Ssangyong rexton - is there anything that's better value as a tow car?

Dec 27, 2020
Visit site
Hello, I'm new here πŸ‘‹ I'll start by saying that as well as a caravan, I tow two horses so need a high towing capacity (at LEAST 3 tonnes really). We have an ageing ssangyong rexton that needs replacing due to things starting to go wrong, but for what it is it's been excellent.

I've been looking at other options, but for the money I genuinely can't find anything better value and wondering if there's any I'm missing. We are looking at 2014 onwards as would need to be on finance, however on a modest budget. Any suggestions gratefully recieved, thanks for reading!

Reactions: Hutch
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Hello, I'm new here πŸ‘‹ I'll start by saying that as well as a caravan, I tow two horses so need a high towing capacity (at LEAST 3 tonnes really). We have an ageing ssangyong rexton that needs replacing due to things starting to go wrong, but for what it is it's been excellent.

I've been looking at other options, but for the money I genuinely can't find anything better value and wondering if there's any I'm missing. We are looking at 2014 onwards as would need to be on finance, however on a modest budget. Any suggestions gratefully recieved, thanks for reading!
The Rexton is an excellent 4x4 workhorse reminiscent of the first generation Sorento but brought more up to date over its life. Ssasyong have a good reputation for reliability as you have experienced. Around us there is a Musso and early generation Korondo still going strong.
There isn’t much really to compete on VFM, perhaps a Shogun or pickups.

Dec 27, 2020
Visit site
Thank you - annoyingly budget does come into it quite heavily for us, I'd love something "nicer" but don't think we can afford it, but am aware there may be some that we haven't considered!

Oct 20, 2015
Visit site
Hi DevonGal & welcome. Rextons are nice motors, capable and comfortable: a friend in Malaysia has had a 2009 one since 3 years old driven huge remote miles and only from last year experienced issues of any significance. Appreciate your dilema, depending on what the level of your budget is? going for model year of 2014 on with the capability you need may be limited Back in August we bought a 3.2 diesel shogun, its an older car (2004) but came with good history and in Elegance spec is nicely equipped: yes it's quite thirsty but a nice drive: they have a good reputation for reliability if looked after. You could likely get a good one for about Β£3.5 - Β£4K and the saving you make could cover any additional fuel costs etc shogun.jpg

or from about Β£6,000 up start looking at the newer shape 2007 model on - if your happy to consider older cars.

Reactions: DevonGal
Dec 27, 2020
Visit site
Thank you - I think due to needing to finance it, it would need to be a bit newer (due to past experience I'm wary anyway of having finance on a much older car - once bitten twice shy! ) - have looked at the shoguns and they are very nice, just haven't got Β£5-6k in cash sadly to buy a slightly older car. It looks as if we may be sticking with a newer rexton than the one we have!

Jan 31, 2018
Visit site
Nissan Navara, Ford ranger, Isuzu, Hilux amarok etc are all great towcars with 3-3.5k kg tow capacity. You just need to find one that hasn't had too hard a life.

Reactions: Beachball
Oct 8, 2006
Visit site
The OP should be aware that Ssangyong have filed for the Korean equivalent of the US Chapter 11 to protect them from their creditors but unlike the US version it only lasts for 3 months. If they can't get their figures sorted there may be no more Ssangyong by Easter.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
The OP should be aware that Ssangyong have filed for the Korean equivalent of the US Chapter 11 to protect them from their creditors but unlike the US version it only lasts for 3 months. If they can't get their figures sorted there may be no more Ssangyong by Easter.
The OP is not planning to buy new. Even when car marques disappear spares are normally available like Saab still have good parts availability. As Ssangyong are financially linked with Mahindra and the Rext on has been produced for the Indian market Mahindra will be ensuring that spares are available as it’s a profitable side of business.

Last edited:
Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
Thank you - I think due to needing to finance it, it would need to be a bit newer (due to past experience I'm wary anyway of having finance on a much older car - once bitten twice shy! ) - have looked at the shoguns and they are very nice, just haven't got Β£5-6k in cash sadly to buy a slightly older car. It looks as if we may be sticking with a newer rexton than the one we have!
Hi DevonGal welcome looks like you have answer your own question buy one a bit newer on Finance , but look for one that been well cared for and service history keep us updated on here of what you get Good Luck

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Our 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee 3.0L CRD is capable to towing up to 3 tonnes legally. It has all the necessary. A 2014 Summit starts at about Β£14500 on Autotrader and can be financed.

Reactions: JezzerB
Mar 10, 2021
Visit site
Rexton 2.7 is based on the old W163 mercedes ml 2.7 . Same engine and gearbox / drive train.
Ive had a few off both and agree are brilliant towcars. My next tow truck if going to be the Mercedes GL 420 cdi. Lots of older mercedes ML / Gl,s W164,s around for cheap sub Β£5k money.
These will do high mileage is well serviced. Saw a greek taxi with over 600k miles although not sure if it was the greak equivalent of triggers broom.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
Have to admit that although they are a bit rougher than some they are remarkable value for money. The fuel usage looks abit high and that can affect then tax bracket so they may be a bit more expensive to run it would take years to get spend that saving.
If you are a memeber of the CAMH you get a free tow bar as well, but I think the offer is limited to those who have been one for at least six months, so joining now will not help if you want a new one now.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts