Spoilt for choice, 3yo or 5yo?

Sep 24, 2008
Visit site
Looking to change towcar. Prob is which should I choose between an 06 plate mondeo2.0dci Ghia, 02 plate passat, 03 plate 5 series bmw 2.0d; all with 50 k miles and all the same cost?

My head says go with the ford but the others are prettier?

Also I thought times were hard for car sales - one of the reasons for changing cars but have not seen any evidence in the attitude of the salesmen.

Jul 25, 2007
Visit site
The Mondeo is by far the best of these three cars. The Passat has never been as good a car to drive as the Mondeo, and from 2001 the Mondeo has been just as well built as the Passat. The BMW is a nice car, but is over rated and while it may be no more expensive to buy it will be much more expensive to run and maintain.

Sep 24, 2008
Visit site
I understand that the mondeo has very good reviews. Just not very pretty is it? and how do you find a diesel without galactic miles on it? Have looked at several 06 plated ones but all have 60 odd k miles? And they all sound noisier than the one I already have (8 yrs old).

Drove 150 miles yesterday to look at 3 cars. One already sold by the time I got there, one advertised but not in stock yet and one that looked like it had carried coal for 3 years.

Nov 2, 2005
Visit site
Hi Graham

If it's the old style Mondeo that was a Jag in disguise, go for it. Ours was fantasic didn't know you were pulling a weight.

we have the new style one now, it's ok, but weve noticed when it rains you cannot see out of the driver mirror, stuck with it for three years, how I hate wishing time away.

I might look for a jag!!!!!!

Jun 22, 2007
Visit site
With regards to the BMW I owned one and did 120,000 miles noemal driving and towing throughout France .It was absolutely reliable never suffered any major breakdowns so I would not consider it expevsive to run,its fuuel consumption for a large car is good 45 solo, 28 towing.I would not hesitate to buy one again the only downside is the price as you have no doubt found out but a BM with only 50,000 should be a good buy as long as has full service history.

Sep 24, 2008
Visit site
well I went with the head and bought an 06 Mondeo 2.0tdci zetec estate. Have to say it drove very well for the 125 miles home in the rain. Bags more power than the Zafira. Seats are much better but not so many cubby holes to put stuff. The boot is huge tho. Now to put the towbar on and take the van to Cornwall.

Thanks for all the advice.

Jul 25, 2007
Visit site
Graham the Mondeo is a great car to drive, and I don't agree with you that it is ugly! Of the three cars you mentioned I actually think it is the best looking.

Sep 24, 2008
Visit site
Have to admit its growing on me. SHMBO likes it anyway which is the main thing;-)

Towbar on today. Next is the electrics. Have to find a way in to the main loom and towhitch plug.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts