Steamy & delaminating windows

Aug 3, 2005
Visit site
I am the owner of a Lunar Freelander T4 caravan which I purchased new from Chichester Caravans in August 2001. On the first trip out this year condensation appeared in two of the Polyplastic windows, but as it disappeared within a day or so I thought no more about it. However recently I noticed that these two front windows were now delaminating i.e the two parts of the window which make up the double glazed unit were separating.

I wrote to Chichester caravans about this problem and was told that there was only a one year warranty on caravan windows and therefore I would have to pay for the replacement of them myself at between £200 - £300 each. I feel that there must be a fault with the windows for this to have happened and am concerned that the remaining windows may also be faulty, has this happened to anyone else. Am I being unreasonable to expect the dealer I bought the caravan from to sort the problem out, and if the dealer is refusing to assist what should I do.

Apr 6, 2005
Visit site
Sad to say I have also found this company is no where as good as it used to be and you can forget trying to get a response from the Managing Director he just passes your letter onto staff to deal with.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hello Ernie,

In my opinion windows should last far longer than 12 months, and I think that any sensible person would agree, unless there is evidence of abuse.

Please look at the following Dti Web page:

http://www.dti.gov.uk/ccp/topics1/facts/salegoodsact.htm
This gives you a good view of your satutory rights (as opposed to your warranty)

If you used a finance house to fund the purchase under an HP agreement, and you are still paying, then write with your complaint to the finance house.

Otherwise seek the advice from the CAB and Trading Standards.

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Ernie, having looked through my caravan warranties, it seems a common limit of 1 year warranty on windows.

John L seems to have read your posting wrongly, as your van windows are actually 4 years old, and as far as the dealer is concerned, he has no legal duty to do other than what has been said. However, I would suggest you contact the Manufactureer of the widows, and take this problem up directly with them.

Condensation is not a problem as such, between the panes as there should be two small bungs which you remove for a couple of hours in warm dry weather to allow moisture to escape, then replace the bungs.

Plastic expands and contracts considerably as the temperature changes, so parting of the panels is not uncommon, and can be repaired using clear sealant.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Ernie, having looked through my caravan warranties, it seems a common limit of 1 year warranty on windows.

John L seems to have read your posting wrongly, as your van windows are actually 4 years old, and as far as the dealer is concerned, he has no legal duty to do other than what has been said. However, I would suggest you contact the Manufactureer of the widows, and take this problem up directly with them.

Condensation is not a problem as such, between the panes as there should be two small bungs which you remove for a couple of hours in warm dry weather to allow moisture to escape, then replace the bungs.

Plastic expands and contracts considerably as the temperature changes, so parting of the panels is not uncommon, and can be repaired using clear sealant.
Damien,

Thankyou for correcting me.

My comments above really only apply to 2 to 3 yrs, but I would still expect a window to last much longer, I know of windows 10 years old and still fine, but realistically 4 years is not really old but equally they are not new. so thanks again and my appologies to Ernie for not reading well enough on this occasion.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site

Damian,

Just a further note, the dealer cannot actually limit thier responsibility to a prescribed time. Ernie could if he wished try to pursue this through the small claims court, where the court would deem what was an apropriate time for these circumstances, however I do conceed that it is unlikely to view the problem to be wholey the,dealers resposnsibility, becuse of the elapsed time. It is questionable if it would be financially worth persuing.

The manufacture may take a more lenient view, but they have no obligatory responsi9bility directly to the consumer.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts