Stupid question!

Jul 20, 2016
Visit site
Hi all, daft question...

When I power up my caravan, either EHU or just battery, what is the electronic motor sound that seems to come from under the from right seat?

Mar 24, 2014
Visit site
No such thing as a Stupid Question! Difficult to say without knowing your caravan, but if you have the Truma water/heating system, that might be it. Ours is under the front right seat in our 'van.

Sep 26, 2018
Visit site
I've been on several forums over the years and the best comment I ever came across was...

"There's no such thing as a stupid question, only a stupid answer"

Oct 17, 2010
Visit site
I Have the same, Thought it was the radio powering up. Never thought of the water pump, off to go and check now.

PS It is the radio. just been to look, disconnected the pump still did it.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Guzzilazz said:
I've been on several forums over the years and the best comment I ever came across was...

"There's no such thing as a stupid question, only a stupid answer"

I don't quite agree with the "only a stupid answer"bit. The stupidity is not asking the question. :S

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
DaveA1 said:
I Have the same, Thought it was the radio powering up. Never thought of the water pump, off to go and check now.

Dave is there a Disc in the radio? It could be its reading the disc ready to play.

Oct 12, 2013
Visit site
EH52ARH said:
DaveA1 said:

Dave is there a Disc in the radio? It could be its reading the disc ready to play.

Snap !! That rings a bell the noise now that you have mentioned it about the radio and the disc bit , mine does the same !!

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Guzzilazz said:
Of course, there is a stupid question, which is the one that has been asked before and the person has been too lazy to search!

A totally unnecessary reply .

Not all users are familiar with the search facility of the forum(which I personally find not very good !) and as the Technical section has 11800 topics with 72200 replies it would take a very long time trawling through and probably not finding the answer.

The General section has 8714 topics with 90200 replies.....good luck trawling through that lot !!!

I would suggest that many questions have been asked many times, which is what the forum is all about.
It serves no useful purpose to make demeaning comments that add absolutely nothing, other than bad feeling, to the situation.

THINK before posting !!!!!!!!!

Oct 17, 2010
Visit site
Craigyoung said:
EH52ARH said:
DaveA1 said:

Snap !! That rings a bell the noise now that you have mentioned it about the radio and the disc bit , mine does the same !!
No disc in but still makes the noise. Put a Disc in (power to the people John Lennon) it made the noise before it played. Makes the noise disc in or not.
Now must stop, SWMBO wants to know why I'm brevetting in the van at 9.45 at night. :unsure: :unsure:

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Quote " No disc in but still makes the noise. Put a Disc in (power to the people John Lennon) it made the noise before it played. Makes the noise disc in or not."

Quite normal operation. With disc players the laser will track to try and find if there is a normal size disc or one of the mini discs in place, if none found it returns to its docking position.
If it finds a disc it will then read it to determine where to start.

Mel

Mar 17, 2007
Visit site
We also get a motor noise on powering up the van via ehu. This is on an Elddis 302. Although we are unhitched and pitched, it sounds like the same noise that the IDC (Winterhoff version of ATC) makes when you hitch up, so I assumed it was this doing something. Presumably I am wrong.
mel

Jul 15, 2008
Visit site
......I sussed out the electrical noise on my new to me Swift caravan.

Concluded it was the radio and as I like "Off" to mean "Off"........I have fitted a radio master switch in the positive supply ......now the radio really is off when I want it off :)

Oct 12, 2013
Visit site
Gafferbill said:
......I sussed out the electrical noise on my new to me Swift caravan.

Concluded it was the radio and as I like "Off" to mean "Off"........I have fitted a radio master switch in the positive supply ......now the radio really is off when I want it off :)

But isn't it annoying when you switch the switch to off yet you still have to put your own off switch on the radio to make sure it's marstered off if that makes sense :blink:

Jul 15, 2008
Visit site
Hi Craig.........I only fitted the switch because I often go off grid and don't want anything using 12 volts unnecessarily.
When on EHU my switch won't be used.
My Swift is a 2012 and I have been amazed at how many lights are not LED......had to covert most of them for the same reasons.
If you don't go off grid .....no need to bother ;)

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
CustardAvenger said:
otherclive said:
My radio does the same. Very frustrating. No other van has done that. Off should mean off!

Does removing the faceplate do anything? I always pop it off and keep it in the drawer.
I hope so,same here. I know the OP has truma heating,but in our elddis (whale heating) upon switching on master switch you get a quick burst from the underfloor heater fan.

Jul 15, 2008
Visit site
CustardAvenger said:
Does removing the faceplate do anything? I always pop it off and keep it in the drawer.

...........it doesn't on my caravan's JVC radio/ CD player it is still live if the caravan master power switch is on even with the faceplate removed.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts