Stormy weather

Nov 7, 2005
Visit site
Judging by the number of folk on this Forum who expound the virtues of winter caravanning, there must be plenty of people on site this weekend. Anyone who likes to use the van in winter must obviously expect to run into stormy weather from time to time. Me? Weather like this reminds me just why I tuck away my van for the winter!

Mar 21, 2008
Visit site
We're staying at Tudor Caravan Park, at Slimbridge Gloucestershire, at the moment.

It was rather breezy yesterday!

And we had some rain.

But we have plenty of food, beer and books - and there's a pub about 100 yards away that's reputed to be very good!

So we're enjoying this break just as much as any of our summer breaks.

As Billy Connolly once said - there's no such thing as bad weather, just bad clothing.

Jan 19, 2008
Visit site
We're staying at Tudor Caravan Park, at Slimbridge Gloucestershire, at the moment.

It was rather breezy yesterday!

And we had some rain.

But we have plenty of food, beer and books - and there's a pub about 100 yards away that's reputed to be very good!

So we're enjoying this break just as much as any of our summer breaks.

As Billy Connolly once said - there's no such thing as bad weather, just bad clothing.
It's a nice pub. Try a pint of Stowford Press cider, after one you need another :O)

Jan 19, 2008
Visit site
I must admit I mentioned to Her Ladyship today that I'm glad we're not out in the van. It wouldn't be too bad if there was just the two of us but with the dogs and having to take them for their ablutions, no thanks. At home I just open the door for them to go out :O)

Aug 23, 2009
Visit site
emptied ours today and put it away for the winter but when i was in it i was thinking im not ready to have to wait a few months before we go off again so hopefully we will pull it our for new year and then off from march or even feb

Aug 28, 2005
Visit site
It depends where you are in the van, my friends are in Gramat in the south of France at the moment ,and it was a nice 70 F ,and we shall be joining them shortly in Spain

Mel

Mar 17, 2007
Visit site
That's the joy of living in the midlands Lisa; by the time the weather gets to us, from any direction, it's got a bit used up! :)

mel

May 21, 2008
Visit site
As we're in our van full time, we have to weather hail, snow, wind, rain and shine.

Friday night and Saturday were not too bad at all, despite gusts that threatened to turn our awning into a caravan cover!

We did have a couple of stacking draw units deposit themselves all over the floor, but thankfully the awning held it's own.

I had put into place my winter security package only a couple of weeks ago. In addition to the awning storm straps sewn into our 10ft wide INACA Mirage, I have applied a full length strap over the awning and secured it to doggy peg out corkscrews. Then using some 1 ton ratchet straps I have fed those through the strong points of the awning front panels and secured that with three more doggy corkscrews. Having an 18ft caravan and accompanying full awning, we are vunerable to storm damage and cannot afford to risk the awning becoming a kite.

In addition I chocked the wheels front and back driving pegs behind the chocks to stop them wriggling out.

The main annoyance was our sat dish which moved for the first time this year despite being mounted on the jockey wheel and being surrounded by a substancial wind break.

So muggins had to spend 15 mins out in the dark saturday night realigning it. The wind you see, was blowing straight up the field hitting the awning and the small walk through gap in the wind break, thus wacking the dish and spoiling her majesty's view of the box.

So to any of you wanting to try a free roller coaster ride curtousy of mother nature, come and have a go. But take precautions first and batten down the hatches, fill the barrels put the heater on and the kettle on and have a lovely cup of hot chocolate while the unprepared rush round doing the headless chicken.

Have fun

Steve L.

By the way the headless chickens are usually those who mock the preparation I did two weeks ago, so who has the last laugh?

Nov 13, 2008
Visit site
Just come back from a rally at Gowerton this weekend had a great time no problems a bit wet and windy but that is the fun of winter vanning you take what nature throws at you.

Dec 14, 2006
Visit site
Just be glad you weren't in this one: http://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/2009/11/16/lucky-escape-from-overturned-caravan-as-weather-wreaks-havoc-55578-25175503/

Aug 4, 2004
Visit site
It was a bit breezy her ein the West Midlands but nothing to get excited about. Gentle rocking of the caravan helps you get to sleep.

Sep 27, 2009
Visit site
Just got back from Moffat and whilst a bit wet and windy was ok. I must admit towing over Shap was a bit callenging but overall fine. Only my 3rd time towing so good experience I guess.

Aug 28, 2005
Visit site
Hi you are right the site is closed but not for Centre rallies as there are rallies each weekend till the middle on December but limited facilities.
I stand corrected , one learns something new all the time , i drive past there a few times a week as i only live 5 mins away ,but i didnt venture out last week end regards Joby

Jun 17, 2009
Visit site
Hi Anthony.Stayed the weekend in beverly park,near Paighton.Put up porch awning on friday then took it down on saturday as it was about to take off.Had a great weekend though.

Jun 23, 2008
Visit site
We were at Broadway CC site last weekend.

Did wonder if we should cancel or not but decided if we were going to be fair weather campers we would never go anywhere.

In the event had quite a good weekend. Set off from Somerset on Friday am, just about keeping ahead of the nasties approaching from the SW. Set up ok, including awning,Saturday was an ok day as was Sunday and Monday am when we packed up. Most of the bad weather was during the night. Our pitch backed on to a small wooded area and it was amazing how much this broke up the wind force. Site was almost full so plenty of hardy (or foolhardy?)souls about.

Bill D.

Aug 4, 2004
Visit site
We are back in the caravan again today. Absolutely lovely and quiet as we are the only ones on site. Can even leave the blinds up as there is no one around to peer into our caravan.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
We are back in the caravan again today. Absolutely lovely and quiet as we are the only ones on site. Can even leave the blinds up as there is no one around to peer into our caravan.
Why, what do you do that you don't want others to see?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts