Storing spare wheel

Mar 2, 2010
Visit site
Am thinking of moving the spare from underslung carrier into the front gas bottle area.There is a moulded dip so it looks like fitting a clamp,I was thinking of screwing an 8mm metal pipe clip to the bulkhead and using some allthread and an 8mm handwheel and plate.Is the bulkhead reinforced or do I need to get the chest of drawers out and put some plywood behind .I know I'll have to adjust the leading but removing from the traffic side when we are abroad is scary
Its a Bailey Indiana S6

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Deli gave up the underslung spare a while back and as you say one reason was the safety implications whilst touring in Europe. But even in UK they can be a real 'b' to remove when the van is lopsided and the roadside verge may be sloping. I carry mine in the van over the axle and just put it under the van chained to the chassis with a motorcycle chain. When the awning is up no- one can see it.

Feb 3, 2008
Visit site
Dave - we do the same as Clive. If you do move the spare from underslung from behind the axle to the front locker then don't forget that the noseweight will be increased.

Mar 2, 2010
Visit site
Hi Sir Sproket CJ (BAR).

That looks ideal,thanks for the link.I had thought of it under the bed but all our light but bulky stuff is there,I am thinking that once I have repositioned things it should be fine.I mistyped leading for loading
smiley-embarassed.gif
(embarassed if smiley doesnt come up)

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Dave

I stored mine under the fixed bed with a ratchet strap across and round the tyre tread to secure it

There was still room over the tyre for items to be stored such as the satellite dish

I was concerned about noseweight with it in the front locker on the 570 as it was high without the wheel

gyp

Oct 13, 2010
Visit site
If Continental touring with UK under van pull out on left side is a concern, and you do not wish to put the wheel up front or in the van, there is an alternative carrier which fits under the van and can be handed to suit UK or continental touring.
This is the carrier by General and Tube Engineering which is sold direct and is about £40. Has been on the market for years .
Contact at www.generalandtube.co.uk
Worth looking at.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
The Alko carrier can be fitted for access from either side.

Its difficult to envisage getting under the van and swapping it over at port of exit/entry though

Mar 2, 2010
Visit site
Thanks all for your input.I really dont want it underneath any more if I can help it,if the noseweight doesnt look good I'll strap it under the bed and carry less.Best wishes particularly to WatsonJohnG,hope your keeping well,your bedstruts are still doing a grand job

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
With those expensive bed struts it would be a shame not to have the spare wheel nearby !
My new Swift Challenger has the Alko new easy slide carrier
I wonder if the old one was responsible for the recent hernia op being needed!

Mar 28, 2014
Visit site
just arrived back from Australia , most of the caravans there , have a wheel in the A frame and 1 mounted on the rear , most vans have a washing machine in the rear bathroom as well , beautiful vans inside , but more expensive than ours ,

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts