal with new tyres or tyres nearing the end of life at 3mm.

Yet my Volvo and Superb with Haldex systems said nothing in the owners manual.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Nothing in the VW manual so far. I will ask my engineer tomorrow.I’ve had 4x4s for decades and have never read anything that caused me concern

Mar 3, 2022
Visit site

Our Freelander has a recommendation to change all 4 tyre's at the same time.
If only replacing 2 then the new tyres MUST go on the rear or risk transmission wind-up.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Our Freelander has a recommendation to change all 4 tyre's at the same time.
If only replacing 2 then the new tyres MUST go on the rear or risk transmission wind-up.
Having new or the deepest tread pattern on the rears wheel has nothing to do with transmission "wind up" becasue even on a true 4x4 there will be a front to back differential that will easily accommodate any tread depth variations.

The practice of fitting the best tyre to the rear of a vehicle seems to be to prevent oversteer skidding under high cornering loads.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
I am a bit puzzled. Is that the tyre on the caravan or the vehicle? When we had a blow out in France, I had to fit the spare onto the caravan and the new tyre of a different make as the spare. Apparently they have a law that states that on the same axle must be the same brand and "tread" of tyre on both sides?

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I am a bit puzzled. Is that the tyre on the caravan or the vehicle? When we had a blow out in France, I had to fit the spare onto the caravan and the new tyre of a different make as the spare. Apparently they have a law that states that on the same axle must be the same brand and "tread" of tyre on both sides?
That’s hearsay wrt same brand. Just a way to fleece tourists.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
That’s hearsay wrt same brand. Just a way to fleece tourists.
No idea, but was our second visit to France so did not want to take a chance. Red Pennant must have referred us to the most expensive tyre shop for miles around as tyre set us back over £100 as it was a Michelin tyre!

Carried it as a spare and when we returned I fitted the spare with the same budget tyre and sold the Michelin almost for what we paid for it as it still had the stickers on it. Caravan was rejected anyway.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I'm not totally familiar with the tyre regulations in France, but having done a search for information, I've found no organisation stating the tyres on an axle have to be the same make, only they have to be the same type and size. The size is fairly obvious, but some sites have clarified that to mean cross-ply or radial, so essentially the same as the UK.

Where the French do deviate is about the condition of the tyre tread depth, they will condemn a tyre that has any part of its tread less than 1.6 mm deep.

In parts of France, there are defined zones where you are required to use winter rated tyres or chains during certain months.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I'm not totally familiar with the tyre regulations in France, but having done a search for information, I've found no organisation stating the tyres on an axle have to be the same make, only they have to be the same type and size. The size is fairly obvious, but some sites have clarified that to mean cross-ply or radial, so essentially the same as the UK.

Where the French do deviate is about the condition of the tyre tread depth, they will condemn a tyre that has any part of its tread less than 1.6 mm deep.

In parts of France, there are defined zones where you are required to use winter rated tyres or chains during certain months.
Wrt winter zones in France there was a glaring omission this months ccc magazine that extolled the benefits of driving to ski resorts. It said nothing about the need for winter tyres or snowflake rated tyres or chains. Wonder how many might get caught out.

Aug 12, 2023
Visit site
A
A lot of AWD systems are front wheel drive and only send power to rear when slippage is detected. In these cases difference in thread deep between front and rear tires shouldn't matter.

JB1

Aug 4, 2022
Visit site
If you Google AWD Tyre Problem, there is plenty of difference information regarding different vehicles and system. It is mainly the part time AWD system controlled by electronics that suffer the worst I believe .
my brother in law had lots of problems clanking and banging from diffs or transfer box with a older Kia Sorento that finally was sorted by replacing all the tyres at once After having a replacement axle fitted. But more modern vehicles still can suffer.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
My SanteFe has never had trouble with differences in tyre wear, but I always swop my tyres/ wheels from front to rear at about 25 k miles from new. Then back again 5 k before replacing them. Never more than 3mm wear difference anyway.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts