Super municipals

Jan 2, 2008
Visit site
If anyone can recommend any good municipal sites in France, please read my post with the same heading which I posted by mistake in the UK parks and touring section. Thanks.

Dec 14, 2006
Visit site
Camp Municipal Louis Rigoly, Chatillon-sur-Seine 0033 (0)3 80 91 03 05

Camp Municipal Plancherotte, Coullons, Loire0033 (0)2 38 29 20 42

Camp Municipal Les Chenes, Route de Loches, Valencay, 0033 03 54 00 03 92

Three for starters - all good facilites, walking distance to a town with something worth seeing, and all convenient places for an overnight stop or longer.

Feb 18, 2008
Visit site
Hi Ron

Whilst I'll not list all the municipals in France that we have stayed at what I will say is that with only a few exceptions all have been very good / excellent.

Many are equally as good as commercial sites but usually at a fraction of the cost. Some are a bit quirky, one at Futeau for instance is actually in the village churchyard but a delightful site albeit small. Others are like being in public parks but without the public. The one at Tanninge was so good, our two day stopover lasted 13 days !

Having used municipals since 1993 I can count on one hand the ones that I wouldn't want to go back to.

The ones near autoroutes are frequently used as stopovers and some especially near bigger towns are used by our "travelling friends", usually described in Caravan Europe as "market traders possibly on site".

Give them a go. I'm sure you won't be disappointed.

John M

Jan 2, 2008
Visit site
Hi Ron

Whilst I'll not list all the municipals in France that we have stayed at what I will say is that with only a few exceptions all have been very good / excellent.

Many are equally as good as commercial sites but usually at a fraction of the cost. Some are a bit quirky, one at Futeau for instance is actually in the village churchyard but a delightful site albeit small. Others are like being in public parks but without the public. The one at Tanninge was so good, our two day stopover lasted 13 days !

Having used municipals since 1993 I can count on one hand the ones that I wouldn't want to go back to.

The ones near autoroutes are frequently used as stopovers and some especially near bigger towns are used by our "travelling friends", usually described in Caravan Europe as "market traders possibly on site".

Give them a go. I'm sure you won't be disappointed.

John M
Thanks John. We too have stayed at many municipals. I just thought that this was the ideal forum for sharing the better ones rather than the usual 'all bells and whistles' sites. Thanks for your post.

Jul 11, 2006
Visit site
Bourges - almost the centre of France - meets the criteria, as does the ones at Verdun-sur-Soane and (especially) Obernai.

One to avoid is the one that others recommend (can't think why) at the other (WW1) Verdun.

Jan 2, 2006
Visit site
Camping Reisle as mentioned is good and ideal if leaving early to catch a ferry as they give you a zapper to open the barrier and the first few pitches are long and thin and level so the car and van can be left hooked up for a quick and quiet getaway

Jan 2, 2008
Visit site
Again, thanks for the posts. Another two that come to mind are the municipals listed under St Yrieix la Perche. One is in the town and the other is about 12K away. Both are excellent. The other under that town is not a Municipal but is very good.

Dec 14, 2006
Visit site
Do you mean Les Vigeres at La Chalard?

You're the only person I've 'met' who's ever been anywhere near St Yrieux - we have a friend with a house in La Chalard and were there last a couple of years ago.

Jan 2, 2008
Visit site

You're the only person I've 'met' who's ever been anywhere near St Yrieux - we have a friend with a house in La Chalard and were there last a couple of years ago.
Hi Val. The site at Chalard is is Camping les Vigeres. It's owned by an English couple who are very friendly. The site itself is quiet and well maintained, although quite shady. In our version of the CC 'bible' (2007) lake swimming and a sandy beach are mentioned but don't exist. We loved the area and did some marked walks, the one from Ladignac-le-Long being particularly good. We also liked the town of St Y-l-P which had a good market. Last there 2 years ago and plan to return in June. May see you there!

Dec 14, 2006
Visit site
Hi Val. The site at Chalard is is Camping les Vigeres. It's owned by an English couple who are very friendly. The site itself is quiet and well maintained, although quite shady. In our version of the CC 'bible' (2007) lake swimming and a sandy beach are mentioned but don't exist. We loved the area and did some marked walks, the one from Ladignac-le-Long being particularly good. We also liked the town of St Y-l-P which had a good market. Last there 2 years ago and plan to return in June. May see you there!
Hi Ron - we actually stayed at Les Vigeres - which is very near to our friend's house - just up the lane in fact. His house is a little 'rustic' and in the process of being 'done-up' so the bedroom(s) are just one huge roof space, with some truss beams, and a toilet, washbasin and bath stuck in one corner, in full view of the bed(s) - and only curtains between! We decided the caravan was more private - and the wash block at Les Vigeres infinitely preferable to a 'communal' loo!

We also went so Segur le Chateau, and Jumhilac le Grand, whilst staying with our friend - both lovely places to visit - as well as some of the Richard Coeur de Lion 'trail' highlights.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site

I've been to St Yrieux too and stopped on a site run by some English people with a Roller in their barn!

Can't remember its name though!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts