Spare Wheel Carrier - Operation.

Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
Can anyone just advise me on the operation proceedure of the underslung spare wheel type carrier.

I know it has the large securing knob at the front but is the actual tyre secured to the carrier via a bolt or does it simply lay there in place.

When i undo the front securing knob do i pull the complete cradle out of its securing mounts from the other side of van or just so far out and allow to drop.

Also how do you keep the cradle up in the air with tyre on it has its fairly heavy to hold up whilst trying to secure.........is there a knack in doing it.

Thanks

Tony

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Auspom said:
Can anyone just advise me on the operation proceedure of the underslung spare wheel type carrier.

I know it has the large securing knob at the front but is the actual tyre secured to the carrier via a bolt or does it simply lay there in place.

When i undo the front securing knob do i pull the complete cradle out of its securing mounts from the other side of van or just so far out and allow to drop.

Also how do you keep the cradle up in the air with tyre on it has its fairly heavy to hold up whilst trying to secure.........is there a knack in doing it.

Thanks

Tony

The wheel is secured to its position in the carrier. You only need to pull it out from the end with the keep “wheel”. But if you have a puncture you will find it difficult or impossible to pull out. So prior to removing it you could run your caravan up a ramp. Fir normal servicing like tyre pressure check or greasing you generally have to pull the carrier rearwards.
Yes they are heavy and can take some effort / knack to getting it back in place.
For all the above reasons I binned mine and carried the spare in the van. Chained it underneath on site behind awning. It was also a safer option when touring in Europe.

Oct 8, 2006
Visit site
Two secrets with such a carrier:-
1 Pull the carrier out but not far enough to disengage the tubes. Take the wheel off. Wellie the wheel securing nut(s), the carrier tubes, and the retaining thread on the side of the chassis with Waxoyl. Slide the tubes in and out (full length) a few times to spread the Waxoyl all over, then put everything back.
2. The carrier retaining thread on the chassis has a hole through the end into which you can fit a small padlock to at least help to stop theft. Get a decent padlock such as Abus or Squire and also coat that liberally with Waxoyl. If you want to give it more protection cut a finger of a rubber glove, pull it over the lock, and secure it with a zip or similar - I never did and the lock opened easily after almost five years touring when we changed the van.

Sep 10, 2014
Visit site
I bought one of these because with the spare in it's well in the gas locker the nose weight was more than twice the advised reading.
I foolishly asked the company who sold me the van to fit the carrier, and next day got a phone call to say that it could only be fitted with access to the spare by pulling it out on the OFFSIDE. Can you imagine.
The reason they gave was that the tubing for the shower room air vent heating was in the way.
I brought it home,,got underneath ( having removed the whole spare wheel assembly ) and by moving four screws re-routed the venting tube, then re-fitted the spare assembly from the nearside.
Needless to say I DON'T use that company any more, and yes they are a main dealer for my make.
I use white grease on the 2 sliding tubes to keep them free as well as the 2 nuts holding the wheel on the carrier and the thread for the securing knob,,and I too have a padlock as a deterrent.
Only had to use it once so far and as "Otherclive" says run the van onto a ramp before attempting to get at the spare.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
As with OC, tried using the carrier on my drive a couple of times, found it to be dangerous to use , the wheel is the wrong way up in the carrier to check the pressure, as we used to travel around France a lot it would be deadly trying to get it out on the side of a road. Wheel now goes under the bed, and the carrier behind the garden shed.

Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
I have now removed the carrier completely and put the spare wheel under the rear lift up bed......far easy to access when needed.

What a pain in the ass to remove, undone the retaining nut, dropped it down and because the van is on a row of paving slabs it wouldnt drop low enough and spare jammed up against chassis rails then it was a ***** to get the 4 spring clips out of the retaining side.

I was never keen on this set up, i used to like the Avondales were the spare was located in a trap door in the floor right in the centre of the van.

Wonder why Swift, Bailey, Elddis and all the others did not adopt it.

Tony.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts