Sticky problem

Oct 13, 2006
Visit site
I brought from B&Q some carpet tape to hold down a runner in our caravan. The rug still rucked up so I thought it would be easy enough to remove the tape! How wrong I was!!! It took me at least 2 hrs to peel the tape off the carpet and now its left a sticky residue which has now become dirty. I have tried cleaning with carpet cleaner but not had any luck. Does anyone know how to remove sticky stuff from carpets????
Kay

Feb 18, 2008
Visit site
Hi Kay

As a retired technical director of an adhesives company I can perhaps answer this. Whilst we used various 'industrial' chemicals at work to remove adhesive one of the best and easily obtained 'domestic' solvents is white spirit or turps substitute. Lighter fluid is also pretty good but beware, all are flammable so no naked lights in the area please. Ideally do the job outside.

Very frequently the first application of solvent would not do a particularly good job. We found that if we rubbed with a cloth moistened in solvent and then let this first application dry off, the second aplication usually removed the remaining adhesive.

Hope this helps.

JohnM

Oct 13, 2006
Visit site
Hello again
Just thought I would give an update ! I have used turpentines and then warm soapy water just to remove any smell and it has cleaned up a treat,
All good thanks for advise

Feb 18, 2008
Visit site
Hi Kay
I'm glad that you managed to get rid of the adhesive successfully.
I've recently had another sticky problem to deal with myself, pine resin on a pair of trousers that I got on when I sat on a log. This can be a nightmare to remove but I found a way that may be of interest to others. I rubbed the offending resin with WD40 on a cloth. This removed almost all of it but leaves a stain of WD40. I got rid of this, or should I say SWMBO got rid of it, by liberally applying Fairy Liquid to the stain area and leaving it for a couple of hours before soaking the trousers in hot water. After this the trousers were put through a fairly hot machine wash. Result = no resin and no stain.
JohnM

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts