Swan Neck to Flange Type Towball

Jan 2, 2007
Visit site
Anyone know if it is possible to convert a swan neck towball to a flange-type towball ? Is there a "convertor" that could bolt into bracket (as fixed to car) in lieu of the swan neck, which could then take the "traditional" flange-type towball (which could then be used with flange fitting cycle carrier) ?

Any advice welcome.

Ann

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
No, there is no such adapter. If there were, it would be illegal because it would be a modification to a type-approved design and that, itself, would require approval. However, you may be lucky and find an adapter for the cycle carrier so that its bolt-on attachment can be converted to suit the exisiting swan neck towbar. That would not be illegal.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
It depends if its a Brink towbar they appear to use the same basic bracket with the swan neck bolting between 2 vertical arms

The bolt on ball seems to use the same vertical arms with 2 pieces of right angle steel back to back to form a T

The short arm of the T bolts between the the 2 vertical arms and the top of the T is vertical with the 2 holes for the bolt on ball

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
Towbar makers may use common design for flange and swan neck fitments but they won't sell individual components as the don't have type approval for such hybrid installations.

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
Even if Brink use the same basic bracket, the towball arms themselves are specific to either the swan neck (fixed type only) or the bolt-on flange version. Type approval is specific to the complete assembly, consisting of the bracket and the arm. Therefore, any modification made to the assembly, even if it is only to replace the arm by another of a different design, will also require a change of label on the towbar assembly because this label gives details of the type approval.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Well when I had a Brink on the X Trail they certainly looked the same but I do not have the expert knowledge to prove that they are

If I had a Brink I would certainly contact them to find out

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I have sent this email to Brink so that we may know what they say rather than what we think they may say

I have a Nissan X Trail with a Brink swan neck towball and would like to know if it is possible to replace the swan neck with a bolt on ball to facilitate the fitting of a bike carrier

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
I wouldn't doubt that the basic bracket could be the same. The swan neck may therefore very well be technically replaceable by a bolt-on flange but the tape approval label would normally have to be changed to reflect this modification. I therefore await Brink's response to your email with interest.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
Even if Brink use the same basic bracket, the towball arms themselves are specific to either the swan neck (fixed type only) or the bolt-on flange version. Type approval is specific to the complete assembly, consisting of the bracket and the arm. Therefore, any modification made to the assembly, even if it is only to replace the arm by another of a different design, will also require a change of label on the towbar assembly because this label gives details of the type approval.
That's what I was trying to say.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
It would be more logical from a production cost point of view to design the arms to fit both types I would have thought

Jun 5, 2005
Visit site
Ann you dont say if you want to use the cycle carrier when towing .if you want to use a cycle carrier when not towing their are suitable swan neck cycle carriers at the following links www.roofbox.co.uk/bikeRack1.html or

http://www.cyclexpress.co.uk/./Products/Kansas_2_Bike_Towball_Mount_.aspx
I too have a swan neck I use a traditional 2 cycles rack which rests on the Bumper of my hatchback and straps on to the rear it also suitable for saloons. I have towed with this down to italy and had no problems. If you go on the Halfords website it gives advice for vehicles which are compatible with certain racks.

Ian

Jan 2, 2007
Visit site
Thanks to all who have replied to my post. We've acquired a Passat Estate, which has a swan neck towbar fitted, but we have a flange mounted cycle carrier/bash plate from our X-Trail. I am concerned that there is also insufficient clearance between the swan neck towball and the car bumper to clear an AKS 2004 hitch as fitted to our Bailey Senator Indiana (we've not yet towed with it).Alko say that there needs to be minimum 67 mm from centre of the towball to the nearest part of the car, but although we have about 72mm, this does not look enough under (virtually) full articulation. Anyone know if this is OK? This is why I am looking to "convert" the swan neck to flange type, using a converter.

Towsure use a t-piece to switch what could be a swan neck to flange type, but won't sell anything other than a complete towbar - probably as the whole kit is type-approved (but you can then buy any towball to bolt onto the flange ?!).

Any further advice welcome - thanks again.

Ann

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
Al-Ko state that all swan neck towbars should have sufficient clearance for an AKS2004/3004 stabiliser hitch. Some 4x4s with tailgate mounted spare wheels have a problem with clearance but other cars shouldn't.

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
I have never heard of anyone having problems regarding clearance between a swan neck towball and the bumper, at least when an original factory-spec towbar from one of the big towbar manufacturers like Brink, Oris or Westfalia is fitted. Here on the Continent, flange mounted towballs are used almost exclusively on commercial vehicles only, all cars and most 4x4's are fitted 100% with swan neck towbars.

Apr 23, 2005
Visit site
Ann, Whatever you decide just remember that you must add the tow bar carrier weight and total cycle weights to your required van nose weight and stay within your vehicles noseweight allowance to be safe on the road.

I tow the Indiana with two cycles mounted on the towbar but my towcar has a 140 kilo noseweight allowance.

You may be safer to take the route of a strap on or roof rack.

Jan 2, 2007
Visit site
Thanks for your comments. We never carry the bikes on the cycle rack when towing - only when solo. The carrier is a flange fitting, and incompatible with the swan neck on our Passat.

Looks like I will have to make a bracket capable of using the bolts on the swan neck bracket to which I could fit my carrier (without it fouling the towhitch)......

Ann

Jan 2, 2007
Visit site
Update : VW dealer couldn't fix 13 pin to 12 S electrics so agreed for Chester Trailer Centre to rewire the car (and replace the swan neck towbar with a flange type). Turns out that the whole side of the 12S wiring in the car had never been connected. Anyone want to buy a genuine VW Passat Estate towbar plus 13 pin electrics ??

Ann

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
If it took the dealer so long to realise that the wiring of the 13 pin connection was incomplete (which it often is without an additional service wiring harness) and is then unable to fix it, that really doesn't say much for the dealer. If he is so incompetent I would, if I had been in your position, have demanded that he should carry the full cost for converting the towbar to flange mounted and 12S electrics.

SBS

Mar 15, 2007
Visit site
I was at the Witter stand at the NEC yesterday and thay have bolt-on towballs to fit the detachable socket.

Hope this helps - Mike

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I was there on Friday and asked at Bosal about this topic but no joy

Brink failed to reply which probably doesn't come as a surprise to some posters!!

TRENDING THREADS