storm strap bradcot awning

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
hi folks, after a gale blew owe bradcot over the top of the caravan last year i want to fit an awning strap or 2 , but i read somewhere that a strap over the top is not advised by bradcot as it damages the material( we also have the ally poles) any surgestions please......pete

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Pete

We used a storm strap on our Bradcot Classic. It did a job of sorts and didn't cause any damage in 5 years but the damn thing did flap and vibrate in strong winds. Last year during some very, very strong winds in Biarritz that lasted 15 hours it just about stayed up when a lot of others didn't. but I think this was mainly due as much to the screw-in pegs (Wurmi's) and a couple of extra guylines I put on the front.

These were made from 6mm cord (the type used on yachts) which I looped around the frame at the joints where the rafter poles meet the corner and centre uprights and then fed them out of the holes in the front of the awning. Don't put them on the small poles that support the little canopy. The pegs I used for these were the twisty steel ones that are meant for dog restraints.

Whereas a lot of awnings were wrecked including some Bradcots all of the Isabella ones seemed unaffected so I had a look into why. Basically they are much better made with almost every conceivable base covered in terms of rigidity and durability. One of their items worth considering could be this. http://www.waudbys.co.uk/products/details/2491.html.

Mar 17, 2007
Visit site
Take a look at the Isabella storm strap system - it is first rate, though a bit pricey. I have used one on each pole (3) for years, in all sorts of weather, and never suffered any damage. If you got some good adjustable webbing, and 3 good very long 'pegs', it would be quite easy to copy this idea. I always use the 'pegs' inside the awning - right next to the upright.

Aug 8, 2007
Visit site
Hi

I've seen people use 22mm foam pipe insulation to protect the awning where the storm strap is likely to chafe.

I use a couple of those screw-in dog posts (about 12 inches long) to attach my storm straps to. I figure that if it can keep pooch attached, it'll hold the awning down better than a six inch peg.

I've also seen people put extra guy-lines from the spigots that project at the front of the awning directly down to the ground.

I also use the screw pegs and bearing in mind the winds we had at Easter at Keswick....everything held up very well.

Enjoy!

Mac

Aug 4, 2004
Visit site
Why don't people run the storm strap on the inside of the awning and peg it down on the inside near the front outer poles. No vibration and it is just as sturdy.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
thanks for the good advice, the strom strap i bought after lossing the awnig is made by fiammi , a couple of weeks back i used it in paris when we had a wee storm & i used the foam pipe ,so i know that works & last year after lossing the awning in spain i bought the strap at a local camping shop which i used on my gazebo, twisted it around the poles & it was as solid as a rock , when others lost their gazebo mine was still standing but i'm worried about twisting the strap around the alloy poles as to whether they are man enought , one good thing about the alloy poles other than being light weight is that when the awning was riped out of the ground & thrown over the caravan they buckled & didn't damage the caravan .... thanks again....pete

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts