Submit a meter reading today

Page 4 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!

Sam Vimes

Sep 7, 2020
Visit site
Odd thread in that Scottish Power are being both praised and criticised. I wonder if its a localised thing.

John

Not really. Peoples experiences and expectations will vary. Just as they do when selecting a brand of caravan.

I've been with SP for a couple of years. The last time I reviewed my contract they were only a £1 more expensive than the other big players so I stayed with them.

Up until a couple of weeks ago and if asked what I thought of SP, I'd say, 'OK', because they haven't done anything but take my money which insures the volts keep flowing. They've never phoned me for a chat about how I am, nor popped in for a cup of tea and a bun. Basically as I said they just take my money.

Last week if you'd asked me what I thought of SP, I'd say 'Hopeless' because customer service is non-existent or least for the issue I wanted resolved.

Now the sad thing is that despite thinking they're hopeless at customer support, if when I come to renew my contract and they are competitive I'd still go with them. Money talks.

Companies with tens of thousands or millions of customers don't really care if they upset a few.

Reactions: otherclive
May 7, 2012
Visit site
Hi Clive my brother sent a email to Octopus Energy because i rated them but after checking Scottish Power he also got a better deal offered and so far very happy .
Not sure how he got a better deal unless it was some way back as Octopus and everybody else are running at the standard tariff although some Octopus customers got a quote £50 below that. When checking quotes I would ignore the monthly figures as some seem to look very low on usage. What you need to compare is the unit cost as that is what you ultimately pay as the monthly figure may be wrong. I know as I was caught out once by that.
If you want service I would go with Octopus every time over SP.

Reactions: Jcloughie
Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
Not really. Peoples experiences and expectations will vary. Just as they do when selecting a brand of caravan.

I've been with SP for a couple of years. The last time I reviewed my contract they were only a £1 more expensive than the other big players so I stayed with them.

Up until a couple of weeks ago and if asked what I thought of SP, I'd say, 'OK', because they haven't done anything but take my money which insures the volts keep flowing. They've never phoned me for a chat about how I am, nor popped in for a cup of tea and a bun. Basically as I said they just take my money.

Last week if you'd asked me what I thought of SP, I'd say 'Hopeless' because customer service is non-existent or least for the issue I wanted resolved.

Now the sad thing is that despite thinking they're hopeless at customer support, if when I come to renew my contract and they are competitive I'd still go with them. Money talks.

Companies with tens of thousands or millions of customers don't really care if they upset a few.

I still rate customer service as extremely important, even if they are a little more expensive. As you said earlier, the proof is how they react when there is a problem. We were with the Co-op for many years. They pulled out and Octopus agreed to take over their business with our permission. I have only ever had to contact them with minor things, but their customer service has been exemplary. I have not put them to a major test, but I have confidence in them.

It is companies who don’t care about upsetting a few customers I would strongly avoid.

John

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Was not my experience. but it was a ridiculously long time ago. ;)
It was a tongue in cheek comment, but companies can turn themselves around given good management, just as they can go downhill too. In the 20 years since your experience they may have had a number of ups and downs. Who knows , we speak as we find.

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
Not sure how he got a better deal unless it was some way back as Octopus and everybody else are running at the standard tariff although some Octopus customers got a quote £50 below that. When checking quotes I would ignore the monthly figures as some seem to look very low on usage. What you need to compare is the unit cost as that is what you ultimately pay as the monthly figure may be wrong. I know as I was caught out once by that.
If you want service I would go with Octopus every time over SP.
i have gone with Octopus but my brother preferred SP that his choice

Sam Vimes

Sep 7, 2020
Visit site
Anyone had their first payment of £66 off their energy bill. According to the conflicting advice I've read the latest from SP is that once we have made our payment by Direct Debit, it will trigger a refund of £66 back to our bank account.

They took the money today and maybe it will take a while to get through their system but I would hope to see it later today or very soon.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
Anyone had their first payment of £66 off their energy bill. According to the conflicting advice I've read the latest from SP is that once we have made our payment by Direct Debit, it will trigger a refund of £66 back to our bank account.

They took the money today and maybe it will take a while to get through their system but I would hope to see it later today or very soon.
Yes, - Octopus just credited the £66 to my electricity account yesterday and have reduced my Direct Debit accordingly - there does seem to be confusion about how the subsidy is being paid.

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
We got £67 credit to us from Octopus Energy to our account and now it reduced our direct debit each month

Last edited:
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
I was under the impression that the government payment was paid directly to the supplier and for the supplier to credit it to your energy account. For some strange reason BGAS have paid the money into my account although I never requested it? It almost seems that they want us to be in debt to them later in the year when we start using more electric?

It is not even really cold yet, but our usage has gone up from a daily average of £4.50 to £7.00 as we have air source heating! Heating is only one from 6-9am and then 5-10pm. I am expecting our daily usage to exceed £8-9.00 a day.

It also seems that BGAS have not capped their price to the 34p kwh and we are still paying 37p kwh with a 46p standing charge because we are in contract until Aug 2023? I thought regardless of whether you are in contract or not, the price was capped? maybe I misunderstood this?

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I was under the impression that the government payment was paid directly to the supplier and for the supplier to credit it to your energy account. For some strange reason BGAS have paid the money into my account although I never requested it? It almost seems that they want us to be in debt to them later in the year when we start using more electric?

It is not even really cold yet, but our usage has gone up from a daily average of £4.50 to £7.00 as we have air source heating! Heating is only one from 6-9am and then 5-10pm. I am expecting our daily usage to exceed £8-9.00 a day.

It also seems that BGAS have not capped their price to the 34p kwh and we are still paying 37p kwh with a 46p standing charge because we are in contract until Aug 2023? I thought regardless of whether you are in contract or not, the price was capped? maybe I misunderstood this?
That’s an interesting conundrum. previously BG allowed tariff switching with no penalty if you stayed with them. Could you switch to standard capped rate by terminating the fixed price contract. We are on a fixed price at a low rate set in April 2021 until April 2023 and I have not received any reimbursement of £67 yet.

Last edited:
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
However why are the energy companies then transferring the money to the consumer instead of crediting the account with the amount? By giving it to the customer, all it means is that the customer has to pay it back in at a later stage?

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
It gets a bit weirder. I took a reading on 1st Oct and BGAS took a reading on 3rd Oct and their reading is 171kwh less when it should be higher?

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
We got a email from Octopus your next payment will be £133 due on the 15th October instead of £200 so it looks we have saved £67

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
We got a email from Octopus your next payment will be £133 due on the 15th October instead of £200 so it looks we have saved £67

I don't think you have saved anything unless you are in a fixed contract where the charge oper kwh is lower than the £0.34p for a kwh? I think the £67 was to compensate for the increased charges? The knock on of a lower DD may lead to being in debit after the winter instead of being in credit? Again depends on your current contract.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
That’s an interesting conundrum. previously BG allowed tariff switching with no penalty if you stayed with them. Could you switch to standard capped rate by terminating the fixed price contract. We are on a fixed price at a low rate set in April 2021 until April 2023 and I have not received any reimbursement of £67 yet.
This can depend on who you are with and when in the month you pay. We are with Octopus who have confirmed it will be deducted from the October account, we pay late in the month though so will get the deduction then. I think most companies have followed this system but the way they pay it was left to them and I think one or two ae sending a payment to your bank once the monthly payment by you is received.
You need to check your suppliers method which should be on their web page.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Several posts ago I did say that if you are on a fixed price contract you should consult your supplier to see if the price cap would be applied to your contract.

The price cap is a different issue to the governments rebate to consumers. Again you should consult your supplier to find out how the rebate will be made. The rebate is technically a sum of money regardless of usage the Gov't is giving the bill payer.

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
I don't think you have saved anything unless you are in a fixed contract where the charge oper kwh is lower than the £0.34p for a kwh? I think the £67 was to compensate for the increased charges? The knock on of a lower DD may lead to being in debit after the winter instead of being in credit? Again depends on your current contract.
Well so far my account is in credit and the balance £534.06

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
This can depend on who you are with and when in the month you pay. We are with Octopus who have confirmed it will be deducted from the October account, we pay late in the month though so will get the deduction then. I think most companies have followed this system but the way they pay it was left to them and I think one or two ae sending a payment to your bank once the monthly payment by you is received.
You need to check your suppliers method which should be on their web page.
We're with Octopus, normally paying on the 26th - the £66 credit came off our electric account on the 5th so they aren't waiting for the DD to be paid.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts