Spontaneity has taken a beating.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
We have just returned from a nice six days near Malvern and my wife said that the next break should be by the coast. So I searched CMHC as there are sites in Dorset that we have used. Not a chance in September for dates that we can go. As our daughter will be working the next six months on the wards as opposed to in the community, our short breaks have to be Thursday to Sunday, but while the sites aren't fully booked every day the key day of Friday on some is fully booked even though there may be availability on a Thursday and the Saturday/Sunday. Looks like the good old days of spontaneity have gone for good.

On that subject if you plan to visit a English Heritage or NT property you have to book in advance and at Malvern are we found all slots booked a week ahead. No refunds if the weather is bad and you decide not to go ahead with the visit. At least the walking was good.(y)

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Shame Clive. NT have issued an edict asking no one drives to their properties, only those who can walk!
Dusty
I wonder what planet some of these people come from? Many aren’t even served very well, if at all, by public transport. Still e-bikes have 60-90 mile ranges perhaps that might be a compromise 🤭

Mel

Mar 17, 2007
Visit site
TBH spontaneity to go to CAMC sites at a weekend was already pretty bruised before Covid came along.
mel

Reactions: JezzerB
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Have you tried Ross Park in Devon? We also like Eastfleet Farm in Weymouth in Dorset. Both have fully servcied pitches if required.
Thank you that's helpful. I was looking at CMHC as they seem to have good standards for Covid protection plus if the situation changes there's no deposit to loose. We lost quite a chunk earlier this year when booked at Waterrow. But I will be looking at CCC, CL/CS and private sites given the log jam that one gets with the CMHC 12 month ahead bookings without limit.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
Spontaneity and flexibility has been getting more difficult for decades - there simply is no magic answer to the high demand for pitches on Friday and Saturday nights caused by the combination of those wanting to get away for the weekend and those wanting a longer holiday.

Vastly increasing the number of pitches would solve the arithmetic problem but would put pitch costs up as sites would have to cope with half empty sites mid-week. Reserving some pitches for short notice bookings won't work either as those pitches would probably remain unused mid-week.

Reactions: otherclive
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Thank you that's helpful. I was looking at CMHC as they seem to have good standards for Covid protection plus if the situation changes there's no deposit to loose. We lost quite a chunk earlier this year when booked at Waterrow. But I will be looking at CCC, CL/CS and private sites given the log jam that one gets with the CMHC 12 month ahead bookings without limit.
Either of those sites mentioned will have standards that far exceed any CMC sites. When the lockdown lifted we were the 3rd caravan onto Eastfleet and were more than happy with the standards. Although CMC members we hardly every use their over priced sites preferring CLs or commercial sites. We always try for sites with pitches that have water and waste water connections in addition to EHU. Then no necessity to use on site facilities. :D

Mel

Mar 17, 2007
Visit site
Have been on 3 private sites since lockdown eased. Can’t complain about Covid secure precautions on any. Hand sanitiser, spaced out usable shower cubicles, one in one out of the shop, met at the gate so didn’t have to go inside to check in. Look for the “ Good to go” logo.
mel

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Have been on 3 private sites since lockdown eased. Can’t complain about Covid secure precautions on any. Hand sanitiser, spaced out usable shower cubicles, one in one out of the shop, met at the gate so didn’t have to go inside to check in. Look for the “ Good to go” logo.
mel
What deposits were required and did you have to pay in full prior to arrival. Having been stung once this year I’m keen not to get caught again if HMG should suddenly announce a local or regional restrictions.

Mel

Mar 17, 2007
Visit site
What deposits were required and did you have to pay in full prior to arrival. Having been stung once this year I’m keen not to get caught again if HMG should suddenly announce a local or regional restrictions.
Ah yes, that might be the rub. Yes paid in full and crossed fingers. CLs on the other hand don’t always want a deposit.
mel

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
We are at present on our second site since lockdown this one we are stopping is by far the best one the Toilet block / Shower are closed . the hardstand service pitch we are on with it own tap ,waste pipe drain has been sanitized , Chemical point sanitizer Gel for you to wash your hands even the fob key for the barrier been sanitized ....,.. There is hand sanitizer all around the site we paid a deposit and rest in full yesterday . On arrival yesterday would you like a drink so i got a coffee and some cake .great. this site has a Cafe this morning i had a sausage & egg bap..

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
If anyone doubts the demand on CMHC sites it is a real eye opener to look at the “late (non ) availability charts. Probably no more than 100 pitches throughout the whole of U.K. in next three weeks. (n)

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Thats the problem with the CMHC, you can reserve without deposit, call on a Friday afternoon and there is availability. Don't like clubs main sites, not normally near a pubs ( walking distance ) 3/4 mile level.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Thats the problem with the CMHC, you can reserve without deposit, call on a Friday afternoon and there is availability. Don't like clubs main sites, not normally near a pubs ( walking distance ) 3/4 mile level.
So many where the Friday is locked out and full. It effectively prevents a long weekend or a week or twos bookings. I could start to make bookings well in advance and then cancel as time moves along but that’s not my style. Also because we are supporting our daughter who is doing a mental health nursing degree and her 15 year old daughter we are restricted to dates that align with school, university and hospital wards dates. So ringing on a Friday isn’t practical. Will be looking at Affiliated Sites and Private sites but the price delta for three nights end of September is >£43 compared to CMHC main sites. That’s a meal out 😱

Reactions: Hutch
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Well we have now booked for four nights on a commercial at the end of September. The East Fleet site looked very nice but we have gone for the Wareham Forest site as we know the area of the heathland and coast. End of October we are also booked for Norfolk on a BoB site . The CMHC CL on the site was £38pn so we "downgraded" to a super serviced pitch at £33pn!! I'm now thinking I may get some waste water piping just in case I don't feel like hauling the grey water 5meters or so. At one time we could do a month away for £300, how times have moved on. But it's still cheaper than one holiday that we took where the minimum daily spend per head was $250 per night not including flights.

Reactions: Hutch
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Well we have now booked for four nights on a commercial at the end of September. The East Fleet site looked very nice but we have gone for the Wareham Forest site as we know the area of the heathland and coast. End of October we are also booked for Norfolk on a BoB site . The CMHC CL on the site was £38pn so we "downgraded" to a super serviced pitch at £33pn!! I'm now thinking I may get some waste water piping just in case I don't feel like hauling the grey water 5meters or so. At one time we could do a month away for £300, how times have moved on. But it's still cheaper than one holiday that we took where the minimum daily spend per head was $250 per night not including flights.
We carry two 3m lengths and a 1m length of ribber piping and use joiners to find a suitable for the waste water. BTW are you sure that the CL is charging £38 a night as that is awfully expensive for a CL?

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
We carry two 3m lengths and a 1m length of ribber piping and use joiners to find a suitable for the waste water. BTW are you sure that the CL is charging £38 a night as that is awfully expensive for a CL?

Thanks, the only time I've used service pitch I took along some ribbed flexible plastic drainage tube but when unleashed from the front locker is was like a manic Anaconda. !! I guess your 3m lengths are plastic white UPVC?

The Cl is that price but they are superb pitches separated by hedges for privacy and all of the other site facilities available. we visited the site some years ago but the CL gets booked up very far in advance. The site is the Old Brick Kilns a BoB and Regional winner and consistently well placed in PC annual listings.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Thanks, the only time I've used service pitch I took along some ribbed flexible plastic drainage tube but when unleashed from the front locker is was like a manic Anaconda. !! I guess your 3m lengths are plastic white UPVC?

The Cl is that price but they are superb pitches separated by hedges for privacy and all of the other site facilities available. we visited the site some years ago but the CL gets booked up very far in advance. The site is the Old Brick Kilns a BoB and Regional winner and consistently well placed in PC annual listings.
Certainly would never pay that for a CL no matter how good it is. :D We use the ribbed flexible piping for drainage. I use cable ties to keep it together when rolled up in the front locker. I don't have the cable ties tight, just a bit loose so that I can reuse them when packing up.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Certainly would never pay that for a CL no matter how good it is. :D We use the ribbed flexible piping for drainage. I use cable ties to keep it together when rolled up in the front locker. I don't have the cable ties tight, just a bit loose so that I can reuse them when packing up.
Think I will use Velcro One Wrap bundling tape. Easy to adjust.

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
At present we are staying on a Camping and caravan club site it was a 5 C/L it now got 30 Pitches , we are on a Hardstanding service pitch Tap Waste drain Some with Astro turf for Awning per night £23 (Toilet Block /Shower is closed) Cafe & Shop available i will booking for next season

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts