Stuck handbrake on brand new Swift

Jan 2, 2006
Visit site
A friend of mine has just taken delivery of a new Swift Challenger but can not get the handbrake off,it will not move any ideas,it is of course the new type.

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
If the Van has moved backwards slightly as the brake was applied that could have caused the proplem especially if the hitch is still pushed back into it mechanism from reversing. Try re hithching to the car and very very slightly move forward and then try releasing the hand brake. Happens on my Ifor Williams trailers if operator is not careful and that is how we get the hand brake off ;-)

Mar 9, 2006
Visit site
In a good many of new 'vans, the handbrake has to be PUSHED HARD DOWN, to release it, as opposed to the earlier types that just dropped down when the button was pushed in.

Jul 12, 2005
Visit site
Eddie is right

On our swift I spent a while trying to get the handbrake off, Hitch it up and inch forward. Also, the lever is spring loaded so put some weight on it!

Steve

Jan 2, 2006
Visit site
Thanks for that I have an Abbey (Swift by any other name and not had a problem)I will give my friend a call and see if he his now on his drive or blocking the access to the M6!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts