Suggestions for route & stopover sites Rotterdam to Lake Annecy

Jun 5, 2022
Visit site
We are contemplating taking the Hull - Rotterdam crossing August 2023 as a change from Calais and will be making our way to Lake Annecy. Has anyone done this route and have any tips, route suggestions or good stopover sites to suggest please?

Mar 17, 2020
Visit site
Some idea about how many hours you would care to drive each day would help figure out a route and if you are towing or Motorhome Suzi.

Not knowing this nor your preferences for roads (Tolls or free) also makes suggesting anything difficult.

However, If 'twere me I would head to Luxembourg using the free Belgium motorways and cheap fuel in Luxemburg. After that south to Nancy picking up the A31 shortly and paying thereafter.

I would estimate maybe 11 or 12 hours towing for complete route and personally stop after up to 4 hours each day (3 days travel)

Specific site recommendations will depend upon the issues I've touched on above.

Jun 5, 2022
Visit site
Some idea about how many hours you would care to drive each day would help figure out a route and if you are towing or Motorhome Suzi.

Not knowing this nor your preferences for roads (Tolls or free) also makes suggesting anything difficult.

However, If 'twere me I would head to Luxembourg using the free Belgium motorways and cheap fuel in Luxemburg. After that south to Nancy picking up the A31 shortly and paying thereafter.

I would estimate maybe 11 or 12 hours towing for complete route and personally stop after up to 4 hours each day (3 days travel)

Specific site recommendations will depend upon the issues I've touched on above.

Thanks. We are towing a caravan. Would be prepared to have a couple of days with longer drives of potentially about 6 hours. Happy to pay for tolls if needed.

Oct 8, 2006
Visit site

I was going to suggest that route yesterday so at least I know I'm not raving mad after all!

The municipal in Annecy has lovely views over the lake but it requires a hill climb getting in. Only a 10 or so minute walk into the lovely old town centre BUT it is very steep especially going up on the way back. You can walk along the road a few hundred metres and up the access road/slope, or you can just drive all the way!

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Thanks. We are towing a caravan. Would be prepared to have a couple of days with longer drives of potentially about 6 hours. Happy to pay for tolls if needed.
A 6 hour drive is an awfully long and tiring drive. As suggest 4 hour drive each day is more relaxing and also much safer. In either case a break every hour or so for at least 20 minutes is reecommended.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
A 6 hour drive is an awfully long and tiring drive. As suggest 4 hour drive each day is more relaxing and also much safer. In either case a break every hour or so for at least 20 minutes is reecommended.

6 hours is not unreasonable given some breaks. Going to Scotland or Europe we would do 400 miles some days but always took regular rest stops. But 20 minutes every hour isn’t in line with normal recommendations which tend to be to take a break every two hours.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Taking a break for at least 20 minutes in each hour isn’t in line with any recommendations that I have seen. But if that’s what suits a driver then that’s fine.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Apologies for being a bit uppity as reading posts the wrong way this morning. Being on your own and trying to cope with all the housework etc eventually gets to you. :)
No apology required, sorry to hear that you are on your own again. Hope that events turn more positive for you and your wife.

Last edited:
Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
That's uneccessarily conservative, in my opinion.

The government’s road safety campaign, Think! recommends taking a 15-minute break every two to three hours.

Despite my age and health issues, I can still cope comfortable with 8 hours going up to Scotland with a "comfort" break every 2 hours or so.

The important thing is only drive as far as you feel comfortable.

Mar 17, 2020
Visit site
Length of drive is a personal decision. Of course a stop every couple of hours is a sensible decision but again, I'm more inclined to do maybe 4 hours and then stop. It's personal!

In the case of the OP it may be there are two drivers or one who, like me, is perfectly able to go for a 4 hour stink.

I hesitate to submit a view beyond just be sure you are safe and within your own personal limits. I certainly will not presume to impose my limitations onto someone else.

I'm with RogerL on this one.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts