stopping unwanted calls to my phone

Page 2 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Nov 6, 2006
Visit site
A number of posts clearly believe that the Telephone preference service will stop all unwanted calls. Whilst there is a problem with calls originating outside the UK, the TPS does not stop genuine Market Research calls, which are exempt from having to check before calling you

Where you receive such a call, then the telephone number has been obtained from you! That is, you will have given it at some time to an organisation, which later commisions a survey with the intention of improving its service for example.

Regrettably, some organisations use a sales pitch that masquerades as 'research' which gets the genuine researchers a bad name as well.

I get just as irritated by sales calls as everyonelse, but if its a research call these are often about improvements to services which we all want in the end.

Many researchers are ladies trying to earn a modest income around school times, and are ordinary people of various origins

I am appalled at the treatment some suggest meting out to callers-would you like such a response when at work? A'no thanks' and end the call is all thats required

G

Is there any answer to the computer that decides to call you, and possibly a few dozen others at the same time? It usually rings once or twice and then goes dead. If you do answer you frequently get a dead silence. Obviously shouting down the phone will make you feel better, but the computer couldn't give a damm, and will do it all again the next day. I appreciate the comment that you have somehow given away your number through a possibly genuine transaction, but I always tick the box that says 'No' and never affirm my consent to this, but still get the calls. I am still not even sure what it is the computer wishes to try and sell me. One can leave the phone ananswered and use call back, but it could always be a genuine call from family, so the b......s have you all ways.

Nov 6, 2006
Visit site
Certain organisations are now openly advertising their use of 'UK call centres only' as they are clearly aware of the public disquiet with overseas centres. This sort of customer pressure is for me one way to influence service provides of any sort. Also as Scotch Lad says watch out for the litte boxes next time you sign up for anything. Even when ticking these you have to be careful of reverse wording where you are agreeing for your details to be used

Nov 26, 2006
Visit site
I have had no "cold calls" in years, and I put this down to;

1. Ex Directory.

2. Telephone Preference Service.

3. Never give anybody my phone no. unless it is necessary. Quite often when you fill in a form they ask for your phone - if it is not essential, leave it blank.

4. Always look for the box on forms to not be contacted, and make sure whether it has to be ticked or left blank.

You can also sign up for the Mailing Preference Service, to stop junk mail, and write to;

The Royal Mail Door to Door Service,

Wheatstone House,

Faraday Road,

Swindon SN3 5JW

to not get all thos unaddressed fliers.

I also pull out all the leaflets from the newspapers and magazines I buy, and leave them in the shop.

Have Fun!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
As others have said, register with the Telephone Preference Service, it works! If you do get any calls after that, ask who is calling and then report them.

One thing I used to do was to say I had a chip pan on and put the phone down and say I'd be back soon and then leave it for ages. They are paying for the call, they are wasting their time by hanging on and also don't want to appear rude by putting the phone down. They would never call back!

Cheers

Mark

G

A tip, if you fill in an online form that asks for your phone number when there's no real need.

Give your number as 01010 101010, online forms in general accept 01 as genuine and the correct ammount of numerals.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts