Speed Cameras

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Just a cautionary note to all you fellow motorists who venture onto the A30 Exeter-Okehampton stretch of dual carriageway. There was I cruising along, keeping up with everybody else in the overtaking lane passing a string of HGV's (who obscured the little white van in the layby) at about 85mph (solo of course!) a speed which most solo motorists cruise at on the motorways and dual c/ways. Two weeks later in drops a Notice of Prosecution from the wrongly named "Safety Camera Partnership" who clocked me at 84mph. I NEVER speed in towns and villages, but I do get a move on, on M/ways & fast mainroads. It was a bright sunny dry day with excellent visibility, my car has a quoted top speed of 144mph, I've been driving for 34 years - about 40,000 miles per annum, so can someone please explain what is unsafe?? Why don't the police dedicate more time to catching the boy racers near where I live who regularly do tyre burning wheelies from the T/lights, or those idiots who don't put their lights on in the rain/dusk/forget to switch rear fogs off etc? That's the 3rd time I've been done this year, each time within 10-15 mph of the national 70mph limit, twice by mobile speed cameras, and I'm really cheesed off with it. Any other thoughts?

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Speeding - that is what you were doing. I assume the MAXIMUM speed for the road you were on was 70mph, so 84 is speeding. The max speed is only considered safe if the conditions allow - you can get prosecuted for driving at the max allowed speed if you have or cause an accident by doing so when the conditions did not allow. What is 'safe' is determined not only by the capability of the car, but the driver and the road and weather conditions too.

You have been caught three times. How many times have you not been caught? Is it not about time you slowed down a bit?

I am not a goody goody and do sympathise with you to some extent. However, as a serving fire officer I go to many road traffic accidents and see the results of excessive speed and driving without consideration of the 'conditions'.

So far it has cost you about

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Mike, the simple answer is,,the national speed limit for motorways is 70 mph, NOT 84 or any other number that comes into your head.

It dosent matter what kind of day it is, or what mood your in, the limit is the limit and to exceed it is, apart from stupid, and expensive WHEN you get caught, but potentially puts other drivers at risk should you have an accident, as it increases your impact speed.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Don't expect any thympathy off me - you should have learnt your lesson the first time you were caught. The speed limit is there whether you like it or not, and should be adhered to. I am not by any means a do-gooder or connected to the legal system/police in any way. My wife has three points for exceeding the limit and she now has taken heed of the message - if you break the law you deserve to get caught so stop moaning and respect the law and other road users.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
84mph sounds to me a bit on the fast side for a person "who never speeds in towns or villages", accept that you were caught, pay your fine and get on with your life.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Mike, Unlucky mate, I too was caught last week, 69mph in a 50mph stretch of motorway, was able to get on the brakes quick enough as I was sitting at about 85mph (beleive its a court summons if caught 30mph above limit). Perhaps it would be worthwhile getting a speedcamera detector fitted, might save your license next time.?

Oct 8, 2004
Visit site
So no sympathy at all for a (relatively) law abiding citizen - no wonder caravanners are looked down on by the rest of the motoring world!

To all those with a holier than thou attitude, I'm presuming you have never done anything wrong? Or maybe you are one of the safe bunch who don't speed - like the guy in the Corolla who was doing a nice steady 56mph when he pulled out in front of me (doing almost exactly 70) on the A1 this morning....I don't think he ever realised I was there, even when I was fighting to get it straight after I'd put two wheels on the central reservation.

Speed isn't necessarily the issue - awareness is. I drive about 50k miles a year, in a highly maintained company car that is designed for German autobahn. I am generally very aware of what is around me (including cameras) - so no points recently. I am regularly astounded by just how ignorant, unaware or downright dangerous some other road users are - including some caravanners.

As for safety cameras, well just look at the skid marks on the road surface as you approach them and tell me that such heavy braking is safe! I do drive safely - 30mph in a 30 zone, I'm a parent and know the reason! - but i do drive fast where it is safe to do so. Even many senior police officers reckon the speed limit needs increasing to reflect the improvements in road design and technology in recent years.

But what do they know?

Mike, invest in a good detector - they seem to help.

Ian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
No messages of suport - this must tell you something! I drive a 21 year old Range Rover and in over 9 years of ownership (runs on LPG, so it is affordable!) I find that the pleasure of driving slower, within the speed limit a far more satisfactory way of getting from A to B. I use it for my business as well as pleasure so believe I am more at risk than most.

When I drove cars (Audi's in the main) I found that it took far more effort to drive within the law.

Some time ago a friend of mine who was an habitual drinker was stopped and prosecuted. The fine was substantial but not as difficult for him as the 19 month ban.

He came round seeking sympathy but got none. We, and others had warned him what was likely to happen but he was stupid and carried on. All he could say was "why didn't someone take my keys from me when they saw me getting into my car?"

This responce is as stupid as your bleating on about how life is unfair to YOU.

Grow up. You know the rules or do you think they do not apply to you?

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Mike, you have 3 choices. 1) Persuade the government to increase the National speed limit, unlikely; 2) Stick to the National speed limit or 3) Keep paying the fines until you get to 12 points and lose your licence. Make your choice and stop whingeing!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Sorry Mike but you asked for answers, Now you have admitted breaking the law you deserve all you get does 84mph get you there any quicker I think not! GS

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I'm absolutely behind Mike on this one. Yes, in towns and villages I observe the 30 m.p.h. limit even the 40's and 50's. However, when it comes to miles and miles of empty motorway ( I frequently drive at 4 or 5 in the morning on weekends) and I can see very few other cars on the road 70 m.p.h. seems unnecessarily slow. Call me a cynic, but speed cameras outside built up areas are a nice little earner. Evening all. George T.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I've found there is a way to avoid these nasty gadgets, so far it's never failed. Very often in the area these cameras are in use, there are posts with numbers on at the side of the road. These numbers vary, sometimes 30, 40, 50 etc. If you don't let your speed (which can be found by examining a little dial on the dashboard of your car) go above this, you will find these nasty cameras ignore you. Give it a try. Oh, and why does your car have a top speed of 144 mph?

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
What all these replys fail to address that the cause of accidents generally has little to do with speeding, more agressive driving combined with speed, not the same thing. The statistics are not easily available and as usual can be twisted to suit current policy of get the speeder on the motorway not in built up areas. A car built for speed is safer at 90 mph than a 40 tonne wagon at 70 mph 2 mtrs from the truck in front, driving without due care but rarely enforced as its seen every day, not easy to enforce as it is hard to measure. It is unfortunate that along with reading the highway code and roadcraft one now has to study speed camera tactics. There are ways to avoid them. These do gooders really are not real. The police speed when no emergency is on, they use thier handheld phones. Whats good for the goose is good for the gander. I agree there are perfectly safe times to exceed the speed limit and times when it needs to rigarously enforced unfortunatly common sense does not seem to prevail.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Sir,i drive 40,000 miles a year and simply stick to the speed limits.cameras everywhere,mobile cameras. you know the rules,its as simple as that. thanks to you more cameras are being erected at your expense!!!,great aint it

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Agree with all the other posters so far I stick to 70 and am fed up with people overtaking at all kinds of speed - whats the point of having a car that does 144mph even 90mph - 70 is the max speed by law

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I got caught twice in one week last year, 82mph on a dual carriage way, 37mph in a 30. I broke the law and had 6 points added to my clean licence.

I realised I needed to do something to improve my driving so I took my Advanced Motorcycle test with the IAM. The training I received with them has totally changed my riding and my driving. I now stick to the speed limits, look further ahead, react to things a lot sooner and I believe it has made me a much smoother driver/rider.

All I can say is that speed cameras are a money maker, we the motorist are an easy target but if we all drive at the correct speed the government will not make money from us and will have to find something else to pick on, like cyclists that go through red lights, ride on the pavements, ride with no lights at night. Or maybe they could spend the money from speeding fines on more traffic police. They could then stop the up turn in Drink Drivers, drivers with no insurance, tax etc.

Sorry, went into a rant there, if like me you feel you could do something to improve your driving then look up your nearest IAM group, you may just enjoy it!

Cheers

Mark

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Mike.

A few points of wizdom. Please stop knocking the Police and the law enforcement staff. These people do a very difficult and thankless task to keep us and our loved ones safe. I'd bet you'd be the first one who went running to the law for help if you needed it!

Do yourself a favour before you're washed off the insides of your 144mph car.

THINK!

How would my loved ones feel watching some vicar plant me in a churchyard?

How would I feel having to look someone in the eyes knowing that I've killed a member of thier family?

You are driving a lethal weapon, no diferent from a gun or a knife, so please use it with respect. Oh, and if the good advice from the forum doesn't sink in than I hope that you are stopped or fine again. That way the law will be able to do what it always does with habitual criminals and that is keep us safe from them!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Just to straighten out one point. L.G.Vs (7.5 tonnes and upwards)registered after1988 (F prefix) are, by law, restricted to 56 m.p.h (90 k.p.h) and are fitted with electronic speed limiters linked to the vehicle tachograph. A few unscrupulous companies/drivers have fitted overide systems that allow the vehicle to speed without it showing on the tacho chart, highly illegal and needless to say, dangerous. Speed restricted H.G.Vs end up nose to tail, and take ages to overtake each other because, given normal traffic/road conditions, they are all doing the same maximum speed. A lot of the drivers haven't the commensense to ease up a bit and let the overtaker go.

So if you have a H.G.V struggling to get by and your speed is hovering around the 55 m.p.h mark, lift your foot off the accelerator for a couple of seconds, and let them overtake. They are usually running to a tight schedule, while we caravanners are not.

Finally, be very wary of foreign registered H.G.Vs. most of the time they haven't a clue about what is coming up on their right hand side, especially when they are negotiating roundabouts or pulling out to overtake......

Barney, (38 years H.G.V experience, now just retired and enjoying my caravanning)

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Mike,

The answer is you where speeding in the overtaking lane, been on a combined safety course with the police, which included a 20 mins in a unmarked police car, he advised that you can exceed the speed limits when overtaking providing you return to the inside lane upone completion of overtaking, and comply with the speed restriction applicable to the road.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts