Spare keys

Sep 12, 2021
Visit site
Hi all,
Just a question that you might think is silly but.....

Do you take your spare caravan keys with you when you go away in the caravan in case you lose the originals?

Thanks
Steve

Apr 13, 2021
Visit site
I have 2 full sets, one attached to the car keys for daily use and one set in the padded sliding drawer under the drivers seat where they live permanently

Reactions: Steve1962
Nov 30, 2022
Visit site
Too right! It's well hidden in my car.

I also have a habitation door key secreted about the caravan thats accessible from outside. I defy anyone to find it within 20 minutes!

It amazes me the number of people who leave their spare car keys at homew "for safety" when away. Have they never heard of vehicle immobilisers? No key, no drivy home mister!

Reactions: RogerL
Jan 20, 2023
Visit site
I have genuinely never considered taking my spare keys with me. I suppose with us always being in the UK and living in the Midlands the spares are only a few hours away, but I like the idea of a spare door key being hidden somewhere on the caravan

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
I would be more concerned with having a spare car key at hand. I've always managed to get into the caravan without a key on the odd occasion when I was in such a predicament (even without damaging anything).

Last edited:
Reactions: RogerL
Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
Too right! It's well hidden in my car.

I also have a habitation door key secreted about the caravan thats accessible from outside. I defy anyone to find it within 20 minutes!

It amazes me the number of people who leave their spare car keys at homew "for safety" when away. Have they never heard of vehicle immobilisers? No key, no drivy home mister!
Our spare caravan key is hidden in the car and spare car key hidden in the caravan - and the "live" keys are on separate key rings to reduce the risk of losing both at the same time!

Reactions: Steve1962
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Our spare caravan key is hidden in the car and spare car key hidden in the caravan - and the "live" keys are on separate key rings to reduce the risk of losing both at the same time!
What would you do if the key in the car was mislaid and the caravan was locked?

Sep 12, 2021
Visit site
Thanks all
I will be taking the spare set of keys with me from now on.

Ps. I can confirm that lump hammers do exactly that….. cause lumps!!!

Steve

May 7, 2012
Visit site
Having lost one set when on tour I know the benefit of having the spare set with you. Normally I have one set and my wife the other.

Mar 24, 2014
Visit site
Yes! Definitely! I have one set, which normally reside in the car's door pocket when we are away from the van, and the other set are in the care, custody and control of the Senior Management Committee.

Aug 24, 2020
Visit site
I have a caravan key on my "minimal" keys - 1 car key, one caravan key, one front door key for home. Oh, and a spare key for Mrs Gozza's mobility scooter.

On a second key ring I have the two keys to get into the storage site, keys for each of the caravan immobiliser locks, and the cut off key for the motor mover. That key ring has a second habitation key for the caravan.

So yes, whenever we're away in the caravan we have a spare key with us.

Spare car keys we're not so good with, but I try to be strict with myself about always having a spare car key with me, whenever I'm far enough from home that getting back to collect a key would be a nuisance - a lesson I learned one day when I dropped the keys in a puddle and killed the bit that turns off the immobiliser. Luckily I was only at the storage site and I'd already dropped Mrs Gozza at home, so she could come in the other car with my spare key, but she wasn't pleased!

Aug 24, 2020
Visit site
I also have a habitation door key secreted about the caravan that's accessible from outside. I defy anyone to find it within 20 minutes!
I've done that with previous caravans, haven't got round to it with this one (we've only had it 18 months!). Suppose I ought to really

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts