Sportsperson of the Year For Garry

May 12, 2006
Visit site
12 Dec 2006 05:33 PM I never said world or even off shore yachting.

I did mainly coastal and dinghy sailing and I got into it through the RN, where it is considered good training and can be done very cheaply.

Must have been at Jupiter Point ???

Val & Frank

Sep 13, 2006
Visit site
I have stayed at Excellent but not an officer if that is what you were thinking.

I did RYA quuals in dinghysailing and powered craft at the RN sailing school at WI.

We used to take the joint services sailing club yachts out of the marina by the old HMS Dolphin at Gosport, the school is now at Raleigh but the marina has not moved - I should have said the submarine museum or Fort Blockhouse.

May 12, 2006
Visit site
Hi Garry,

I am ex Navy, but it would appear long before your time my sevice number would be D/092886. I received my vetrans badge last week for service in Aden in 1966 !!!!

Wish you well

Val & Frank

G

Small world Frank. I was there in 64 and still have a watch that works and was bought in the Crater.

Had a Minolta lens to that we checked out and was then boxed, we took it out again just before paying only to find it had been swapped for a damaged one. Got a further price reduction and 30 sterling years of use.

G

I was travelling First Class on the Rhodesia Castle on Route for London.

May 12, 2006
Visit site
Hi Euro

The old Castle Line eh !!! Now that was when travelling was done in style. We had the opportunity to use the Line in 74 when I went to work in Zambia, but we flew instead, as our son was only a few months old.

Val & Frank

G

To true, they were passenger/cargo ships but it was fine dining and a waiter per table, true 5* service. We even had a wealthy aristo big Game Hunter on board in the days before anyone thought that was wrong, and various wealthy Kenyan brits heading home for Chrismas. The "Bum" boat traders of Port-Said Suez and the "Gully Gully" man and his chicks are still a few of the treasured memories of that trip.

You might be interested to see this Frank

http://www.digitalphot.net/gallery/showgallery.php?cat=515

Sep 13, 2006
Visit site
I am not ex Navy but have been in the RNR for 16 years.

I joined as I always regretted not going to sea after gaining Merchant Navy quals as a radio officer in the 1970s, hence I have spent a lot of time at Collingwood (WE/Comms).

My SN starts D98xxxxx so well after yours - I think newer numbers have moved on to another numbering scheme.

I am very close to resigning now, as I find it very difficult to fit in with our young family and caravanning commitments.

There you are - back on topic

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts