Stuck on the drive...help

Apr 21, 2020
Visit site
Our Bailey unicorn cadiz was not moved for 7 months due to my husband being very ill and we now find that the brakes have seized on one of the wheels. It will move backwards slightly but not forward. We cannot get a mobile technician until after lockdown and we would really like to move the van from its current position on the drive in order to get to parts of the garden .....and also to clean the van. It is currently wedged between a high fence and a wall but with just enough space to get to the wheel.
Any helpful suggestions please?

Jan 17, 2010
Visit site
Hi if you have got the caravan into such a tight space i take it you have a mover on it? You could try moving it back and forward with the mover it may free it up.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I know it’s wise after the even but I never leave the van with brakes on for any length of time. With its steadies down it’s not going anywhere especially if fitted with Alko or other wheel locks. Even when living with a sloping drive I would just add wheel chocks fir a bit of extra assurance.

Hope the mover suggestion works.

Reactions: Beachball
Apr 21, 2020
Visit site
I know it’s wise after the even but I never leave the van with brakes on for any length of time. With its steadies down it’s not going anywhere especially if fitted with Alko or other wheel locks. Even when living with a sloping drive I would just add wheel chocks fir a bit of extra assurance.

Hope the mover suggestion works.
Yes, a lesson learned unfortunately.

Reactions: otherclive

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
Try giving the stuck wheel a clout or three with a hammer, taking care not to damage your wheel.
It will help if you can get a helper to push the caravan in order to exert some pressure on the stuck brake shoe.
Be careful that the caravan doesn't roll away out of control if the hammer persuasion suddenly frees the brake.

Reactions: Archiesfolk
Jul 15, 2008
Visit site
This depends on your agility, DIY capabilities, tools and space to operate ;)

Put chocks in front of jockey wheel and behind freed main wheel to prevent caravan from moving.
Release hand brake.
Jack up stuck wheel so that you can only just see daylight under tyre
Do not raise caravan any higher for safety reasons.
With a hammer tap rear of brake drum on back plate near where operating cable enters.
Take wheel nut brace and with a normal tightening action try to rotate wheel.
Use extension pipe on brace if you have one and apply full body weight to obtain maximum force.
Check for correct wheel nut torque after success or otherwise before eventually towing caravan.

Oct 12, 2016
Visit site
Make sure the cable is releasing by watching the exposed cables where they diverge to each wheel. If they’re both letting go clout the drum hard through the holes in the wheel with a hammer and chisel a few times. Wrap a cloth round the shaft of the chisel to avoid damaging the wheel. Chock the jockey wheel and free wheel first though tightly and have chocks positioned a few inches in front and behind the siezed wheel to stop the van slewing round when it lets go.

Reactions: Archiesfolk

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts