Stabiliser advice for a newbie (PLEASE)

Jun 2, 2009
Visit site
Hi there

i am going to be purchasing an old Elddis Whirlwind (1987 i think) but being very new to all this and never towed i need to know what sort of stabiliser to buy? i have a Renault Laguna estate 1.9 turbo deisel, like i said havent got a clue about stabilisers any advice on towing or anything else would come in handy too.

Thank you

Adam

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
First of all, you must be clear in your mind that the purpose of a stabiliser is not provide any corrective action. In other words, you still need to get your loads and load distribution right. The stabiliser is there only to increase your safety margin.

That said, an integrated stabiliser, like the AlKo or Winterhoff, are the most convenient to use. There's no fiddling with other components when you hitch up. You just hitch up and push the handle down and that's it.

Mar 25, 2009
Visit site
Got to agree with Lutz....I got a 1991 Elddis and it came withe bulldog stabiliser, I then changed that for an ALKO 3004 hitch and stabiliser and haven't looked back,shop around though as there a vast difference in prices I paid 199 for my triple pack saw them in caravan shop for 267 so worth checking around.

Mar 10, 2006
Visit site
Adam

Both types i have used, both do the same job.

I wouldn't say the Alko is any better than the old (cheap)blade stabiliser i had. But it is certainly more convenient.

If you go for the blade type, you will need a bracket to carry it fitted to the car, and van.

If you go for the expensive Alko type, ensure that you buy the correct version for your caravan weight. And you must also have you tow ball replaced with an expensive alko ball, do not attempt to tow with a normal ball. A phone call to a towbar fitter will answer any questions with the ball.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts