Spare Wheel Carrier

May 14, 2006
Visit site
I am looking to install an underslung spare wheel carrier bracket underneath my caravan (Towsure page 241, item 24). Has anybody got any experience of this job i.e. could it be easily done at home. My local dealer wants to charge £70 for the part (£37.75 in Towsure) and £45 labour. Any help would be appreciated.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I have the Alko one and they are far easier to fit than to slide out with a heavy spare wheel fitted.

The fitting is just a matter of treading through the pre drilled chassis holes and inserting a split pin(simplified version)

I would avoid the one in the picture and go for the Alko or similar with two legs rather than one which I would imagine prone to twisting when removing.

May 14, 2006
Visit site
I have the Alko one and they are far easier to fit than to slide out with a heavy spare wheel fitted.

The fitting is just a matter of treading through the pre drilled chassis holes and inserting a split pin(simplified version)

I would avoid the one in the picture and go for the Alko or similar with two legs rather than one which I would imagine prone to twisting when removing.
Much appreciated, thank you

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
It has an ALKO chassis.
Some years ago I purchased a second hand Al-Ko spare wheel carrier and it fitted directly on to my 1993 Fleetwood (BPW)0n changing to a Bailey 2004 model(AL-KO) I was able to change the carrier over as the punched holes in both chassis were the same. Make sure you get the correct carrier for the wheel size.

Mar 11, 2007
Visit site
Hi Lee

I fitted one of these Towsure carriers to my Abbey which has an Alko chassis. A piece of cake. The only advice I would give is to use plenty of grease on the sliding parts and threads as a friend of mine also fitted one dry and he had to use the spare wheel one day and couldn't get his wheel off without the use of a hacksaw!!!!

Tim

Mar 4, 2006
Visit site
I lengthened the tubes (by welding on pieces of tube) so I could pull it right out from under the 'van without the two parts separating, it's a bit of a struggle, lay on your back, to get the tubes inserted back together with a wheel on the carrier.

I think the Alko one must be better.

I've now got an Avondale with the spare wheel mounted in the floor (brilliant!)

Mar 4, 2006
Visit site
I lengthened the tubes (by welding on pieces of tube) so I could pull it right out from under the 'van without the two parts separating, it's a bit of a struggle, lay on your back, to get the tubes inserted back together with a wheel on the carrier.

I think the Alko one must be better.

I've now got an Avondale with the spare wheel mounted in the floor (brilliant!)
Sorry, I meant to add that I lengthened a Towsure one!

TRENDING THREADS