Speed Limiters🤮

Page 2 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Unfortunately cameras do not prevent incidents as they are there to make money! What is needed is more traffic officers on the ground patrolling the streets. That is a far better deterrent than any safety speed camera. Many people know where the sped safety cameras are located and slow down for that area and then speed up once out of the zone. Also most Satnavs have a list of speed safety cameras anyway!
Surely since safety cameras are sited at accident risk spots, the very fact that some drivers reduce their speed to speed limit tells me that the camera has fulfilled its function. The cameras on gantries like M42 and M25 and other motorways have reduced accidents and improved traffic flow particularly at busy periods. Same with mobile safety vans and traffic officers too.

Reactions: Jcloughie
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Surely since safety cameras are sited at accident risk spots, the very fact that some drivers reduce their speed to speed limit tells me that the camera has fulfilled its function. The cameras on gantries like M42 and M25 and other motorways have reduced accidents and improved traffic flow particularly at busy periods. Same with mobile safety vans and traffic officers too.
That may be the case with some cameras, but then I am wondering why many are in areas where there has never been an accident?

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
That may be the case with some cameras, but then I am wondering why many are in areas where there has never been an accident?
we should take heart as I understand most aren’t active because their income has dropped and many are old technology that Safety Camera Partnerships cannot find the income to replace them. This was happening before Lockdown 1 but the pandemic was another factor.
Re your last point there’s a camera on the A4 Batheston dual carriageway bypass. A stretch of road with a 50 mph limit and no junctions. It’s there to try and reduce environmental noise to the good residents of Batheaston along with high earth banks and trees too. 🙁

Reactions: Buckman
Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
VSLs M25 , M4, M42, work very well imo. Primarily they maintain traffic flow. and avoid stop starts and rear end collisions.
The M4 /M5 Almondsbury junction is a good example. Prior to VSL you could take ages to clear the junction. Now you rarely have to stop. 99% stick to the VSL, A less stressful drive.

Last edited:
Reactions: otherclive
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
VSLs M25 , M4, M42, work very well imo. Primarily they maintain traffic flow. and avoid stop starts and rear end collisions.
The M4 /M5 Almondsbury junction is a good example. Prior to VSL you could ages to clear the junction. Now you rarely have to stop. 99% stick to the VSL, A less stressful drive.
The cameras at Almondsbury, and presumably other locations of VSL gantries are alway live. So drivers exceeding the 70 mph national speed limit are at risk of a fine and points depending on their excess speed.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Unfortunately cameras do not prevent incidents as they are there to make money! What is needed is more traffic officers on the ground patrolling the streets. That is a far better deterrent than any safety speed camera. Many people know where the sped safety cameras are located and slow down for that area and then speed up once out of the zone. Also most Satnavs have a list of speed safety cameras anyway!

Ask yourself who is breaking the law?

If all drivers could be trusted to keep to the speed limits, we wouldn't need speed cameras. The cameras would not be cash generators if drivers took their responsibilities to uphold the law seriously. It's only those who choose to speed who complain about the cameras.

Whilst I agree that some camera's have earned a reputation as a cash generator, and how many drivers slow down for a known camera location then deliberately speed up above the limit after passing it, then complain about being them as if it's their rite to be able to speed and break the law.

But if by being present (in use or not) it has prevented a serious incident, then it has done its job and probably paid for itself.

If you don't like a particular piece of legislation, it does not give you a right to flagrantly ignore it and break it (e.g. speeding). You have the right to challenge it to try to get it changed through prescribed procedures, but as long as it's been lawfully instigated, it applies untill it's been changed. However I seriously doubt any individual could succeed to get a permanent speed limit raised or removed.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
I know two very dangerous two way roads with the occasional third lane (direction specified) for overtaking. The A9 Perthshire and the A361, North Devon Link road.
There are a number of fixed cameras, both directions. Regulars know where they are and do a “Prof”. Holiday makers don’t know. They get caught and pay the fine making Buckman money🤪.
However, the Devon Constabulary are no fools. I believe they have four plain clothed vehicles travelling the road daily. They do catch the speeders👏👏👏. So again we have Buckman cash but more importantly Prof safety👍👍
They also use on a very regular basis a mobile safety camera unit. It is very discreetly hidden, only becoming visible when it’s too late to slow.
It too generates high cash income. But that pays for the policing etc keeping the road safe

Reactions: otherclive
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Ask yourself who is breaking the law?

If all drivers could be trusted to keep to the speed limits, we wouldn't need speed cameras. The cameras would not be cash generators if drivers took their responsibilities to uphold the law seriously. It's only those who choose to speed who complain about the cameras.

Whilst I agree that some camera's have earned a reputation as a cash generator, and how many drivers slow down for a known camera location then deliberately speed up above the limit after passing it, then complain about being them as if it's their rite to be able to speed and break the law.

But if by being present (in use or not) it has prevented a serious incident, then it has done its job and probably paid for itself.

If you don't like a particular piece of legislation, it does not give you a right to flagrantly ignore it and break it (e.g. speeding). You have the right to challenge it to try to get it changed through prescribed procedures, but as long as it's been lawfully instigated, it applies untill it's been changed. However I seriously doubt any individual could succeed to get a permanent speed limit raised or removed.

At no time did I suggest breaking the law like you are inferring. I stick to the speed limit as see no reason to speed as I have all the time in the world being retired.

I suggested that having traffic officers patrolling is a far better deterrent than a camera at a fixed spot especially on A roads. Is there anyone on this forum that can honestly state that they have never exceeded the speed limit in all their lives?

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
At no time did I suggest breaking the law like you are inferring. I stick to the speed limit as see no reason to speed as I have all the time in the world being retired.

I suggested that having traffic officers patrolling is a far better deterrent than a camera at a fixed spot especially on A roads. Is there anyone on this forum that can honestly state that they have never exceeded the speed limit in all their lives?
😎😎

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site

If you're going to take part in a general discussion to play Devil's advocate you shouldn't take any points that oppose your stance personally.
Nobody is making inferences about any individual here, and no sane person is going to potentially incriminate themselves by owning up to law breaking on a public forum.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
Our car has a speed limit indication now. This does work by using a camera which can read the speed limit signs, but is probably unsuitable as it is not 100% accurate. On the motorway it can get confused by picking up lower speed signs if fitted at the start of a slip road, will often not work if the windscreen has any snow or frost partly covering it and does seem to make the odd mistake, which could cause problems. I do believe though that the newer ones use GPS, but in neither case is there any cost to the government in setting up a system to enforce its use.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts