storm straps

Mar 5, 2018
Visit site
I’m new to caravanning and have a venture Atlantic full awning and have just got a seasonal plot and want to leave me awning up all year round be I don’t know what storm straps to use I don’t like the idea of the ones that go over the top as I hear it can rub and cause holes in the awning
Any help would be great.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Does your awning have inbuilt receiver sockets to take a “push-click” storm strap? If it does then the maker mast have them as accessories or som aftermarket ones like Towsure.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Do you have any owners instructions as these often give advice for storm lashings. If not do the maker have a website where you could download owner instructions.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I have had a Newtonian moment. I used to have an Isabella magnum awning where the storm straps fitted inside. I didn't buy Isabella as they seemed expensive so made my own up using a ratchet strap, and the ground anchors and springs from an ordinary storm strap kit. The inside ones have straps that fit over the front inside cross bar. They go down into the front corners and are pegged into the ground near the front legs. It worked fine for us over a few years touring. The eBay link shows you a picture. The Isabella part number is below too.

https://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/Isabella-Storm-Strap-2017-Awning-Strap-Isabella-Storm-Tie-Down-900060195-NEW/122575915991?hash=item1c8a180bd7:g:VvEAAOSw1BlZRUMd

Apr 10, 2014
Visit site
Hi vickyrandall33,
Are you sure your awning is a Venture and not a Ventura?
I have two Ventura awnings, a Neptune Full awning and a Merlin Portch awning.
I use three Isabella storm straps and these are strapped around the leg/roof connectors.
Hope this helps.
Regards,

Sep 29, 2016
Visit site
otherclive said:
My post doesn't want to show the eBay link. Just search on web for Isabella storm strap

I was trying to remember how to post the ebay link, seems like I have forgotten how to do it , oops, sorry, might try again later.

I know that Parksy can make it work if that helps.

Sep 29, 2016
Visit site
ebay.co.uk/itm/Isabella-Storm-Strap-2017-Awning-Strap-Isabella-Storm-Tie-Down-900060195-NEW/122575915991?hash=item1c8a180bd7:g:VvEAAOSw1BlZRUMd

Mar 5, 2018
Visit site
yea its a Ventura my spelling i have been looking on the internet and yea from what i can see it is the Isabella strap im such a worrier do they really work as i really just want to leave it up and not have to keep taking the awning down

Mar 5, 2018
Visit site
hi
i dont think my relay came out so sorry if it comes up twice thanks do you think 2 would be enough and do they really work i just dont want to have to take my awning up and down all the time.
i just worry it will break or blow off

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Well as I said in my above post they worked fine for us and in some lousy weather. However we not on all year pitches. Given that yours will be pitched 365 days per year it will in all probability see more bad weather. No storm straps can guarantee that nothing will happen. Much depends on where your pitch is, where is the direction of the prevailing winds, is there any firm of windbreak such as a hedge or adjoining buildings, if the weather really soaks these grounds pegs can begin to slacken off. Can you use the long 12 inch marquee pegs around the base of the awning? But Isabella kit is good and has a fiene reputation. Will the site owner keep an eye on things? How often will you be over to the caravan, and if the forecast is bad how quickly can you get to it.
This may be a bit pessimistic but I'm sure others on the site will guide you. And if there's a problem then neighbours generally help out.

Mar 5, 2018
Visit site
yes there is staff on site all year round i want to use it quite a few times a month there is no hedges or buildings by the pitch but many other caravan i think if the weather report says about a storm i would go down and take it down the pitch is gravel so i hope that would help hold the pegs in place i have just ordered 2 straps thanks but think i may get a few guy ropes as well.
i would hope if someone was there and it broke or the peg came out they would do something i would
The more i get to know people the less i will worry i think lol its just all new to me and the advise really helps

Oct 12, 2013
Visit site
Vickyrandall , hi ,
You just wanna hope we don't get any snow like what's just hit the country as storm straps won't do much !! The straps we had on our Isabella awning (when we had it) were huge and took some screwing into the ground so once they're in they shouldn't budge .

Craig .

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Vicky
For snow resistance I use halfords very long luggage straps. These are about 25 mm wide and come in various lengths. They have feed through buckles so are not ratchet straps. I feed them across the awning side to side and just gently tension them. That way they give more support to the awning roof to take the snow weight.

Mel

Mar 17, 2007
Visit site
As otherclive has described, an internal strap can be useful as it holds the frame down. We bought a set of ratchet straps from Aldi for £10 for 4. Looped them over the frame on the inside at the two front corners and the middle and then a bungee elastic to a foot long peg.
Storm straps hold the canvas down and we used them as well as the internal straps on our seasonal awning. Ventura will make a specific one for your awning I expect. Don't bother buying a clip on "universal" one. In my experience the clips don't hold.
Mel

Mar 20, 2018
Visit site
From my experiences, storm straps only secure awnings with an uplifting wind and about 50% aid from side winds. The tighter the strap, the more stress you put on all the legs and joints, especially when the awning is wet.

Good luck and enjoy this lovely experience of freedom.
Dave

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Awninghandyman said:
From my experiences, storm straps only secure awnings with an uplifting wind and about 50% aid from side winds. The tighter the strap, the more stress you put on all the legs and joints, especially when the awning is wet
Dave

The blog gives lots of shots/experiences but no real details of the actual fitments that you are promoting.

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
Awninghandyman said:
From my experiences, storm straps only secure awnings with an uplifting wind and about 50% aid from side winds. The tighter the strap, the more stress you put on all the legs and joints, especially when the awning is wet.

Dave

HI Awning Handyman.
You're more than welcome to use this website and forum to exchange advice and information but no promotional material of any kind whatsoever is allowed without the permission of the forum owners. I've edited your earlier comment to remove promotional material.
Unauthorised advertising is prohibited under Rule 6 of Forum Etiquette
Unauthorised commercial advertising is similar to fly posting, it's rude to post it, we don't want to see it and it is always removed, so please don't do it. :)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts