Stop-start what a waste of a V8

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
On my way back from walking the dogs I heard the rumble of a V8 motor drawing up behind me and approaching the T junction. It was a beautiful Aston Martin. Imagine my delight as the motor stopped as it approached the junction behind a car in front. It’s stalled thinks I. But no the engine burbled into life only to stop twice more before it pulled out into the main road. I switch stop start off because I prefer to have the car in neutral with handbrake on. As if it’s not switched off it restarts in any mode other than just footbrake on. Or if I am at a junction/island where I’m likely to make a manoeuvre without much delay I prefer my engine to be running. But if I had a nice rumbly V8 I’d want it running 100% of the time just so as I could hear its dulcet tones.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
Not a great fan of stop start but I do leave it on. From what I have seen though it is a sop to environmentalists, as after 16,000 miles I have saved enough fuel for another 65 miles. Given that my daughters battery expired after 45.000 miles, if mine does the same I would not have saved enough fuel to cover the cost of a new battery and I doubt the fuel used to make and transport the next one is going to be a lot less than the fuel saved by the car. The cost of the new batteries is far higher than conventional ones so if it goes so does the high cost replacement.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
If you only do about 5000 miles a year how much does the stop start save you? IMHO every time a vehicle starts emissions are slightly higher than if it had the engine running while waiting at the lights. Personally I do not like stop start as I like to be in control of my vehicle and not the other way around. Don't like keyless entry also and these new fanged automatic boxes that seem to think about which gear to select and still prefer the older torque converter gear box.

Oct 12, 2013
Visit site
I hate the stop start system so mine is switched off as soon as i drive . Very rare i stall a car and when i picked ours up when we bought it i must off stalled it 3 times before getting home when going slowly round the tight corners beside where we live so trying to get the caravan on tow around these tight corners and crawling round on the clutch it's switched off as it's stalls !!

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
SWMBO car has this technology. Most of her driving is long distance at 70 for hours. Waste of time for us but maybe for a townie??
Back in the far past I’m sure I read somewhere diesels use more fuel to start than if left running. Hence the old LT buses were never turned off during driver changes.

Oct 8, 2006
Visit site
otherclive said:
On my way back from walking the dogs I heard the rumble of a V8 motor drawing up behind me and approaching the T junction. It was a beautiful Aston Martin. Imagine my delight as the motor stopped as it approached the junction behind a car in front. It’s stalled thinks I. But no the engine burbled into life only to stop twice more before it pulled out into the main road. I switch stop start off because I prefer to have the car in neutral with handbrake on. As if it’s not switched off it restarts in any mode other than just footbrake on. Or if I am at a junction/island where I’m likely to make a manoeuvre without much delay I prefer my engine to be running. But if I had a nice rumbly V8 I’d want it running 100% of the time just so as I could hear its dulcet tones.

If your car is in neutral, feet off the pedals and either the handbrake on or the electric brake hold is active the engine will stop and not start until you put your foot on the clutch. If you have anything running that takes a good dollop of power - like the aircon - it won't stop at all. If you have something on that takes a small/moderate load like the heater fan or LED headlights the engine might restart after a while but then it will keep running until the next time the car stops. One thing it will not do is stop and start multiple times in any one halt in driving.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Woodentop said:
otherclive said:

If your car is in neutral, feet off the pedals and either the handbrake on or the electric brake hold is active the engine will stop and not start until you put your foot on the clutch. If you have anything running that takes a good dollop of power - like the aircon - it won't stop at all. If you have something on that takes a small/moderate load like the heater fan or LED headlights the engine might restart after a while but then it will keep running until the next time the car stops. One thing it will not do is stop and start multiple times in any one halt in driving.

I think I know best what my car does, and my previous 2014,SJ Forestervdid the same. Not all cars have clutches do they?

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
I am sure SWMBO air con works off the engine. Engine off no aircon except the blower fan still works. I suspect in a traffic jam the engine will switch back on to reboots the aircon. I’m not convinced the cost of these systems justify any minuscule fuel saving.

Nov 4, 2007
Visit site
I thought stop/start was more to do with air pollution rather than fuel savings. I let my car sop/start whenever it's programmed to due so.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts