Storage site insisting on their servicing

Page 2 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Their workshop is AWS and MCEA approved so regular servicing shouldnt be a problem.

As they are AWS registered there is no problem with annual servicing.

MCEA means nothing, they are not recognised by the UK makers as being up to the same standard as AWS.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Thank you for all the excellent replies.
Their workshop is AWS and MCEA approved so regular servicing shouldnt be a problem.
It says they can undertake warranty work depending on Make/Autherisation.
So im more than happy to stay put.
They can service van every year.
I think warranty work would be best left to supplying dealer.
Prices for single axle service is £210 inc.vat plus parts.
Ouch that is expensive for a single axle, but then you do not have to tow it anywhere. We certainly would not want such a restriction placed on us by a storage company. Where we store our caravan there is an AWS technicain, but we can get our own AWS technician in to servicce the caravan on site. All we have to do is notify the owner and be present to let the technician onto the site. For a twin axle the cost is £180, but we don't get them to check locker doors opening and closing etc mainly running gear, gas and damp check.

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
Hi.

One of the stipulations when I signed the agreement to store it there,was I had to let them carry out an annual service on it as the vans are parked next to each other and wanted to make sure they are "safe".

When I first read that I thought it meant that other service engineers were not allowed on site for safety or security reasons and I assumed that the you would receive a ‘complete’ service and not have to move the van yourself. Now that would have been really convenient.

Are they saying that the van HAS to be serviced annually, and that that service MUST be done by them? I think that needs clarification.

But I don’t think the terms and conditions are inherently illegal so long as they are not profiteering from it.

John

Jan 31, 2018
Visit site
I think it's cheap our main dealer is circa £280 single and £340 double -just booked in-am v jealous of the ease and convenience too.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
I think it's cheap our main dealer is circa £280 single and £340 double -just booked in-am v jealous of the ease and convenience too.
Northam Farm charge £250 incl VAT and parts. Pearman Briggs charge over £300 excl VAT. Both companies are excellent. However considering the only parts is the running gear that is a lot of money to pay. They do not service the gas, water or electrical systems although they should do a gas check. In addition, they do a damp test. You pay a lot of money for them to supposedly open and close lockers, cupboards & doors and switch on and off lights.

Jul 30, 2007
Visit site
Are they saying that the van HAS to be serviced annually, and that that service MUST be done by them? I think that needs clarification.

I havent(and I dont think I will)challenge them regarding the annual service providing its carried out correctly with service book stamped.
I did pop up the storage site yesterday afternoon and got talking to a motorhome owner whos been there almost 8 years and he said hes had no problems there whatsoever.
In fact,he even had one of the mechanics walk down to his motorhome once(in the compound) to change 2 bulbs for him on the rear of his motorhome.
Makes the appointment,takes motorhome to workshop,awaits a phone call from them to collect and return it to its parking spot.
Theres also facilities for washing caravans there with a very sturdy ladder(the industrial type they use in warehouses) for doing the roofs.
As I said.....im very lucky there in regards to not having to collect van and travel a fair distance for someone to service it.
Also,whilst its in storage there and for some reason needs a repair,its only a phone call away to have it done.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I paid £228 plus £7.50 (nuts) for a full habitation service from a Swift Main Dealer in April 2019. Hasn't been done yet this year although my storage site has a AWS service with mobile and workshop too. He did me a damp check in February and a repair to toilet roof light handle. neither required the caravan to move, I just gave him the keys.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
Having paid £240 for my service the price looks competitive and should be a good deal.
It is difficult to know though if this is an unfair condition and might not stand up in court.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
A workshop is most likely to have higher overheads and costs than a single mobile technician. They may have more bays and lifts plus staff costs too. But they can also do larger repair jobs such as major body repairs , panels and major damp as they can dry the affected areas out both external and internal. Depending on where they are located labour costs, business rates etc will all affect the costs and price charged. Like most things there’s variation in price, service and value ostensibly for the same product.

Jul 30, 2007
Visit site
Outdoor Storage
We only offer combined Storage & Service agreements for:
  • Caravans, Motorhomes, up to 10 years old.
  • See our services pages for the following: Caravan Full Service, Motorhome Habitation, Motorhome Engine/Chassis Services.
This is from part of their storage website page which I read and understood when I signed the paperwork.
As I said,im more than happy to stay put especially as its so close and convenient for me.

JTQ

May 7, 2005
Visit site
Outdoor Storage
We only offer combined Storage & Service agreements for:
  • Caravans, Motorhomes, up to 10 years old.
  • See our services pages for the following: Caravan Full Service, Motorhome Habitation, Motorhome Engine/Chassis Services.

How can that third party, "a member of staff at a different dealership" ever reckon "that what they are doing is against the law with regards to me having to use them for servicing"?

What they offer is about as crystal clear to me as they could make it.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
Different people may interpret this differently, as others have said. It does look rather unfair but while I accept there is a chance it may in fact be unenforceable, it is by no means clear.

Jan 31, 2018
Visit site
Yes my opinion is it's brilliant and am pretty jealous ! As long as they're good and warranty kept intact and of course any warranty claims can be honoured it's a great idea!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Different people may interpret this differently, as others have said. It does look rather unfair but while I accept there is a chance it may in fact be unenforceable, it is by no means clear.
I cannot agree with you about it looking "unfair" or unclear. Its their land, and they can dictate the terms on which they will allow storage. Their wording is not ambiguous, it clearly states the storage is offered as a "combined" storage and service agreement. making the storage conditional on the caravan being serviced by them. There is nothing wrong with that and any customer who wants to use this site for storage should not be in any doubt about the agreement including the service element.

Its not as if the caravan can only be bought from them, there are other dealers, and other storage sites, so there is nothing forcing customers to use the site. It is a perfectly free choice, and clearly some people find it an attractive one.

I don't know what would happen if a caravan owner refused to have it serviced, I guess the site owner could simply point to a breach of contract, or refuse to renew the contract when it expires.

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
As you say everyone wants there eggs in one basket ( but it convenient you don"t have to tow it to get it service there worksop is AWS so should be ok
if any work needed under warranty take it to the dealer you brought the caravan from ..

Reactions: GeorgeandAde
Jul 30, 2007
Visit site
I don't know what would happen if a caravan owner refused to have it serviced, I guess the site owner could simply point to a breach of contract, or refuse to renew the contract when it expires

Been a while since I started this post but can answer Prof's statement above.
Refusal to have it serviced with them,results in an extra £100 being added to the storage fee.

Went to storage today to give it an "airing" to find a newish van parked on the nearside to us and was an 8ft model....less than two foot away.
Other side,motorhome about 3 feet away from ours.

Well.......made the decision to leave our current storage place.

Went to a previous facility we've used over the years and they had the perfect plot free which became available yesterday.

No trees around and will have approx.4 feet gap each side...perfect.
Oh.....£200 per year cheaper.
(Yes.....security not quite so good but hey ho).

Just emailed present storage place and gave them one months notice.👌

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
I think you are making the right move. Sounds almost if the current site was blackmailing you. If there ever was an unfair clause in a consumer contract, that was it regarding servicing!

• Sad
Reactions: otherclive
Jul 30, 2007
Visit site
Thank you Prof.
Yes,will definitely inform the insurance company.
Looking forward to some sort of sarcastic comment from present storage compound tomorrow.🤭

May 24, 2014
Visit site
As their servicing price seems to fall pretty much in line with other companies, I dont think for me it would be a problem. If they were charging way above the accepted price scope it would be a different matter. Whilst its a captive market, its got to be far more convenient than towing it to a workshop every year.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
As their servicing price seems to fall pretty much in line with other companies, I dont think for me it would be a problem. If they were charging way above the accepted price scope it would be a different matter. Whilst its a captive market, its got to be far more convenient than towing it to a workshop every year.

However they have taken the choice away from you and what do you do if the service is poor quality or your caravan needs warranty work? If you complain, you may be asked to leave.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I think you are making the right move. Sounds almost if the current site was blackmailing you. If there ever was an unfair clause in a consumer contract, that was it regarding servicing!

However they have taken the choice away from you and what do you do if the service is poor quality or your caravan needs warranty work? If you complain, you may be asked to leave.

The site didn't take choice away, The caravanner had the choice to use the site with service or take their caravan elsewhere. For whatever reason the OP chose to use this site. It was a free choice to agree to this contract.

What do you do if a service is not up to the standard you require? You follow the companies complaint procedure and if that fails you use the CRA.

As was explained earlier in the thread Service work and Warranty work are entirely differnt, and governed by their own T&C's. No mention has been made of any restrictions regarding having Warranty work carried out.

The OP has clearly explained several times that they were happy to use this site and its servicing element. Suited their needs and wants at the time. Their needs have now changed and they have decided to move, the site has not terminated the contract.

As far as I can see there has been nothing underhand or unfair playing out. The site owners have seen a way to bolster their business by offering the service element, and clearly there are many caravanners who also find the offer to be attractive enough.

It will obviously vary from person to person, but the convenience of not having to take time of work and the cost of towing a caravan could easily add up to more that difference in servicing costs.

To use Beachballs signature comment - To Each His Own....

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: otherclive

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts