Sprite Alpine front window

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site
My caravan new 16 4 2008 new window fitted 30 6 2008 second window awaiting fitting when removed found top of frame split on top edge allowing water in, still waiting for sprite customer care !!!!!!!! George

G

Not too sure what point you are trying to make, George.

Yes, it is disappointing that you have had to get a window replaced so soon, but from your Post, Sprite have evidently done that. To have a 2nd one go again, is also extremely frustrating, and it would indicate something wrong outside normal installation. Many vans have big front windows, mine included, and apart from being heavy, they have no more problems than other windows.

Can you explain a little more?

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site
TI IS THE SECOND WINDOW BUT IT HAS CRACKED THE TOP OF FRAME AT THE SCREW HOLES, WHAT HAPPENS THE FRONT PART OF WINDOW IS TO WEAK IT HITS THE BACK PART OF THE WINDOW AS YOU ARE TRAVELING MARKING THE INSIDE OF WINDOW THE GEORGE

G

There have been Posts commenting on this problem. It appears a batch of windows were made shall we say, a bit thin in the plastic and they tend to move. From other comments it appeared that the manufacturer had recognised this, and replaced with thicker pane windows, which solved that particular problem.

There is also an ongoing situation with delamination of acrylic windows, but that does not seem to be your particular problem.

My own van has a full width front window and yes, it is big and heavy, but the panes are solid. It is also attached by a full width hinge in an awning rail type fixing so the whole width takes the weight. I have replaced it but only becausew the outer pane had warped in very hot direct sunshine, and I obtained a replacement for asthetic reasons. It sounds like the screw fixings are not man enough for the job and I hope you get it resolved to your satisfaction.

Oct 3, 2005
Visit site
I to am awaiting a new front window for my 2009 sprite,Along with a new charger unit that blew up the first weekend out,table top warped,heating sytem went wrong after about two months,and also a water leak internally at the rear end,along with the rear window had a very bad seal on it,and they say buy new,Where is my 1970 sprite cadet it was faultless.

Mar 8, 2010
Visit site
Do Sprite rcognise this is a problem as mine has split too... the van is outside of warranty so do you think they may help? if not does anyone have a suggestion where I can get a cheap replacement front window (Sprite Major 5 - 2007)

Nov 13, 2007
Visit site
George,

Sorry to hear about your split window and marks within the panes. There is a known issue with the Polyplastic panes touching, on all manufacturers' windows, causing white marks between the windows.

Polyplastic have (since late last year) developed a MKIII window, which resolves this issue. This is available through your dealer, under warranty.

The issue of windows cracking or splitting is not a known issue to us, and the Sprite front window is not screwed, but hooked over the main hinge bar on the caravan front. Therefore, I am slightly confused about the cause of the cracking.

However, if you would like to send me your details, including your chassis number, I can certainly as our Customer Care team to investigate.

Thanks,

Ash

technicalsupport@swiftleisure.co.uk

Jul 27, 2010
Visit site
I have read with interest some of the comments re Sprite Alpine front windows. Not being particularly houseproud I was pprepared to accept some scuffing between the two panes but the last time I took my van out the front screen split from the top left hand corner almost down to the bottom (both inner and outer). As there is no sign of any impact, and the split comes directly from the sharp change of shape at the end of the hinge, I can only assume this is a design fault. It would appear from the amount of discussion going on that Sprite have a real issue in this area.

John M. Sprite Alpine 4, 2007 model

Nov 12, 2008
Visit site
Hi Unfortunately this is a story which gets more complicated by the day..those that read and participate in these forums certainly are aware that there are a number of problems, associated with what is essentially a safety critical part of a caravan/motorhome.

Failure of window components on a motorway, could for instance, cause a serious accident and as such, should be reported to VOSA.

Burstner, is as far as I know, the only manufacturer to take this step, although we are now aware, from our campaign, that many more UK manufacturers used the identical window fitted, but not manufactured by Burstner.

Within this forum alone, there have been numerous contributors on this subject and I find inconceivable, from the owners who have contacted us via this site and the Caravan Club, that UK manufacturers are unaware of the scale of these defects or have not been contacted direct by affected owners.

Again it is unfortunate that many reputable UK companies, through no fault of their own, have had their reputations put at risk by a European components supplier.

Please remember design faults are covered under SOGA and any owner who is experiencing, delamination or as one contributor put it ..'a bit thin in the plastic'.should in the first instance contact their dealer...

We are always here to help...

Regards to John, Eddie, George, Darren, Scotts Lad and Swift.....Andrew

Apr 28, 2024
Visit site
I have read with interest some of the comments re Sprite Alpine front windows. Not being particularly houseproud I was pprepared to accept some scuffing between the two panes but the last time I took my van out the front screen split from the top left hand corner almost down to the bottom (both inner and outer). As there is no sign of any impact, and the split comes directly from the sharp change of shape at the end of the hinge, I can only assume this is a design fault. It would appear from the amount of discussion going on that Sprite have a real issue in this area.

John M. Sprite Alpine 4, 2007 model
hi there.i have recently bought a 2007 sprite alpine and the front window as your looking at it from the outside has a nasty crack inside and and outside about 12 inches long on the top left corner.it does seem to be a problem with these windows.can anyone advise where i can get a replacement.i can only find one company with them.but despite sending emails i have not had a reply and they dont have a phone number on their website.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
hi there.i have recently bought a 2007 sprite alpine and the front window as your looking at it from the outside has a nasty crack inside and and outside about 12 inches long on the top left corner.it does seem to be a problem with these windows.can anyone advise where i can get a replacement.i can only find one company with them.but despite sending emails i have not had a reply and they dont have a phone number on their website.
The thread is over 14 years old so you may not get a reply?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts