supermarket carparks

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Witnessed a disgusting episode today in local supermarket. "Y" reg. Freelander parked along side "S" reg. Mondeo. The wind caught the door of the Freelander and banged straight into the front passenger door of the Mondeo leaving a vertical dent the whole depth of the passenger door panel. The female driver looked at us and drove off without leaving any form of note for the Mondeo driver. Fair enough it was an old car but could still be his/her pride and joy. More so it could have been a new car that was damaged.

G

Did you take the reg number of the Freelander? If so, you could put it on a note on the windscreen and advise your name as a witness. At least then the Mondeo owners insuance would probably pay up.

LMH

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Exactly the same thing happened to us three weeks ago.

Husband parked in a supermarket. When he returned to his car, there was a deep scratch and dent from the front wing to the back wing.

Horrible when it happens to you.

Lisa

Apr 23, 2007
Visit site
Any car park, always park well out of the way from as many cars. The far corners are usually very quiet and I take up 2 bays. Now I wouldn't do that if it meant there would be no space to park. By providing a car park, shops therefore should have a responsibility to provide bays big enough so your car doesn't get damaged.

Ian

G

I think you are on dodgy ground if you expect the supermarket to take any respo/nsibility for parking. It is their ground for sure, but it is your choice as to whether you use it or not. I am sure each bay is the minimum required, but of course if you get the hamfisted, or the sudden gust of wind, then anything can go wrong.

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
Scouse Ian

Man after my own heart, I keep fit by parking well away from every one else.

The number of time i've retuned to the remotest end of the car park with viurtually no other cars to find some sociable B....rd parked so close I can hardly get in. Sods Law I think they call it.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
SWMBO had her front bumper damaged recently in the Lymm Baptist Church car park following a WI meeting. The drive who hit her car must have known:-(. Chips Away have done a great job with the repair.

Jun 28, 2007
Visit site
my brother had someone reverse out of a space without looking and crunched his front end.

They gave him all their details so he could claim but when he tried he was told it was on private ground and therefore not covered. (admittedly it was a few years ago now so not sure if this is still the case).

Jul 9, 2001
Visit site
Ian, beware doing that as even if the carpark is not full, some have signs saing you are liable to be fined / clamped if you do not park between the lines. Also most of the carparks are contracted out so there is no point complaining to the store manager.

Apr 23, 2007
Visit site
Zafiral

I would be very wary of parking ANYWHERE there is clamping.

If they advertise 'penalties' or 'tickets/fines', ignore them. Its a private company who (through a disgusting law) can get your address from the DVLA. They then send you invoices, letters from so called solicitors, letters threatening bailiffs, etc. All of these looking oh so official. Its all just a big con. They would have to take you to court to prove that you did in fact owe this money. That you had actually agreed to a contract, having read and understood all of the T&C's. I have yet to find one example of a person being prosecuted for non payment of one of these 'fines'.

Two years ago I was run over my thieves in my own car (another story) and my lower left leg was in plaster. Now this meant that I could drive and walk slowly on my crutches. I decided to go to B&Q for a small item. As it was a weekday and car park was virtually empty I decided to park in a disabled bay (I believe I was in fact justified in doing this) I got a 'ticket' for this. Its just a piece of paper that has yellow and black squares on it that looks like a council one. I still receive the odd letter about it but its just a big con.

Jan 12, 2007
Visit site
hi all

just an observation............have you noticed how many drivers,drive into bays at supermarkets?......and if you notice it is a lot harder trying to drive into a bay than it is reversing into one because you will need a wider swing when driving into a bay

then when coming out of the bay,if you have driven into it.....you need to reverse out of it.......it is so much easier to reverse into parking bays

hgv dave

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
Hmmm

I suppose you could then squeeze your trolley down the side of somone elses car to get it close enough to put the bags into the boot.

Think I'd rather drive in.

In fact I think I'll stay at the far end of the car park where some plonker doesn't get the chance to reverse in next to me and damage my car when he lets th 8 year old ram the trolley through the gap to get to the boot.

Nov 23, 2008
Visit site
I always reverse in to a space no matter where I am but in a supermarket carpark I just leave the trolley at the end of the car unless the space next to me is empty

Dec 23, 2006
Visit site
I had my Shogun badly scratched by an irresponsible person who left their trolley next to my car. The wind caught it and blew it into and down the side of the car.

Why can't trolleys be returned to a trolley park? It would be god help us if everyone left their trolleys around the car park.

In many cases new arrivals have to get out of their car to remove the trolley.

Abandend trolleys cause all sorts of problems for disabled and especially people in wheelchairs.

It is another aspect of people in society saying "sod you, i'm alright jack".

It shows a complete lack of respect for other people.

We often, i in many cases believe unfairly, accuse the younger generation of showing a lack of respect. Is it any wonder if they are being set such a bad example.

In some carparks you have to put a pound coin in a slot to release the trolley. I would bring this in at all supermarket carparks and increase it to two pound slot. However this would penalise responsible people.

Hamer

Nov 23, 2008
Visit site
thats one of my bugbears really annoys me especially as we have loads of trolley bays I will be honest and say if its windy I usually go to the supermarket with the underground carpark so the trolley doesn't get blown away as I have had my car damaged by trolleys banging into it most of our supermarkets don't have coin slots but they have the mechanism to prevent them from being removed from the carpark.

Feb 16, 2009
Visit site
Better still use your local shops, they will load your car for you in some cases, most of the time just has cheap and use local produce + you can catch up on all the gossip.

Only problem PC plod moves you on for parking, doesn't matter they have put those stupid islands jutting out in the road to slow traffic down, park cars do the same thing and don't cost nowt, no wonder local shops can't compete with the big boys, they have the government in their pockets.

NigelH

May 25, 2009
Visit site
whats a local shop? we've now only got 2 butchers no grocers and the only bakers are the big chains.
Hi,

Three instances of cars driving into parked cars in car parks.

Hearsay. Driver gets out writes note, leaves on widscreen "Everybody watching thinks I am writing my name and address".

Hearsay. Man driving, leaves note. " I wish to apologise on behalf of my wife ......."

True, happened to my sister's boyfriend. Offending car drove off, but somebody got its number. Police were not interested, private property ....... until the offending car was used in an armed robbery.

TRENDING THREADS