Spain and Credit/Debit Cards for ATM Cash Withdrawal.

Mar 17, 2020
Visit site
Going to be in Spain for some weeks this year and will be hoping to use ATM machines for cash withdrawals.

Our Halifax Card provides free withdrawals in France and other parts of Europe but just wishing to confirm the situation in Spain please.

Presume shops, restaurants, garages and camp sites etc. are fine with UK Cards but concerned about ATM withdrawals.

Any hints tips appreciated.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Going to be in Spain for some weeks this year and will be hoping to use ATM machines for cash withdrawals.

Our Halifax Card provides free withdrawals in France and other parts of Europe but just wishing to confirm the situation in Spain please.

Presume shops, restaurants, garages and camp sites etc. are fine with UK Cards but concerned about ATM withdrawals.

Unless things have changed we toured Northern Spain four years ago from Santander to Santiago and our credit and debit cards worked well, and we made a couple of ATM withdrawals too.

Mel

Mar 17, 2007
Visit site
I think different credit cards vary in what and how they charge abroad. Indeed, even within Halifax there is more than one card, and charges differ. Suggest you check specifically with Halifax.
Mel

Jun 10, 2024
Visit site
Get a wise.com card and pay as a local. No extra charges just load it up with the currency you want at their good rates. Change money when the rates are high. Been using one for over 10 years all around the world

Sam Vimes

Sep 7, 2020
Visit site
When we travelled throughout Europe the ATM machines did accept our Credit/Debit cards but you have to watch how the exchange rate is calculated.

Some will ask you if you want the transaction done in the local currency and the rate is determined locally.

Some will ask you if you want the transaction done in UK pounds and your bank will determine the exchange rate which we found a much better deal.

In both cases you still get the local currency.

Shops took both cards...Visa.... without problem but the exchange rate was unknown.

Or something like that....😀

JRT

May 5, 2024
Visit site
Only card problem I'm having in Spain currently is the randomness of how often my contactless Nationwide flex plus debit card works.

At least 50% of the time so far I've had to use my PIN. No rhyme or reason as to when it doesn't work and when it does.

Reactions: Mr Plodd
Nov 30, 2022
Visit site
Having been in Spain in March the only ATM we found that didn't charge us (Nationwide fkexplus card) were those located in Sabadell banks.
Don't whatever you do draw cash on a credit card, the charges are sky high!

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
Having been in Spain in March the only ATM we found that didn't charge us (Nationwide fkexplus card) were those located in Sabadell banks.
Don't whatever you do draw cash on a credit card, the charges are sky high!
Thanks for this tip about drawing cash on a credit card in Spain (y)

Nov 30, 2022
Visit site
The charges for drawing cash on a credit card are equally high in the UK. It's not what the ATM charge, its what the CC company hit you for in interest!,
Only ever draw cash from a CC in a dire emergency, or use it to pay for things, but drawing cash? Never

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
We never use a CC for anything other than goods or services. Too easy for example to make a charity donation which the CC company see as cash and charge interest straight the way.

Sam Vimes

Sep 7, 2020
Visit site
Only card problem I'm having in Spain currently is the randomness of how often my contactless Nationwide flex plus debit card works.

At least 50% of the time so far I've had to use my PIN. No rhyme or reason as to when it doesn't work and when it does.
This is not unusual even in the UK. Its a periodic security check and happens with our RBS account as well. Maybe its more noticeable when abroad.

JRT

May 5, 2024
Visit site
This is not unusual even in the UK. Its a periodic security check and happens with our RBS account as well. Maybe its more noticeable when abroad.

I get it once in a blue moon in the UK, and yes it is a security check. Rarely if ever get it if I use Google pay.

Here it seems to more of a technical issue. It's no big deal, just a bit annoying.

JRT

May 5, 2024
Visit site
Thanks for this tip about drawing cash on a credit card in Spain (y)

We never use a credit card to get cash, even in the UK the charges are extortionate.

The odd occasion I've inserted my credit card rather than my debit card the ATM in the UK has notified me about the charges. Never having tried to do it in Spain I don't know if the ATM's here do.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
I get it once in a blue moon in the UK, and yes it is a security check. Rarely if ever get it if I use Google pay.

Here it seems to more of a technical issue. It's no big deal, just a bit annoying.
The biggest issue with using contactless is that on the occasional time you are asked for the PIN is remembering which PIN to use and more than twice the card is locked. I once got mixed up between the PIN for the debit card and the credit card. Embarrassing!

Reactions: Sam Vimes

Sam Vimes

Sep 7, 2020
Visit site
The biggest issue with using contactless is that on the occasional time you are asked for the PIN is remembering which PIN to use and more than twice the card is locked. I once got mixed up between the PIN for the debit card and the credit card. Embarrassing!
Been there, done that.

Once went storming into my bank because the stupid machine had locked my card and just as the customer service lady started to tell me how to unlock it I realised it was the wrong bank and card🙄

• Haha
Reactions: Buckman and RogerL

MelissaPeters

BANNED
Sep 7, 2023
Visit site

Indeed, even within Halifax there is more than one card, and charges differ. Suggest you check specifically with Halifax.

Last edited:
Oct 8, 2006
Visit site
I think #5 was wrong. The advice is ALWAYS to use your card to pay in local currency, then the exchange rate used is the bulk rate for your type of card. If you choose to pay in sterling the card handler in the country that you are using the card sets the exchange rate whence there is likely then another transfer charge when it is applied to your account in the UK.

If you want to save costs/charges you can still use those folding wonder wallet fillers - I think it is called cash? Thence you only make a few withdrawls for maybe £300 or so at a time and only pay charges (if any) once per withdrawl.

Reactions: otherclive

Sam Vimes

Sep 7, 2020
Visit site
I think #5 was wrong. The advice is ALWAYS to use your card to pay in local currency, then the exchange rate used is the bulk rate for your type of card. If you choose to pay in sterling the card handler in the country that you are using the card sets the exchange rate whence there is likely then another transfer charge when it is applied to your account in the UK.

If you want to save costs/charges you can still use those folding wonder wallet fillers - I think it is called cash? Thence you only make a few withdrawls for maybe £300 or so at a time and only pay charges (if any) once per withdrawl.
I was specifically writing about using ATM machines not purchasing items in shops. The machines offered a choice of which organisation could handle the transaction. Letting our bank do it was the best rate.

Times have changed but what I wrote was certainly our experience at the time.

Oct 31, 2022
Visit site
Unless you have a really bad card, cash will always be more expensive than use a card. Best of all use a good card that offers a near perfect exchange rate. https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/credit-cards/travel-credit-cards/

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts