Speed Cameras

Page 3 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
What gets me is that most of the cameras seem to be sited on roads where it would be safe to drive at or even above the limit - i.e. Motorways etc. I am not advocating speeding - far from it but I do not think speed in itself is dangerous.

We suffer from young lads in clapped out cars driving in a horrendous fashion in our town - they ignore road markings, crossings etc.

Are there any police about to spot this? - N0

Are there any cameras to log this? - No

Are there speed cameras on the local dual carrigway - Yes

Jun 7, 2005
Visit site
A.38 Devon Expressway.

Now they're on the bridges. Tripod style cameras above all lanes, and nasty little silver and blue vans which don't show up at a distance.

Also another (yes another) camera location in Plymouth, where I believe there are more speed cameras than any other location in the UK.

Travelling in towards the city, be aware of the Speed Camera Partnership van (grey/blue) which parks on the grass intersection at the embankment/Mutley turn, about half a mile after the Sainsbury's turn off. They have a view of all three lanes, so braking at the last minute aint going to do you any good at all!
Thanks to Keith for the warning, driving down to catch ferry from Plymouth on Saturday so this is good information delivered " Just in Time"

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Billy

To add the your comment, the 2 counties who have not installed speed cameras (Northumberland and North Yorkshire) have seem a reduction in the number of deaths, this has been do by using alternatives to speed cameras unmarked police cars, better signs, and traffic carming.

The problem is that the road safety partnerships can use monies from fines to spend on further road safety developments, so lets see, do they use the money to pay for extra police who can detect more the just speeding motorist, better signs to inform drivers of dangers, traffic carming to force drivers to slow at dangerous spots, all of which gives them not return for their investment (financially) or do they stick up a speed camera??????

Just to add, if they really were there to reduce speed why are we seeing a record number of motorists fined? surely they must have been speeding.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Billy

To add the your comment, the 2 counties who have not installed speed cameras (Northumberland and North Yorkshire) have seem a reduction in the number of deaths, this has been do by using alternatives to speed cameras unmarked police cars, better signs, and traffic carming.

The problem is that the road safety partnerships can use monies from fines to spend on further road safety developments, so lets see, do they use the money to pay for extra police who can detect more the just speeding motorist, better signs to inform drivers of dangers, traffic carming to force drivers to slow at dangerous spots, all of which gives them not return for their investment (financially) or do they stick up a speed camera??????

Just to add, if they really were there to reduce speed why are we seeing a record number of motorists fined? surely they must have been speeding.
Sorry didn't put a semi colon between speed camera and police cars

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
From the reports I have seen the results are the opposite of what you suggest Billy. Accidents and fatalities arround Schools are reduced where speed cameras are sited. I have no problem with this or their being sited in other built up areas.

I feel that those on long stretches of open road or dual carrigeway are simply there for the revenue they generate - and I actually do not have a problem with that in some ways either, in that if the law is broken then a penalty exists.

In France I understand that on the spot fines exist, and that if you go too fast between one toll and another a computor works out your speed and you can be fined a set ammount - I do not think they have a points system.

What seems unfair to me is the fact that our points system has caused jobs to be lost. What on earth is the sence in that.

Also cameras = lower level policing so I see more tailgating and other bad driving such as the young tearaway element whose driving skills are honed on a Playstation rather than by real experience.

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
If I remember correctly, Billy's point is borne out by the ACPO, whoo have said that speed cameras have outlived their usefullness as far as reducing accidents , and are merely cash generators, and as such should all be removed. This will never happen though, as it is one of the best cash generators going, with cameras in Hampshire alone generating over 2 billion pounds in a year. This would indicate that motorists either have vast disposable income to waste on penalties, do not care about losing their licences, or are simply not paying attention to their driving.Speed on its own does not kill, inappropriate speed does kill.

Having watched a programme about policing the roads, with real policemen, in Yorkshire the budget has been cut by 10% from 15% of the annual budget, so a mere 5% is being used to catch the dangerous drivers, those that use mobile phones whilst driving, those who overtake on double whites, and those speeding at stupid speeds.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts