Spare Wheel Carrier

Oct 17, 2010
Visit site
I changed my van tyres end of last year. I was not going to change the spare, as it had never been used and was hidden under the van. I checked it anyway and found that the side wall, where it rested on the carrier frame was damaged, so change it. We had a trip booked so I fitted the new tyre onto the carrier, with the intention of removing it later, after reading the problems people had removing the spare when needed.
Well! today I finally got round to removing it. Removing the tyre it had slight damage already, mostly rubbing.
Removed the carrier, didn't realise how big it is, better off, off. Cleaned and repainted the Wheel, it can travel in Van from now on.

Feb 23, 2018
Visit site
Spare on the SB is under the fixed bed. Robs you of a clear space to put larger items, but it keeps it protected from the elements and is easy to service.

Oct 17, 2010
Visit site
I have no room in my 442 it will have to travel on the floor of the van i.e nose weight adjuster, then put it in the front locker on site.
My old Corniche had the spare fixed in the front locker, Why swift can't do that now???? .

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
DaveA1 said:
I have no room in my 442 it will have to travel on the floor of the van i.e nose weight adjuster, then put it in the front locker on site.
My old Corniche had the spare fixed in the front locker, Why swift can't do that now???? .

We did the same on our Bailey then used a heavy duty chain and lock to attach it to the chassis and then erected the awning. It could not be seen unless you were a hedgehog or mole!

Apr 10, 2014
Visit site
Hi OtherClive,
As Moles are apparently blind, a Mouse would have been a better choice of rodent.
Luckily for me, the Astella has a designated place for the spare wheel in the front locker.
Regards,

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Lappy said:
Hi OtherClive,
As Moles are apparently blind, a Mouse would have been a better choice of rodent.
Luckily for me, the Astella has a designated place for the spare wheel in the front locker.
Regards,

Thanks I got that one wrong, of course moles are insectivorous mammals and not rodents. Moley would only have got a bad headache. :)

Apr 6, 2017
Visit site
The worst caravan accessory even invented. Don’t jack up the caravan prior to taking the spare wheel off the carrier as the force needed to drag the carrier will risk pulling the van off the jack. To obtain more clearance to drag the spare wheel under the chassis rail the temptation is to unhitch the caravan and drop the nose but it needs to be attached to the car to jack it up to change the wheel.
If the puncture is on the near side don’t jack the van up hoping this will allow more clearance as on our van would result in the spare wheel hitting the jack.
If you tour in Europe you cannot get the spare wheel off the caravan without being in serious danger. Although it is possible to swop the spare wheel carrier to LHD spec.
Surely, it’s not beyond the genius of man to come up with a safe, easy to use and non tyre damaging spare wheel carrier?

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
GD485 said:
The worst caravan accessory even invented. Don’t jack up the caravan prior to taking the spare wheel off the carrier as the force needed to drag the carrier will risk pulling the van off the jack. To obtain more clearance to drag the spare wheel under the chassis rail the temptation is to unhitch the caravan and drop the nose but it needs to be attached to the car to jack it up to change the wheel.
If the puncture is on the near side don’t jack the van up hoping this will allow more clearance as on our van would result in the spare wheel hitting the jack.
If you tour in Europe you cannot get the spare wheel off the caravan without being in serious danger. Although it is possible to swop the spare wheel carrier to LHD spec.
Surely, it’s not beyond the genius of man to come up with a safe, easy to use and non tyre damaging spare wheel carrier?

Thanks GD, my thought exactly, took mine off the Coachman, saves 6 kg. Just keep it under the bed, no Wear on the tyre from rubbing either.

Oct 12, 2013
Visit site
I know it's all to do with weight contribution and distribution and centre of gravity & nose weight etc etc etc but it's a pity that the carrier couldn't be fitted to the rear Centre underneath then there would be no bother or danger of pulling it out from the rear .

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Craigyoung said:
I know it's all to do with weight contribution and distribution and centre of gravity & nose weight etc etc etc but it's a pity that the carrier couldn't be fitted to the rear Centre underneath then there would be no bother or danger of pulling it out from the rear .

Thats Too sensible.

Oct 17, 2010
Visit site

Thanks GD, my thought exactly, took mine off the Coachman, saves 6 kg. Just keep it under the bed, no Wear on the tyre from rubbing either.[/quote]

The wear on the tyre caused by the carrier was the reason I change the spare with the other two. If it had been stored properly, it could have waited a couple of years more. After all I believe it's the sunlight that dose the most damage, apart from the carrier.

Apr 6, 2017
Visit site
It’s not the spare wheel location. That’s pretty much ideal as far as weight distribution and effect on stability.
It’s the awful carrier function that causes the skinned knuckles.
The wheel needs to come out of the back but this entail far more metalwork to carry it.
More weight is not the modern trend in caravanning particularly if the increase doesn’t mean better performance our add another limited use gadget.
After all gadgets and lower MIRO sell vans, so the chance of getting AL-KO to come up with a new design is none.

Jul 15, 2008
Visit site
.......my old caravan had the spare wheel storage in the front locker.
I repositioned it to a carrier using the same fixing points as Alko.
The carrier I made myself in my workshop using a welder and steel tubing.
It locks to the chassis, is lighter than Alko's and I can unlock and remove it in around one minute.
Recently removed the Alko joke carrier from my new caravan and replaced it with mine.

........it is not that difficult to produce an improved design ;)

PS......no space in my caravan layout to carry the spare on board sensibly.

Apr 6, 2017
Visit site
Hi Gafferbill

Would it be ask too much to see a photo of your efforts.

A lot of caravan layouts limit the possibility of carrying the spare wheel inside the vehicle.

I think Alko put priority on other features and requirements than solely function. Like cost, profit and universal fitting.

Sep 29, 2016
Visit site
I am sure that more than a few could benefit from Gafferbill's modification.

Can we have a 'Here's how to' with some pics' Bill?

No point in just teasing us :p .

I for one am interested.

Anseo

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Anseo said:

I for one am interested.

Anseo

I recon you will need a meet up with Bill and buy him many beers. Especially as you didn't buy his Awning. !

Sep 29, 2016
Visit site
EH52ARH said:
Anseo said:

I for one am interested.

Anseo

I recon you will need a meet up with Bill and buy him many beers. Especially as you didn't buy his Awning. !

I did offer to buy Bill's awning Hutch.

He wanted way too much for me, 3£ plus a 5ver postage :lol:

Jul 15, 2008
Visit site
My spare wheel carrier..............
Fits in same chassis slots as the Alko carrier.
Spare wheel bolted to carrier....cannot touch anything other than carrier.
Fitted with plastic protectors to prevent vibration damage to tyre wall by carrier bars.
Locked to chassis with original Alko fixing together with padlock.
Carrier treated with wax anti rust and regularly inspected for ease of removal and continuity.
Tested for over 80,000 miles on old caravan with no isues.

20181112-103330.jpg

20181112-103601.jpg

20181112-103822.jpg

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Gafferbill said:
My spare wheel carrier..............
Fits in same chassis slots as the Alko carrier.
Spare wheel bolted to carrier....cannot touch anything other than carrier.
Fitted with plastic protectors to prevent vibration damage to tyre wall by carrier bars.
Locked to chassis with original Alko fixing together with padlock.
Carrier treated with wax anti rust and regularly inspected for ease of removal and continuity.
Tested for over 80,000 miles on old caravan with no isues.

20181112-103330.jpg

20181112-103601.jpg

20181112-103822.jpg

Nice piece of work. On a totally different view does your caravan sit on a sideways slope? Someone suggested my axle problem could have been due to being stored with a sideways slope. But I don’t buy that as it’s only about 1.5 inches difference between wheels.

Apr 6, 2017
Visit site
Hi OtherClive,

I maybe wrong but Gafferbill’s photos maybe the cause of the lean!
I can’t see parking on a slope would cause 1.5” of suspension settlement unless the you live on the side of Ben Nevis.
Is your caravan a Bailey? There have been a few threads on the same subject regarding a few models.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts