SPLIT RELAY ZR1220

Jan 26, 2009
Visit site
My split relay operates ok then releases all the time. I have checked the wiring, the voltage is 13.7plus when the car is running but the relay will not keep operated. Any ideas please as its sending me crackers

Thanks

Glen

Mar 10, 2006
Visit site
glen

i am not sure what the pull in voltage is, but 13.7v sounds a little low.

With a good alternator, with no lights on etc, i would expect 14.5 volts and above.

Check you alternator volts at the large terminal on the alternator, compare this to the volts across the battery. Both should be in the region of 14.5 volts or higher say 14.7 volts.

If the alternator output volts are ok. Then you may have a bad connection to the relay.

On my car the fitter picked up direct of the battery via a fuse, then back to the split charger in the boot of the car.

I would not expect a joint between the two.

Jun 11, 2012
Visit site
Glen I had the same on one of my Fronteras and found it was a very bad earth connection so Make a good earth at vehicle and make sure you have good earh connection at you plugs and sockets

I hope this is some help for you

Sir Roger

Jan 21, 2007
Visit site
I have had problems with my fridge when towing in that it clicks on and off continually so does not cool. I'm sure the problem is in my car and not the 'van. Could the Split Relay you speak of the same thing that is causing my problem?

Is the advice given applicable to me too?

It's a long standing fault that no one can fix and I have almost given up on solving it.

Mar 10, 2006
Visit site
Tram

It could be, the split relay coil circuit is confined totally to the car, it relies on sufficient pull in volts to energise the relay, the relay makes a contact close, which in turn allows the fridge supply through to the tow bar sockets.

When the car engine is switched off, the battery volts quickly decay, at some point the drop out voltage is reached, and the split relay coil circuit is de-energised, the supply to the fridge cut off.

As sir roger says, do not overlook the "earth" connection, this is usually a short wire to the cars body work.

Jun 11, 2012
Visit site
Tram .Also give yor plug and socket a good spray with WD40 this will help clean any residue on the pins , some body quite a while ago gave the terminals a spray with Cilit Bang and said was good for cleaning the pins

Never used it so no comment

Good Luck Sir Roger

Jan 26, 2009
Visit site
Thanks everyone

I ran an earth from my -ve terminal at my batter. ( ie GOOD earth )and the battery lead direct to the Battery +ve.

Guess what it now works.

So to all those having this problem try this. Many Thanks

Glen

Jan 21, 2007
Visit site
And thanks to you all for the tips from me too.

I have done a cursory look at the wires to see if any were loose bot they weren't. I didn't check the earth connection though.

I will carry out all your suggestions next week.

Oct 24, 2007
Visit site
Tram

My earth looked good and seem to test ok but I ran a thicker wire from the -ve just to prove it and it worked

Good luck

Glen
Glen, I hope you've included an inline fuse on your +ve lead at the take off point from the battery.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts