Stabilisers

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
My caravan is fitted with an Alko 2004 stabiliser but I also have a Bulldog 200.

I e-mailed Alko to ask if they see any problem in using both at the same time.

Their reply is very worrying:

-----Original Message-----

Sent: 03 February 2005 10:59

To: Tom Findlay (HR)

Subject: RE: Stabiliser

SORRY TOM

AL-KO CANNOT STRESS ENOUGH THAT WE DO NOT APPROVE

OF THIS, IT IS EXTREMELY DANGEROUS AND WOULD FOUL OUR STABILISER

ALSO COULD CAUSE A NASTY ACCIDENT.

THE REASON

AL-KO STABILISERS WORK ON A 25 DEC MOVEMENT EACH SIDE WHEN MOVING

TO PUT ANOTHER TYPE ON AT THE SAME TIME WOULD STOP THIS HAPPENING

AND FOUL THE STABILISER.

LIZ

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I wonder if Alko are just trying to say that you should not be calling into doubt the efficiency of the undoubtedly good 2004 stabiliser.When I contacted them about using the Straightliner as well they said that the strength of the ball would be insufficientNo metion of foulin etc.I see that they have now brought out a more powerful one themselves BUT have they increased the strength of the ball---I doubt it.It would be interesting to see some proper research on the subject.I used my Straightliner as well as the 2004 to Spain and back with no apparent ill effects (Straightliner said it would be OK and it was) Personally I believe that most stress will occur when the caravan gets away from the car in a bad snake and if two stabilisers stop this then that can only be to the good.BUT as Alko have said don't use two then that is what I do but I remain unconvinced in the absence of any factual data gained from testing

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
In order to help car and caravan chassis manufacturers design towbars and vehicle underbody structures in accordance with needs, there is an industry standard, ISO11555, which specifies maximum values for damping torques that stabilisers may impart on the towing system. Obviously, if one stabiliser already makes full use of the maximum specified torque (as is likely to get the full benefit), then two stabilisers acting together are going to exceed the value. Hence, the total force acting on the towbar and vehicle underbody is going to be larger than the related components were ever designed for. It is only natural that, under those conditions, manufacturers will not accept any product liability for the use of tandem stabilisers.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts