Steel spare wheel with Alloy bolts

Apr 23, 2007
Visit site
Related to reading the post regarding one-shot nuts, which we all know now is nothing to do with the actual wheel changing scenario.

I just sent off a query to Bailey asking about the wheel nuts should I need to replace the alloy with the steel spare.

I got the following response:

"Thank you for your email regarding your Bailey Pageant

The Spare wheel supplied is Steel

I can confirm that Alloy wheel nuts can be used on steel wheels although steel wheel nuts cannot be used on alloy wheels

I trust this is of assistance

Kind Regards

Bailey Helpline"

Why do some people think this is not the case as per the 'one shot nuts' post?

Regards

Ian

Jul 6, 2007
Visit site
The wheel bolts are identical except that the ones supplied with alloy wheels are nicely chromium plated, whereas the stell wheel ones do not need to be as they are usually covered by a wheel trim.

Feb 3, 2008
Visit site
I was led to believe that the wheel bolts both had the same thread, but the cone at the head end of the thread was a different angle between those for alloy wheels and those for steel wheels, hence the limited interchangeability.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Its more than that

The profile of the 2 bolts is different

The alloy ones have a longer taper than the steel ones so its OK to use the alloys in steel but not OK to use steel wheel bolts in alloys because the taper is going to bear on a smaller area

I always thought that you needed to carry steel wheel bolts which was fortunate when the alloy wheel and bolts disappeared into the canal last year!!

The dealer then told me that it was OK to use the alloy wheel bolts on steel wheels etc

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I was led to believe that the wheel bolts both had the same thread, but the cone at the head end of the thread was a different angle between those for alloy wheels and those for steel wheels, hence the limited interchangeability.
You beat me to it !!

JTQ

May 7, 2005
Visit site
Whilst the advice from Bailey is no doubt okay for their alloy and steel wheels this is specifically not the case with all wheels.

My Hymer's Handbook very clearly indicates that different bolts must be used with the alloy and steel wheels, it clearly identifies the two and they provide the appropriate bolts for both types of wheels.

This is a safety critical area and its best to use only the makers data.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Whilst the advice from Bailey is no doubt okay for their alloy and steel wheels this is specifically not the case with all wheels.

My Hymer's Handbook very clearly indicates that different bolts must be used with the alloy and steel wheels, it clearly identifies the two and they provide the appropriate bolts for both types of wheels.

This is a safety critical area and its best to use only the makers data.
Good for Hymer

Aug 2, 2005
Visit site
Ian

I have posted a similar query regarding this subject on another site. A relative who has a Swift was supplied with separate bolts for the spare steel. As I have an Abbey I have queried this with my dealer and he knew nothing about spare bolts. Everyone appears to agree that you can use bolts on alloy whhels on the steel spare.

I am hoping Swift might pick up on this and post a response

Colin

Nov 13, 2007
Visit site
Traditionally Alloy wheels have had a conical seats and Steel wheels have had a spherical seat on them, this is for the wheel bolts to mate against. As such we provided both spherical bolts for Steel Wheels (8.8 tensile strength bolt with a torque setting of 65 lb/ft) and a Conical bolt for alloy wheels with a 10.9 tensile strength bolt and an 85 lb/ft torque setting.

Typically, for Swift this applied on vans up until around the 2007 model year when we were able to source a conical seat Steel wheels which meant we could now standardise on the Conical wheel bolts for both using a 10.9 tensile strength bolt with the differing torque settings.

Hope this makes sense,

Thanks

Andy

Jan 6, 2008
Visit site
Andy could you Double check torque setting on Alloy,s

Steel Wheels (8.8 tensile strength bolt with a torque setting of 65 lb/ft). Yes Agree

Alloy wheels with a 10.9 tensile strength bolt with a torque setting of 85 lb/ft torque setting. Should be 70 Ib/ft

Torque settings on alloy 15 Ib/ft to high please could you double check this.

Hope this makes sense,

Thanks

Steve

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Andy could you Double check torque setting on Alloy,s

Steel Wheels (8.8 tensile strength bolt with a torque setting of 65 lb/ft). Yes Agree

Alloy wheels with a 10.9 tensile strength bolt with a torque setting of 85 lb/ft torque setting. Should be 70 Ib/ft

Torque settings on alloy 15 Ib/ft to high please could you double check this.

Hope this makes sense,

Thanks

Steve
i've always used and read 85ft lb for alloys

Its in John Wickersham's manual as well!!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts