strange 'leccy probs.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
just got back from a long week-end away. this time it was for 3 nights on battery, and we discovered two problems:

1, we always carry two 110amp batteries when without hook-up and generally find the one battery will 'just about' do for three fairly heavy days use. this weekend however, we totally drained both batteries by the middle of day two. an emergancy trip by my dad supplied us with another fully charged 110amp. it was connected up at about 3pm yesterday and was reading flat by the last set of adverts of dancing on ice!

we are doing nothing different to usual, but something is 'sucking juice' at a massive rate.

as a footnote, both of our batteries are in good condition and were fully charged prior to going.

2, problem this time with the 'n' plug. when plugged in all the lights etc. work fine, on their own, however for example lights and brakes together,lights go out. lights and indicators together, sidelights go out, rear lights dim and flash in time with the indicators.

any ideas people, as we're hoping to go to the same site this coming weekend???

many thanks,

dave.

Jul 18, 2006
Visit site
1. Not sure about that one.

2. Sounds like an earthing problem. You mention lights coming on together and wierd flashing etc. Is this only on the van, or only the car or both. I have followed many cars where this happens, but am unsure if this "fault" (if on the car) would carry on to the van so those lights would do the same.

Jul 15, 2005
Visit site
Dave,

From what you describe, something is placing an additional 10 amp load on your battery. And there's one appliance that draws around 10 amps, but it would need an interesting wiring fault to get the 12 volt side of the fridge working from the battery - but not impossible.

If you have some fault finding skills and a digital multi-meter, you could try isolating circuits and switching stuff on and off until you find the fault.

On the funny caravan lights - I'd go along with Rubix - and you're probably going to need to get the multi-meter out and check all the 12 volt wiring - particularly the junction box

Robert

Jun 11, 2012
Visit site
Dave,

From what you describe, something is placing an additional 10 amp load on your battery. And there's one appliance that draws around 10 amps, but it would need an interesting wiring fault to get the 12 volt side of the fridge working from the battery - but not impossible.

If you have some fault finding skills and a digital multi-meter, you could try isolating circuits and switching stuff on and off until you find the fault.

On the funny caravan lights - I'd go along with Rubix - and you're probably going to need to get the multi-meter out and check all the 12 volt wiring - particularly the junction box

Robert
Hi Dave Ive a similar problem in the past and traced it down to the earth lead, while i was at i took the wiring apart cut all the old ends off and rewired.

I also sprayed plug on carvan and socket on car with WD 40.

Did the trick for me .

Regards Stewart

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts