Submit a meter reading today

Page 7 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!

Sam Vimes

Sep 7, 2020
Visit site
Yes, they are.

The reason for changing is not due to the installation, or not, of the smart meter, but the appalling customer service....or should I say non existent customer service of my current provider.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Since having the smart meter, we have saved a lot of money by being paranoid about the amount of fuel we used. Not leaving lights on, the wife not putting the oven on to warm plates, using the microwave a lot more and the Electric pressure cooker / slow cooker. 12 pence an hour.
We actually use the same as last year cost wise. But at the new higher tarrifs.

Reactions: Jcloughie
Mar 27, 2011
Visit site
Just me and my wife in a bungalow, last couple of years paid £102 monthly and always a little in credit, still paying £34 plus government paid energy amount of 66 so over 200 in credit since we had a smart meter, in credit now all the time by £250, I’m happy to leave the credit there so if we get a real hard winter it’ll offset the extra heating used, keeping an eye on the display in the kitchen showing what we are using is a real eye opener, I always used to fill the kettle and boil it then I’d switch it on again if I didn’t use it straight away, I must admit I’d sometimes boil it 3 times, we bought a air fryer cost us £115 and sent it back after 4-5 days trying it as not impressed with cooking cooking, no idea on the electric saving but it’s gone and a full refund, we bought a dehumidifier about 7 years ago to dry out plastered walls when we first moved in and I dug it out of the shed and when weather is wet we put wet washing on clothes airer and before going to bed switch on the dehumidifier and by morning it is dry, runs on 320watt and smart display only uses 3p an hour, different to having to use the tumble dryer, it’s amazing to see just where we can save gas and electric.

BP

Reactions: Dustydog and Hutch

Sam Vimes

Sep 7, 2020
Visit site
Well my glass is definitely empty as the appointment to install the meter never happened. What a surprise:rolleyes:

I did get a call after the deadline to say that the appointment couldn't be made because the third party installers weren't sure when they were coming this way.

So why did I get a confirmation for the appointment today? Supposedly I'll get another confirmation next week but when the appointment will be is a complete unknown.

I'm to get compensation of £30 for a missed appointment, which I wouldn't have got had I not pushed for it. If this continues at least my bill will be subsidised somewhat by their incompetence.

I have updated the Ombudsman Service of the latest saga.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Just me and my wife in a bungalow, last couple of years paid £102 monthly and always a little in credit, still paying £34 plus government paid energy amount of 66 so over 200 in credit since we had a smart meter, in credit now all the time by £250, I’m happy to leave the credit there so if we get a real hard winter it’ll offset the extra heating used, keeping an eye on the display in the kitchen showing what we are using is a real eye opener, I always used to fill the kettle and boil it then I’d switch it on again if I didn’t use it straight away, I must admit I’d sometimes boil it 3 times, we bought a air fryer cost us £115 and sent it back after 4-5 days trying it as not impressed with cooking cooking, no idea on the electric saving but it’s gone and a full refund, we bought a dehumidifier about 7 years ago to dry out plastered walls when we first moved in and I dug it out of the shed and when weather is wet we put wet washing on clothes airer and before going to bed switch on the dehumidifier and by morning it is dry, runs on 320watt and smart display only uses 3p an hour, different to having to use the tumble dryer, it’s amazing to see just where we can save gas and electric.

BP
We have been using a dehumidifier for drying washing for many years now. Rarely if ever is the tumble dryer used. On days with a good forecast the washing goes out on the rotary.
When we installed a new kitchen last year the range went out and a new gas cooker replaced it. The gas cooker only has an electric element for the grill in the small oven. I used the grill for the first time last weekend when I wanted to warm through a naan bread. In 5 years the cooker will have saved its purchase price in savings of electricity, and that’s before the hike in prices.

Reactions: Hutch
Jan 3, 2012
Visit site

BP
Well we have been using our Conservatory it got a glass roof and it a good place for drying clothes on our airer and so far it has been great .

Sam Vimes

Sep 7, 2020
Visit site
I've tracked our electric usage over 12 years and on average its 4332 units p.a. We've always been energy conscious and until the beginning of this year thought there wasn't much more we could do without affecting quality of life.

However, with the horrendous price hikes - unjustiified in my opinion - we thought again and have made some more changes. This year so far we've consumed 2860 units and if the remaining 7 weeks are at the same rate as present then we should just go over the 3000 mark.

We've been more conscious of using the ovens more efficiently - so we plan bread and cake making etc. around the times when dinner was something that also needed to go in the oven. Earlier this year we bought a microwave - our first ever - and use it for the occassional heating which would have meant putting the ovens on, which spend a considerable amount of time and energy just getting up to temperature.

Hot water - electrically heated - is provided by two tanks. A small one and a large one. Both are independent and only switched on when needed. The large tank has a manual timer on it which you can set for 30mins, 1hr or 2 hours. We check the water temperature and turn on for the appropriate amount of time. This is used for showers etc. The small one is for sinks and switched on as needed and is located near them.

If you have a large immersion heater which needs to supply hot water to an outlet a long way from it then more cold water than you get hot at the outlet enters the tank which then requires additional heating.

The hot water solar panel supplies the large tank and we'll time having showers etc when its producing 'free' hot water. Ok - you don't have to stand upwind of us when the sun doesn't shine :) . It's very noticeable that the electricity usage drops when the sun shines. Even in winter the panel may raise the temperature of the water a couple of degrees occassionally.

Washing machine and dishwasher are cold feed. The dishwasher gets put on for a full wash only when its - well full! Other times its a quick rinse.

We don't have a tumble dryer but the ventilation system provides adequate drying due to the dehumidification process. The vent system used to run 24/7 except during the summer when windows were open and it got switched off. Now we've extended the switch off period as there are still times in the autumn and winter when doors and windows get opened as we go in and out. We do make sure its on fully overnight though. During times when we are away it has an Unoccupied setting which just cycles it on/off in a 15/45mins ratio. Not quite the same as being fully off.

To aid the washing drying in the times when we can't put it outside - and this might seem a bit over the top - after the oven has been used in the evening we'll move the clothes airer in front of it with the door open. As we heat the house from a log burning stove we'll move the clother airer in front of that before we go to bed.

When at home we used to play music via the media center, which is a small computer and TV. The TV displayed a slide show of family pictures as random music plays. These days we're more likely to listen to the radio which uses less power than the media centre. The media centre gets switched on in the evening to watch something recorded or streamed. Its always powered off when not in use - not in standby.

Computers etc are always powered off after use and not left in standby. The only things on standby are the phones and router.

As previously mentioned we thought we couldn't save any more energy but we have. Can we do this again - doubtful!

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I've tracked our electric usage over 12 years and on average its 4332 units p.a. We've always been energy conscious and until the beginning of this year thought there wasn't much more we could do without affecting quality of life.

However, with the horrendous price hikes - unjustiified in my opinion - we thought again and have made some more changes. This year so far we've consumed 2860 units and if the remaining 7 weeks are at the same rate as present then we should just go over the 3000 mark.

We've been more conscious of using the ovens more efficiently - so we plan bread and cake making etc. around the times when dinner was something that also needed to go in the oven. Earlier this year we bought a microwave - our first ever - and use it for the occassional heating which would have meant putting the ovens on, which spend a considerable amount of time and energy just getting up to temperature.

Hot water - electrically heated - is provided by two tanks. A small one and a large one. Both are independent and only switched on when needed. The large tank has a manual timer on it which you can set for 30mins, 1hr or 2 hours. We check the water temperature and turn on for the appropriate amount of time. This is used for showers etc. The small one is for sinks and switched on as needed and is located near them.

If you have a large immersion heater which needs to supply hot water to an outlet a long way from it then more cold water than you get hot at the outlet enters the tank which then requires additional heating.

The hot water solar panel supplies the large tank and we'll time having showers etc when its producing 'free' hot water. Ok - you don't have to stand upwind of us when the sun doesn't shine :) . It's very noticeable that the electricity usage drops when the sun shines. Even in winter the panel may raise the temperature of the water a couple of degrees occassionally.

Washing machine and dishwasher are cold feed. The dishwasher gets put on for a full wash only when its - well full! Other times its a quick rinse.

We don't have a tumble dryer but the ventilation system provides adequate drying due to the dehumidification process. The vent system used to run 24/7 except during the summer when windows were open and it got switched off. Now we've extended the switch off period as there are still times in the autumn and winter when doors and windows get opened as we go in and out. We do make sure its on fully overnight though. During times when we are away it has an Unoccupied setting which just cycles it on/off in a 15/45mins ratio. Not quite the same as being fully off.

To aid the washing drying in the times when we can't put it outside - and this might seem a bit over the top - after the oven has been used in the evening we'll move the clothes airer in front of it with the door open. As we heat the house from a log burning stove we'll move the clother airer in front of that before we go to bed.

When at home we used to play music via the media center, which is a small computer and TV. The TV displayed a slide show of family pictures as random music plays. These days we're more likely to listen to the radio which uses less power than the media centre. The media centre gets switched on in the evening to watch something recorded or streamed. Its always powered off when not in use - not in standby.

Computers etc are always powered off after use and not left in standby. The only things on standby are the phones and router.

As previously mentioned we thought we couldn't save any more energy but we have. Can we do this again - doubtful!
That’s a substantial saving, which shows an awareness of your energy usage. The downside being that you are unlikely to benefit from the National Grid “payback” to encourage moving away from peak times. We don’t have a smart meter but looking at our electric usage at peak grid times we wouldn’t benefit either as apart from the fridge freezer and 5/10 watts of lighting, router and phone module and tv there’s precious little else available to switch off. But we’ve been doing this for the 3 years since we moved into this house. It’s just our style.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
The problem with the use of ther washing machine runnung at night is the fire risk. The fire brigades advise against it, although to me the risk is very low. I am afraid you have to make your own mind up on that one.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
The problem with the use of ther washing machine runnung at night is the fire risk. The fire brigades advise against it, although to me the risk is very low. I am afraid you have to make your own mind up on that one.
We never leave the washing machine running during the night vas it brings no financial return, nor do we have it running when we are out. It’s not the fire risk, more a flood risk.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
We run the washing machine and the dishwasher after midnight as we are on economy 7 tariff. This morning when I got up 7.30 the power usage was at 4 pence an hour.

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
We run the washing machine and the dishwasher after midnight as we are on economy 7 tariff. This morning when I got up 7.30 the power usage was at 4 pence an hour.
We use our washing machine in the evening after 6pm and it ready for next day to put on the rotary outside .

Ern

May 23, 2021
Visit site
We had a kitchen refit and replaced the gas hob with a decent induction hob, and it is very efficient and has proved to be more cost-effective than gas. Our dishwasher and washing machine are very efficient as they both select variable temperatures and water volumes. These both go on at night, not for reduced cost as our supplier hasn't introduced reduced rates off-peak yet, but they will in the near future. We replaced our gas boiler last year and this too has been definitely more efficient than the old one (I think about15% more effective, however with seasonal temperature variation It's difficult to guestimate that, but it's quieter too). We have done all we can to insulate the house, but will not reduce our comfort levels.

Reactions: Hutch and Jcloughie

Sam Vimes

Sep 7, 2020
Visit site
Good luck with your induction hob. We started with one of those but it proved very unreliable and expensive to fix so switched to a gas hob (from bottles). It was really nice to use and more controllable than the gas but two of the control modules literally blew up. Even one of the replacements had a fault which was replaced f.o.c. But that was enough to make us go for a simpler solution.

This was not a cheap make either and fortunately I could repair it myself because the manufacturer decided to stop support in our area. £400 for each control module of which there were three. Typically the first one went just out of warranty. The second one not long after the first. Would have cost even more had we had to pay an engineer.

So far this Autumn has been very mild for us with temperatures in the 12-14 range which is better than some days in the summer. I think this is helping with the usage reduction since the bathroom underfloor heating hasn't been needed at all - yet!

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Mrs H, noticed on the Paranoid Meter last night at about 9 pm that we had used about £5 of electricity, having only reheated a curry in the microwave, for dinner. I pointed out that I had cut the rear lawn ( electric strimmer and lawn mower). "Well that's the last cut it gets this year". She said. Bonus 😀

Last edited:
Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
We had a kitchen refit and replaced the gas hob with a decent induction hob, and it is very efficient and has proved to be more cost-effective than gas. Our dishwasher and washing machine are very efficient as they both select variable temperatures and water volumes. These both go on at night, not for reduced cost as our supplier hasn't introduced reduced rates off-peak yet, but they will in the near future. We replaced our gas boiler last year and this too has been definitely more efficient than the old one (I think about15% more effective, however with seasonal temperature variation It's difficult to guestimate that, but it's quieter too). We have done all we can to insulate the house, but will not reduce our comfort levels.

We have done very similar over recent years. The induction hob is excellent. Low to mid price range but known make. Some can be silly prices.

John

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
Good luck with your induction hob. We started with one of those but it proved very unreliable and expensive to fix so switched to a gas hob (from bottles). It was really nice to use and more controllable than the gas but two of the control modules literally blew up. Even one of the replacements had a fault which was replaced f.o.c. But that was enough to make us go for a simpler solution.

This was not a cheap make either and fortunately I could repair it myself because the manufacturer decided to stop support in our area. £400 for each control module of which there were three. Typically the first one went just out of warranty. The second one not long after the first. Would have cost even more had we had to pay an engineer.

So far this Autumn has been very mild for us with temperatures in the 12-14 range which is better than some days in the summer. I think this is helping with the usage reduction since the bathroom underfloor heating hasn't been needed at all - yet!
Hi Sam stopping at our holiday bungalow that had underfloor heating in the bathroom wow i was impressed lovely and warm every morning thinking when we do our bathroom might have it done is it expensive to run ?

Sam Vimes

Sep 7, 2020
Visit site
Hi Sam stopping at our holiday bungalow that had underfloor heating in the bathroom wow i was impressed lovely and warm every morning thinking when we do our bathroom might have it done is it expensive to run ?

It is nice and comforting to use but as to running costs that will depend on what you install and how you use it - i.e. what size both electrically and the area covered. and how long you want it on.

It will also depend on the floor type you're putting it under - e.g tile, wood, carpet. And of course what the floor substrate is - wooden floor boards or concrete slab. Ours is upstairs and on a wooden floor with ceramic tiles on top of it. The MVHR (vent system) keeps the room temperature up but its nice to have warm feet as well :) There is no other heating in the bathroom.

Our bathroom floor is about 5m2 and the heating element is 600w. There is a controller for it so you can program when you want it to come on and off and what temperature. We prefer to use it manually by just judging whether or when we think we need it. We set the floor temperature to about 32degC and it warms up quickly but I can't remember how quick. Its not usually on for more than 1hour, so just when showering in the winter months.

We rented a friends house once over christmas which had a similar system in their conservatory but on a concrete floor. It cost a fortune to run and that was a number of years ago.

Reactions: Beachball

Sam Vimes

Sep 7, 2020
Visit site
Finally gave up in getting a Smart Meter. Had the final call from our supplier explaning why it wasn't feasible to install one - basically our area isn't covered by the communications network so it would be a dumb meter. I knew that but I really wanted one in preparation for when we are covered, supposedly by 2025 at the latest, but they wouldn't supply one. Didn't see much use in continuing to push for one.

Would have helped me and perhaps others if there was a network coverage tool like you get for mobile phone providers but there doesn't appear to be one for the public.

The exercise doesn't appear to be completely a waste of time since I now notice their advertising strategy has changed and there are also telephone numbers published for Customer Support, although I suspect you'll still have trouble getting through.

Also for the first time since I've been with them I got an email saying my bill was now available on line. Which it was and it was correct.

Got £105 in compensation which at least will pay a few weeks electricity usage.

Will still consider changing supplier for one with better customer service, in the new year.

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
It is nice and comforting to use but as to running costs that will depend on what you install and how you use it - i.e. what size both electrically and the area covered. and how long you want it on.

It will also depend on the floor type you're putting it under - e.g tile, wood, carpet. And of course what the floor substrate is - wooden floor boards or concrete slab. Ours is upstairs and on a wooden floor with ceramic tiles on top of it. The MVHR (vent system) keeps the room temperature up but its nice to have warm feet as well :) There is no other heating in the bathroom.

Our bathroom floor is about 5m2 and the heating element is 600w. There is a controller for it so you can program when you want it to come on and off and what temperature. We prefer to use it manually by just judging whether or when we think we need it. We set the floor temperature to about 32degC and it warms up quickly but I can't remember how quick. Its not usually on for more than 1hour, so just when showering in the winter months.

We rented a friends house once over christmas which had a similar system in their conservatory but on a concrete floor. It cost a fortune to run and that was a number of years ago.
Our bathroom is on ground level and it concrete floor so when we have the bathroom refit that include a new shower with a drop down seat with a sliding door he will look into it and see what we need but we also have a towel radiator but thanks for the information:)

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Finally gave up in getting a Smart Meter. Had the final call from our supplier explaning why it wasn't feasible to install one - basically our area isn't covered by the communications network so it would be a dumb meter. I knew that but I really wanted one in preparation for when we are covered, supposedly by 2025 at the latest, but they wouldn't supply one. Didn't see much use in continuing to push for one.

Would have helped me and perhaps others if there was a network coverage tool like you get for mobile phone providers but there doesn't appear to be one for the public.

The exercise doesn't appear to be completely a waste of time since I now notice their advertising strategy has changed and there are also telephone numbers published for Customer Support, although I suspect you'll still have trouble getting through.

Also for the first time since I've been with them I got an email saying my bill was now available on line. Which it was and it was correct.

Got £105 in compensation which at least will pay a few weeks electricity usage.

Will still consider changing supplier for one with better customer service, in the new year.
My first attempt to have a smart meter was cancelled at short notice. IE 24 hours. It was said that in our area the mobile network wasn’t good enough to support it. That’s a fact. None of our neighbours have a good signal and have different mobile providers to us. Our second attempt was also cancelled at very short notice but that was said to be due to staff absence. I decided not not to reschedule it; rather to stick it.

I’m now planning a third attempt for early 2023 so that when I come off the cheap tariff in April 2023I can keep a ready eye on the expenditure. Never really had to do that apart from in our hard up younger days, but given the current tariffs it could be “ educational “

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
My first attempt to have a smart meter was cancelled at short notice. IE 24 hours. It was said that in our area the mobile network wasn’t good enough to support it. That’s a fact. None of our neighbours have a good signal and have different mobile providers to us. Our second attempt was also cancelled at very short notice but that was said to be due to staff absence. I decided not not to reschedule it; rather to stick it.

I’m now planning a third attempt for early 2023 so that when I come off the cheap tariff in April 2023I can keep a ready eye on the expenditure. Never really had to do that apart from in our hard up younger days, but given the current tariffs it could be “ educational “
OC , having a smart meter is not educational, it is bloody frightening at the new price tarrifs. We have cut back so much on our power usage. Double jumpers to keep warm etc.
Where as last year we would just have the heating on at 18c all day, now we have it on for an hour in the morning with hot water and this week 2 hours from 5 .30p pm .
But a visual warmth like candles help a lot . The dog gets more cuddles.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
OC , having a smart meter is not educational, it is bloody frightening at the new price tarrifs. We have cut back so much on our power usage. Double jumpers to keep warm etc.
Where as last year we would just have the heating on at 18c all day, now we have it on for an hour in the morning with hot water and this week 2 hours from 5 .30p pm .
But a visual warmth like candles help a lot . The dog gets more cuddles.
Understand but we rarely have heating on until mid afternoon then the lounge takes primacy via the thermostat with bedroom trv’s set low or off. It’s the norm for me to wear a merino t shirt and often paired with a thermocore shirt and sweater/fleece. Over the three years we’ve been in this house £80 pm has still left us in credit at the end of a contract. But regardless I’m aware that our energy payment will rise but having a smart meter may become a necessity if/when changing tariff or supplier when things get back to some form of normality.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
My son works for an energy supplier, and he tells me there is tool for meter installers that tells them about the reliability of communication by post code area.
Apparently there are a number of different smart meters they can fit, Obviously the suppliers want the cheapest model to fit, and where the communications are good, thats the one you'll get, but in more difficult areas the fitters do have alternative but more expensive meters. But ultimately if there is no signal then no smart meter can work.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts