Sorento shocker!

Page 2 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Servicing is designed to be the minimum needed to get the car through the warranty period not to keep the car in tip top condition.
However this may cause bigger issues for the dealership after the warranty period as a wise consumer could use CRA 2015 and maybe S75.

For example, If you paid for a service and only the minimum was done and the issue is caused by only the minimum being done and a fault developed, then the consumer may be able to claim, but the consumer would probably need to reports from experts. The CRA 2015 claim would relate to the servicing as a new contract was formed at that time.

Under warranty they would have been able to claim off the manufacturer offsetting some costs. Once warranty i.e. 12 or 24 months has expired in most cases the dealer would not be able to claim from the manufacturer so would need to foot the bill themselves.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Servicing is designed to be the minimum needed to get the car through the warranty period not to keep the car in tip top condition.
Shows how good the Kia and Hyundai designers and maintenance schedule developers are with their 7 and 5 year warranties.
I have our cars serviced annually irrespective of any extended maintenance intervals, which are designed to show reduced running costs for fleet managers when they decide on the make up of their fleets.

Reactions: Dustydog and RogerL
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
However this may cause bigger issues for the dealership after the warranty period as a wise consumer could use CRA 2015 and maybe S75.

For example, If you paid for a service and only the minimum was done and the issue is caused by only the minimum being done and a fault developed, then the consumer may be able to claim, but the consumer would probably need to reports from experts. The CRA 2015 claim would relate to the servicing as a new contract was formed at that time.

Under warranty they would have been able to claim off the manufacturer offsetting some costs. Once warranty i.e. 12 or 24 months has expired in most cases the dealer would not be able to claim from the manufacturer so would need to foot the bill themselves.
The garages I use have service schedules for each car. To my knowledge they service the car iaw that schedule. Saying “ if only the minimum was done” implies that the garage did not service it iaw the schedule IE they did not undertake some tasks. Very difficult to prove.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
The garages I use have service schedules for each car. To my knowledge they service the car iaw that schedule. Saying “ if only the minimum was done” implies that the garage did not service it iaw the schedule IE they did not undertake some tasks. Very difficult to prove.
I agree that it would be very difficult to prove. On a diesel it is very difficult to tell if the oil has been changed as after a couple of hundred miles it is dark in colour again. Same with transmission and axle fluids. As a layman no chance of knowing if the fluids have been changed, but a professional may be able to tell.

Dec 27, 2022
Visit site
You miss my point.
The service schedule set by the manufacturer is the minimum needed to get through the warranty period.
For example both the Haldex oil change and the DSG box oil change are extras and not part of the normal servicing regime. If you don't specify that they should be done they are not leading to failures later on. Same with Cambelt and brake fluid change.
Just because a car has full dealer service history doesn't mean it has been fully serviced.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
You miss my point.

Just because a car has full dealer service history doesn't mean it has been fully serviced.
Your last sentence does not seem to make sense? Can you please explain to this non mechanical person?

Last edited:
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
You miss my point.
The service schedule set by the manufacturer is the minimum needed to get through the warranty period.
For example both the Haldex oil change and the DSG box oil change are extras and not part of the normal servicing regime. If you don't specify that they should be done they are not leading to failures later on. Same with Cambelt and brake fluid change.
I didn’t miss your point I just felt it pointless as I wasn’t responding to you. Just like Haldex or DSG, often brake fluid isn’t automatically included but in all of the manuals I have had it clearly states things that are required but have to be requested by the owner. In my experience the garages have pointed out these sort of tasks and the costs. This gives the owner choices of whether to pay to have the work done, or not to pay. There comes a time when people have to take responsibility for their decisions. .

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
Your last sentence does nto seem to make sense? Can you please explain to this non mechanical person>
So many things are optional and a "full service history" won't show if they've been done or not - on my VW Touareg the following items are optional so not included in standard servicing :- brake fluid change, sunroof service, aircon service, battery replacement, transmission fluid change if towing, etc

Reactions: GUMPY

Sam Vimes

Sep 7, 2020
Visit site
It seems to me that manufacturers, car, caravan or other, don't fully appreciate the difference between Servicing and Preventative Maintenance.

There is a cross over between the two but Servicing is usually a condition of maintaining a Warranty, yet things can still break that would not be prevented by having the item serviced. For example a Minor Service on my car is little more than an Oil, Filter and Cabin Filter change. None of which would prevent a Wheel Bearing for example siezing up.

Yet the manufacturers may well argue that its not covered under the warranty because the car wasn't regularly serviced.

Reactions: Beardy and Hutch

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
My Sorento is well out of warranty.
I bought the car with a full main dealer service history and this recent service and MOT was carried out by a local main dealer.
I'm not about to spend £3500 based on the information that I have so far.
I'll be getting an independent second opinion and I will find out what evidence has led to the conclusion that the rear diff must be replaced, and I'll make my decision after Christmas.

Sep 16, 2018
Visit site
My experience of main dealers has been very poor, they have big overheads and of course the customer pays heavily for the glossy showrooms, free coffee loan cars etc. I also don't trust them.

The first I used on our Mitsubishi told me at 40k miles during a -health check' it needed 4 new brake discs at £1200. That was a lie and they lasted another 40k miles.

On the next service they told me it needed four new tyres, which again was a lie and they lasted another 15k miles.

In fact I just had the front discs and pads replaced at 84k miles at a cost of £250 by a local garage using oem parts. Sadly due to a software issue with the electronic parking brake another main dealer had to do the rear ones (at 79k miles) and they charged me nearly £500.

My local small town garage may have a scruffy reception, the owner has grease on his hands, but he knows his stuff, will bend over backwards to help and his labour charge is 30% of the main dealers, most importantly I trust him.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts