Submit a meter reading today

Page 6 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!

Sam Vimes

Sep 7, 2020
Visit site
The fun continues with Scottish Power and I've reached the conclusion that the accounts dept is staffed with people, who if asked each day how many fingers they have on both hands, would come up with a different answer each time.

Yesterday as a follow up to my complaint to the ombudsman I got another call from SP's customer service. In a nutshell they address my three complaints:-

1. Not able to get a smart meter
2. Not able to get the latest bill
3. No way to contact them

They addressed each one:-

1. They will make an appointment for me to have a smart meter fitted. (No parachutes involved)
2. They made up ( a good choice of words) my bill while I was on the phone and I'm £58 in credit.
3. They will give me £75 as a good will gesture since I couldn't contact them.

They have 28 days to comply with what they said they would do or the ombudsman steps in again.

When I checked my online account a couple of days ago I was in credit to the sum of £111. Then as a result of the call yesterday this went down to £58 and did appear this morning on my account. A few minutes ago when I went to check again I'm now in credit for £133.

They also want to increase my DD from £78 per month to either £116 or £111 depending on what part of the web site you look at. Checking my monthly useage the DD should be about £80 so I tried to change the amount from the 116/111 to £80 and was informed that in order to do so I would have to make a one off payment of £465 today.

I will try and contact them again tomorrow but I'm also going to try and switch to Octopus because SP have just lost the plot.

Sam Vimes

Sep 7, 2020
Visit site
The energy ombudsman seems to have given SP a talking to as yesterday I got and appointment date in two weeks time to have a smart meter fitted.

Is it a coincidence that this corresponds with the end of the 28 days the ombudsman gave them to sort it out?

I forgot to ask if I should paint a white cross on the lawn for the parachutists to aim for.

Will it actually happen?🙄

Reactions: otherclive

Ern

May 23, 2021
Visit site
I had a similar coincidence with the Financial Ombudsman over a dispute with an insurance company. They were told to reduce my renewal premium after they had included a claim which had not been made. Bang on the date.

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
The energy ombudsman seems to have given SP a talking to as yesterday I got and appointment date in two weeks time to have a smart meter fitted.

Is it a coincidence that this corresponds with the end of the 28 days the ombudsman gave them to sort it out?

I forgot to ask if I should paint a white cross on the lawn for the parachutists to aim for.

Will it actually happen?🙄
D Day will soon be upon you and hope that the mission is completed, at the end of the day the Smart meter will be insitu and you will then be the proud owner of same! Good luck and hope that they complete everything as planned and on time.

Jul 15, 2008
Visit site
......I'm with Shell and happy with them.
However I have been in credit by £400 but they still want to increase my direct debit by £150 to £220 /month.
Not having that .......so I have now changed to paying by direct debit for the actual amount used/month.
Smart meter will tell them the usage of electricity and gas and they will invoice me accordingly.
They then take the money by direct debit.
......happy that the £400 wil be in my bank account instead of theirs :giggle:

Reactions: Hutch
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Put the heating on for the first time this autumn as our grandson comes around to WFH. We did have to tell him that our Hive only functions if the occupants are wearing thermal t shirt, shirt, and a warm top. Took pity on him as he’d arrived in just a T shirt. Fortunately he didn’t ask to plug his 5 series PHEV in as well.

We are in credit to nearly £500 and just received our first £66 energy payment and £500 winter fuel allowance, so our normal £80 DD may be reduced if the weather stays mild.

Last edited:
Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Have been with Bulb energy for some time and had two emails from them, one that they are lowering my monthly charges and next one they are going to be Octopus.
That's good to know, I have been with Bulb, got the email stating changing to Octopus, but they haven't contacted me yet.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
However I have been in credit by £400 but they still want to increase my direct debit by £150 to £220 /month.
Not having that .......so I have now changed to paying by direct debit for the actual amount used/month.
Smart meter will tell them the usage of electricity and gas and they will invoice me accordingly.
Doesn't paying on invoice use a higher unit rate than standard direct debit ?

Ern

May 23, 2021
Visit site
Put the heating on for the first time this autumn as our grandson comes around to WFH. We did have to tell him that our Hive only functions if the occupants are wearing thermal t shirt, shirt, and a warm top. Took pity on him as he’d arrived in just a T shirt. Fortunately he didn’t ask to plug his 5 series PHEV in as well.

We are in credit to nearly £500 and just received our first £66 energy payment and £500 winter fuel allowance, so our normal £80 DD may be reduced if the weather stays mild.
£500 winter fuel allowance? We received notification today that ours is £250 including the Pensioner Cost of Living Payment. I was quite pleased with this, until your post!

Ern

May 23, 2021
Visit site
If you are paying by monthly direct debit, your account balance should be in credit at times, and in debit at times. I calculate our estimate myself carefully and pay just a couple of £ more per month. I will not pay more even though they may request it. We get 5% discount for this DD agreement.

Ern

May 23, 2021
Visit site
£500 winter fuel allowance? We received notification today that ours is £250 including the Pensioner Cost of Living Payment. I was quite pleased with this, until your post!
I have just read the letter again properly and realised that the £250 will be paid separately to Mrs Ern and I. Yippee.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
AFAIK the Winter Fuel allowance for pensioners is £500 where only one person qualifies or £250 each where two people qualify.

Sam Vimes

Sep 7, 2020
Visit site
Today is 'Install Smart Meter Day'. Supposedly they should be here between 8am -12pm. Already 10am and no show yet.

Why is it you get very cynical about companies keeping their promises?

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Today is 'Install Smart Meter Day'. Supposedly they should be here between 8am -12pm. Already 10am and no show yet.

Your glass is half empty, but it may not empty completely by 1200. I had two Smart meter installations cancelled one on the day, the other at less than 24 hrs. So after that I decided to stick with my monthly readings. But when my contract ends in April 2023 I will have one fitted beforehand. Then I get more choice in the future, assuming choice is going to be available by then.

May 7, 2012
Visit site

Experience seems to be the answer. Frankly when you can I would change supplier just to get away from them and their so called service, rather than to save money.

Sam Vimes

Sep 7, 2020
Visit site
Your glass is half empty, but it may not empty completely by 1200. I had two Smart meter installations cancelled one on the day, the other at less than 24 hrs. So after that I decided to stick with my monthly readings. But when my contract ends in April 2023 I will have one fitted beforehand. Then I get more choice in the future, assuming choice is going to be available by then.

Depends how big the glass is :)

I really only want a smart meter to be able to qualify for some discount schemes that may be offered.

Experience seems to be the answer. Frankly when you can I would change supplier just to get away from them and their so called service, rather than to save money.

Yes, as soon as the current round of issues are resolved and the dust has settled, I'm thinking of changing to Octopus.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
I thought meter installations were done by third-party contractors, so changing energy supplier may have zero effect.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts