Soon to be new to towing

Page 2 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Oct 12, 2013
Visit site
otherclive said:
I don’t know about the Kuga but my previous car, a 2014 Forester, and the current Superb both had rear cross members replaced by the towbar. However the rear cross members on both cars included the threaded hole where the OEM recovery/ towing eye screws into. The towbars did not have such a hole. Being detachable towball it then becomes necessary to carry the towball assembly in the car. Skoda provides a location place around the full size spare wheel. They also warn you in the cars manual of this possible situation if having a detachable towball assembly.

Must admit that I've never given the tow eye a thought since getting the tow bar fitted on the previous Toyota or the Kuga that we have now but on the one we have now my plug is hidden under the bumper out of sight not alongside the tow bar which is neat and has a separate hole for the breakaway cable....

but I've just chucked the cross member as the other one was in the loft of the Toyota for 5 years so when we got the Kuga one fitted I just been chucked it straight away .

I did see a new Kuga y'day which looked like a factory fitted retractable towbar and it looks quite neat so hope you are happy when you get yours ,

good luck

Sep 26, 2018
Visit site
The car system needs to be re-programmed to activate Trailer Sway Control, and cut out the reversing sensors when towing... Ford dealers aren't sometimes the smart3est to remember that bit!

Oct 12, 2013
Visit site
Guzzilazz said:
....The car system needs to be re-programmed to activate Trailer Sway Control.....

No worries on that one as we don't have that on ours , not that posh not that much , the trailer sway control is me cos I'm brilliant !!! :p B)

Feb 23, 2018
Visit site
Craigyoung said:
Guzzilazz said:
....The car system needs to be re-programmed to activate Trailer Sway Control.....

No worries on that one as we don't have that on ours , not that posh not that much , the trailer sway control is me cos I'm brilliant !!! :p B)

My Volvo Towbar installation added the Trailer Control programme to the Traction/Stability control (DTSC). I've seen that it's turned on (Via an ECU diagnostic tool) but can't say that it does anything, perhaps I'm just that good too! :lol:. I believe that it is supposed to work like AL-KO ATC by applying the brakes independently to mitigate swaying/snaking. But the rear parking sensors are disabled when a trailer is hooked up. I don't get the beep when indicating like I used to with my old car's towbar/electrics... Kinda miss that.

Oct 12, 2013
Visit site
Could be wrong here Paul and I'm sure I will be corrected if so but I thought every towbar fitted now included the beep mechanism for indications so you knew they were working ( or not ) , I quite like it so I know that if it doesn't beep I know there's a fault ; which reminds me the house trailer I have , the right indicator isn't working and still haven't sorted that out yet !! :huh:

Feb 23, 2018
Visit site
Craigyoung said:
Could be wrong here Paul and I'm sure I will be corrected if so but I thought every towbar fitted now included the beep mechanism for indications so you knew they were working ( or not ) , I quite like it so I know that if it doesn't beep I know there's a fault ; which reminds me the house trailer I have , the right indicator isn't working and still haven't sorted that out yet !! :huh:

You can have both positive and negative feedback types... mine will flash the indicator arrow on the dash at double speed if the bulb is out. This happened when the 13pin lead wasn't correctly connected. so the indicators did not flash on the caravan. if its working you get no positive feedback.

TRENDING THREADS