Stop over around Lemans

May 5, 2005
Visit site
Going to Les Brunelles in June about 500 miles so looking for a nights stopover ideally near Le mans but between Chartres (250 miles) and Angers (350 miles) from Calais.Something easy to locate would be ideal to get us moving asap next day.Any suggestions appreciated.

May 12, 2011
Visit site
One more really good one to try, Chateau de Chanteloup which is in the C&CC Freedom camping book. Don't forget the Le Mans race though, I think it is 11/6 to 17/6 this year and all sites around Le Mans will be full.

May 5, 2005
Visit site
Fortunately we are travelling on 25th June ,many thanks will look at them all ,if we are feeling tired we can take an earlier option,thank goodness for internet

Jun 18, 2008
Visit site
Deli

Apologies that this post will probably not help you find a site near Le Mans but this is what happened to us.........(now read on, as they say)

Quite a number of years ago we stayed at a 'camping naturiste' near Le Mans, as a night halt on our way back from Dordogne. The site was pleasant, except I recall that the toilets had a very weird pumping flushing mechanism.....but that's not the point of the story. As it was just a one night stay we didn't bother with EHU, and left the caravan plugged into the car 12v (there was no leisure battery). Unfortunately I forgot to switch the fridge to gas, and as there was no blocking diode in those days, it was inevitable that the car battery was pancaked in the morning! Not even the central locking would work! Now we all know that camp site wardens are very obliging, or certainly the French ones are, so off I went to Madame to get assistance. I had a very comprehensive technical translator manual, courtesy of AA 5-star, but the one-and-only missing item was 'jump leads'. My French is good enough to buy bread and beer, but improvisation was required for this task! The nearest I could come up with was 'fil' which means 'wire' I think. So I asked Madame if she had a 'fil'. Perhaps it was my pronunciation which, after a bit of surprised puzzlement on her part, led Madame to telling me that yes she did indeed have a daughter living in Paris! Hmmm. More improvisation and I finally made myself understood, and she was immediately on the phone to the local garagiste. If you recall, this was a 'Camping naturiste' - you wouldn't believe how quickly that mechanic was on the scene! To his perhaps disappointment, though, it happened to be a very chilly morning and warm clothes were the order of that day.

Hope you enjoy your stay at Le Mans!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts