Southern Ireland

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Any recommendations would be appreciated for good sites in Southern Ireland,have had a look at all the guides but prefer to go on other peoples experiences.Thanks in advance.

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
We went to Eire for the first time this year via Rosslare. We drove straight o our first point of call at Cahersiveen in Kerry. Mannix Point is a small site and Mortimer the owner is a mine of tourist information and the scenery around the site is breathtaking . Found very few place to pull in with the van on route as laybyes are blocked because of Irish Tinkers/Travellers. So take the warning!

Kerry was brilliant, roads can be basic and on the route to Cahersiveen we came in from the north to the "ring of kerry" taking anti clockwise route. We met people with tales of horror who took the route from the south taking the clockwise route around the ring of Kerry. Blown head gaskets, gearboxes, axles and suspension on cars, disco's and various other 4X4's as well as general overheating problems including serious break fading causing serious fun and off road excusions and knocks and bangs!

Anti clock wise route from north is the best if you fanct trying the sites on the south tip of the ring. Ring of Kerry has some awsome views and scenery.

Guinness is expensive and Irish whisky is cheaper here than on Irish Ferries. We staid near Waterford on campsite until 9.30 pm before driving back to Rosslare and sleepimg in the ferry port. Ferry loading Guy advised that there is a nearby campsite at or near "our Ladies Island" close to Rosslare.He insisted that people flee the ferry port and miss this beautiful area of Ireland!

Friendliest people I have ever met, fuel and campsites are more reasonable than here but some things are very expensive!

My 26 K car here costs over 39k in Eire and an 8K loaded Toyota is caompared to 14k for basic model in Ireland. We spent most of the holiday drooling over the houses. Outside the cities you need something like 1/2 an Acre plus before you can build and they pay no rates. Different tax system allows for individual stunning large homes in many places. My 500K+ home is a comparative shack compared to many Irish homes.

Most roads are A type roads with a kind of hard shoulder. Everyone pulls over onto the hard shoulder area to let following vehicles slip bye, they even do the same on motorway and dual cariageways when it is busy. So don't hog the road, thny all wave, flash lights,hazards and indicate left right in thanks. Very friendly relaxed stuff with very few hold ups on the smaller roads.

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
ps.

Previously spent many happy years touring in France and Europe but Eire wins hands down apart from needing a bit more sun and warmth.

Ferry prices to Ireland are a nightmare and many routes you have to pay for a cabin! If you contact a site like Mannix point and book a few days and ask if they have a booking code for Irish Ferries discount they will give you a code to reduce the fare! So book a site first. Hours spent trawling the net can still bring better results though I am told.

We booked online, night crossing from Wales with car and 7+ metre van a week before we decided to go in August and paid

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi John

I am from Ireland we have some beautiful sites over here.

If you want to give me your email address i can sent you on the

camping and caravaning book for Ireland.If it does not suit

you that is ok.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Heartily endorse everything cris said. can't remember the name of the site near near lady's island, but it was very good when we stayed there last year (may 2003).we booked in there for our first and last nights,but stayed two days longer each time. this happened everywhere else too.we went for three weeks, but its all so wonderful that we just could not do we wanted in that time so stayed four and a half weeks, and still felt that we missed a lot. by the way, we only paid

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts