Sorento v freelander 2

May 10, 2008
Visit site
I'm soon changing my freelander 1, and my choices are a Kia sorento diesel auto or a freelander 2 diesel auto to tow my 2007 Bailey Senator Wyoming, could anyone please advice me which one to go for? on paper they are quite similar.

Thankyou

Oct 18, 2007
Visit site
I'd plump for the Sorento. I tow a 2008 Wyoming Series 6 with the Sorento model you mention. It tows it with complete ease and I throughly enjoy driving the combination.

There are a couple of us that tow Wyomings with Sorentos on the forum......you will be in good company!

I do like the look of the Freelander 2, but the seem rather expensive in comparison to the Sorrie. I'd actually go for a VW Tiguan or new Honda CR-v over the Freelander if I was buying that size of 4x4..........but that's my choice, I guess.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
George

Save yourself tears and go for the Sorie. A real beast. I hardly notice my Wyoming is on the back.

Cheers

Alan

Oct 24, 2007
Visit site
Hi there, i have the FL2 and tow a 2008 wyoming and it tows excellent , as for save yourself the tears comment we have had no issues or troubles with FL2 at all and would recommend that you test drive them both .

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I have a Sorento auto and from what I have seen on the site the mpg figures both towing and solo do not seem that much different to those of the FL2. The Sorrie has been totally reliable (04) and is a first rate towcar. Servicing charges are reasonable too. The FL2 is undoubtedly a better drive solo but I would still plumb for a Sorrie for towing and overall VFM.

Apr 13, 2005
Visit site
is the sorrento not in a class above the freelander ? i thought it was in the same class as a discovery which would obviousley make it the more accomplished towcar for your van.

if you want like for like then i think the freelander should be pitted against the nearest kia rival which is the sportage but from memory the sportage has a pretty low tow limit for this class of vehicle.

from reading different threads on the freelander 2 on various web sites it seems that the 2.2 diesel once run in is returning about 40 mpg average where as on this forum alone ive heard loads of complaints of the sorrento having very poor mpg figures of around 23 mpg, no doubt you will get loads of owners saying thats not true in defence of the car so just do a search around the web and make up your own mind as to what is true.

With the cost of fuel these days i know what i would do and neither of the vehicles you mention would be on my list, a few years ago i towed my friends senator wyoming back from cornwall with my alhambra 1.9 tdi and it towed absolutely fine with a fuel return average of 35 mpg towing and 50 + solo.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Anthony,

I have to concede my "tears" comment was more directed to the FL1. A work colleague had one and was a rubbish. Whether the FL2 fairs better I guess only time will tell.

I agree with Icemaker the Sorie and FL2 are in in a different class and perhaps should not be compared. The FL2 does seem quite costly especially once you ad up all the options.

FL2 Kerb Weights are from 1770kg. A lot lighter than the Sorie.

Fuel burn is an issue . See "uksorento.com" mpg has been done to death!

Call me old fashioned but I prefer a heavier tow car even if it burns more fuel.

Cheers

Alan

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
There's alot of hype surrounding Sorento mpg the best place to look is the Kia UK Forum. Mine gives 30-32mpg solo and 22-24mpg towing 1400kg with the car well loaded. The Sportage weighs in around the FL2 and with the 138bhp diesel tows up to 1800kg with a ground clearance of 195mm ( 15mm less than Sorento) and a wading depth of 500mm. Belive you me wading depth came in very useful last July! The selling point for the Sportage is its price. The top sepc Titan is advertised at just under

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
There's alot of hype surrounding Sorento mpg the best place to look is the Kia UK Forum. Mine gives 30-32mpg solo and 22-24mpg towing 1400kg with the car well loaded. The Sportage weighs in around the FL2 and with the 138bhp diesel tows up to 1800kg with a ground clearance of 195mm ( 15mm less than Sorento) and a wading depth of 500mm. Belive you me wading depth came in very useful last July! The selling point for the Sportage is its price. The top sepc Titan is advertised at just under

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts