Sunncamp or Starcamp

Page 2 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
In 2015 and in my late sixties we purchased the Kampa Air Ace 400 awning. We found it very hard to thread through the awning rail due to the weight of the tubes even with the panels removed.
After only a few nights we sold it at a small loss and bought the Isabella Magnum poled version as easier and quicker to erect than an air awning. The other reasons were water pooling on the roof and condensation inside.

For air vs pole awning erection see
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGibcUJBWew
That’s why I prefer poled awnings plus having awning and poles separate it gives more flexibility for stowing when touring or at home.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
That’s why I prefer poled awnings plus having awning and poles separate it gives more flexibility for stowing when touring or at home.
We have also been told that if the pitch is sloping, it is difficult to get the awning to sit level as no flexibility in adjusting the air awning legs like a poled version.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Update
The Sunncamp Swift Air 220 has arrived and looks and feels good, inflated in our dining room to check the tube isnt leaking ,bought from Purely Outdoors website, quick delivery. There are 2 sunncamps Swift or Dash, the Dash is cheaper and less robust material , otherwise same sizes etc.The 220 is plenty big enough for our table and pair of chairs, and my main concern was weight, once unpacked from box and repacked in bag very lightweight in comparison to our Vango 150 air awnng, approx half the weight.Roll on lockdown ending, to get chance to try it.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Woodsie, I hope yours is as good as our is, when in strong winds and rain , the beam does flex, but it has always returned ok. I carry some, clear Gorrila tape, just in case of a puncture, which has not happened.

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
We brought this last year they were packing up this has been used once from new.. 2016 Outdoor Revolution compactalite pro classic 250 porch awning excellent condition so far once with us .
The only thing i wanted some thing quicker to put up that why l brought a air porch awning to each its own

Last edited:
Mar 27, 2011
Visit site
I’m waiting on a 2021 Vango Balletto 300 to arrive, I chose this for several reasons, I wanted an awning that is easy to erect and watching the video it looks as though it is, I love the way it sits looking straight with no curved air beams just nice and straight and tidy looking, large fat air beams that should stand up to a fair amount of wind, with it being a 300 I’m surprised it’s called a porch, but ideal for a table and chairs and the coats and dirty shoes, I like the fact it’s a new 2021 model so if I’m unlucky and need spares they should be available for sometime, I spent hours looking online and visiting various dealers during lockdown gaps but couldn’t find anything I liked the look of any better so fingers crossed I’ve made the right choice, I’m hoping to have it by the time we go on first trip this year to Tudor caravan park in slimbridge, if not it’s pretty much a cert for our following trip, fingers crossed I’ve made the right choice.

BP

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I’m waiting on a 2021 Vango Balletto 300 to arrive, I chose this for several reasons, I wanted an awning that is easy to erect and watching the video it looks as though it is, I love the way it sits looking straight with no curved air beams just nice and straight and tidy looking, large fat air beams that should stand up to a fair amount of wind, with it being a 300 I’m surprised it’s called a porch, but ideal for a table and chairs and the coats and dirty shoes, I like the fact it’s a new 2021 model so if I’m unlucky and need spares they should be available for sometime, I spent hours looking online and visiting various dealers during lockdown gaps but couldn’t find anything I liked the look of any better so fingers crossed I’ve made the right choice, I’m hoping to have it by the time we go on first trip this year to Tudor caravan park in slimbridge, if not it’s pretty much a cert for our following trip, fingers crossed I’ve made the right choice.

BP
Vango are excellent for spares support. I had one of their tents and a carbon pole broke. No problem obtaining a proper Vango spare pole for a 6 year old tent.

Mar 27, 2011
Visit site
I’ve never had a Vango awning but from what I’ve read they seem to sell decent equipment and get good reviews in all I’ve looked at, under normal circumstances I’d never buy an awning and pay out £700 with the cost of carpet and roof lining without an opportunity to see it first but as I said vango’s reputation seems good, so I decided to risk it.

BP

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
Well i brought this last year a Vango Varkala 280 ll air porch so far it been brilliant but i did see it up at a caravan dealer that why we brought it .

Jan 25, 2012
Visit site
I think we'll stick with the Kampa Rally Pro 390. It's easy to adjust. As always, the pegging out takes the time, even with steel screw pegs. Loved the video!

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
I think we'll stick with the Kampa Rally Pro 390. It's easy to adjust. As always, the pegging out takes the time, even with steel screw pegs. Loved the video!
Some friends of ours when we were seasonal a few years back brought this for his caravan a Kampa Rally 390 All Season awning he loves it

Last edited:
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Those of you with the air awnings, do you have loads of guy ropes or straps to hold it in place? When we erect our traditional awning, we do not use any guy ropes to hold it in place. Our storm straps when we have to use them go inside the awning in the corners so no guy ropes to trip over.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
If you look at the photo of mine its just the two yellow ones at the front. If the weather is good, then you don't need those if your around the caravan. But at night I always put them on.

Reactions: JezzerB
Mar 27, 2011
Visit site
Buckman You must be the only person that doesn’t use guy ropes on an awning, I’ve still to see anyone without them but your choice, I’ve had awnings with poles and air and both needed guy ropes, air awnings need no more guy ropes than a poled awning.

BP

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Buckman You must be the only person that doesn’t use guy ropes on an awning, I’ve still to see anyone without them but your choice, I’ve had awnings with poles and air and both needed guy ropes, air awnings need no more guy ropes than a poled awning.

BP
Trure as we have never used guy ropes to keep either the tradional Venture Marlin or current Isabella Magnum in place even in very windy weather although we do have the storm traps in place which fit inside the awning.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I had a Isabella Magnum and always fitted the internal storm straps. They run parallel to the front left and right hand poles. As an added measure ours had a series of fastening points running about 20 inches above the front and side walls. Isabella supply connectors for these points abs the guy rope just goes up and down in a W fashion and is pegged at multiple points. We used them once in France when the forecast was horrendous. Cant say whether the standard storm straps would have been enough, but no point in taking an unnecessary risk. But ours worked great, others not so great.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site

BP
Neither our Isabella full awning, or NR porch awning needed guy ropes under normal weather conditions, but in both cases storm straps were added when gale force wind were forecast. Both were proper poled awnings, not thin carbon poles.

We never used the lower attachment points for guy ropes on the Isabella.

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
If a awning comes with guyropes or storm straps we follow the instructions how to put them on and to us it better to be safe to each its own

Sam Vimes

Sep 7, 2020
Visit site
Got my Sunncamp 260 awning and like Woodsieboy opened it in the lounge to check it out. Pumps up in about 30 strokes and looks ok.

Managed to get it back into bag first go. Probably some genetic disposition as my mother served in the WAAFS as a Parchute Packer / Instructor.

Reactions: JezzerB
Jan 31, 2018
Visit site
There are guy ropes but not that many that it's any harder work than all the base straps. If the ground isn't level you can easily block up an air leg.

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
Got my Sunncamp 260 awning and like Woodsieboy opened it in the lounge to check it out. Pumps up in about 30 strokes and looks ok.

Managed to get it back into bag first go. Probably some genetic disposition as my mother served in the WAAFS as a Parchute Packer / Instructor.
Hi Sam i hope you like your Sunncamp 260 look forward to a update when you are on site

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site

Yes, for some reason they have given an oversized bag.

I tend to roll around on the ground with mine, but Beach ball thats not for you. 😊

Sam Vimes

Sep 7, 2020
Visit site
I'll let you know how we get on with it. Our first trip, regulations permitting, is end of April.

I can still recall the very first time, many years ago, of putting up a full size awning. My son-in-law was helping and it was a very windy site in Kent. When we opened up the bag the instructions took off and were never seen again. We thought we could manage so went ahead and the van provided some shelter but we struggled to get it into the awning rail - only just a few feet along. My wife went to ask another owner if they had any tips and they came along and sprayed the awning rail with some lubricant which made life easier.

When they spent some considerable time and effort getting it all put up and pegged down. When we stood back something didn't look right. So my wife went to look at some others and when she came back we realised we'd put it up inside out. After some strong words which included 'well its bl**dy well staying that way' we took it down and then re-erected it the correct way around.

Hopefully wont be caught like that again.

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
I'll let you know how we get on with it. Our first trip, regulations permitting, is end of April.

I can still recall the very first time, many years ago, of putting up a full size awning. My son-in-law was helping and it was a very windy site in Kent. When we opened up the bag the instructions took off and were never seen again. We thought we could manage so went ahead and the van provided some shelter but we struggled to get it into the awning rail - only just a few feet along. My wife went to ask another owner if they had any tips and they came along and sprayed the awning rail with some lubricant which made life easier.

When they spent some considerable time and effort getting it all put up and pegged down. When we stood back something didn't look right. So my wife went to look at some others and when she came back we realised we'd put it up inside out. After some strong words which included 'well its bl**dy well staying that way' we took it down and then re-erected it the correct way around.

Hopefully wont be caught like that again.
Our first trip this season is to Pickering in April (if lockdown is over) so i will let you know how we get on to .each its own.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts