Swapping out Truma Combi 4E for new one with Inet X panel

Mar 15, 2021
Visit site
I'm wondering if anyone knows the answer to this, I have an older Truma Combi 4E (with a CP25 control panel), it's started to pop the T10AH fuse regularly, so I can't use it on hookup (it works fine on gas), I was thinking of swapping out the PCB (around £300) , but I've also read that it could be the motors or the elements. I've already had the fan motor at the top changed for a different reason, I'm just conscious of dropping hundreds on it and still having an old boiler with other potential issues.
So I'm toying with the idea of just removing it and replacing with a brand new Truma system along with the new Inet X control panel. The gas/water connections (and the boiler itself) look physically identical, so looks like a fairly easy swap.
So I guess my question is: will the existing cable that connects my existing control panel to the old boiler be compatible with the new iNet X panel, or would I need to run a new cable over to it? (It's above the door in my Swift Challenger, so a bit of a pain), so I'm wondering how plug 'n' play this'll be. Anyone with any experience of doing this?

Thanks in advance,
Steve.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I agree with Plod, Ask the manufacturer. But on note of safety, unless you are fully competent and qualified to work on the appliance you should only consider carrying out normal consumer maintenance, anything more detailed such as dismantling, repairing removing or installing a replacements which need both relevant knowledge and safety test equipment should be performed by a qualified trained fitter.

Mar 15, 2021
Visit site
The best people to ask has to be Truma.
Have you checked out the cost of a new combi? They ain't cheap items!
Yes, I've seen a kit for £1,390.
I have indeed messaged Truma, but not yet received a reply, just thought I'd reach out to the forums and see if anyone's done it.
From what I can see online, it uses the same RJ12 data cable, so looks like it would be able to use the same link cable.

Mar 15, 2021
Visit site
I agree with Plod, Ask the manufacturer. But on note of safety, unless you are fully competent and qualified to work on the appliance you should only consider carrying out normal consumer maintenance, anything more detailed such as dismantling, repairing removing or installing a replacements which need both relevant knowledge and safety test equipment should be performed by a qualified trained fitter.
I have indeed asked Truma, it seems their turnaround is a bit slow.
Even though I know I could install it easily, I would probably just get it installed during my caravan's yearly service, otherwise the system warranty wouldn't be valid. (The service centre are certified, natch)
My main concern was whether the data link cable was the same (I believe it is the same RJ12 cable, so that saves a lot of labour time)

Still on the fence about what to do, I've seen Thermo Technica do a bolt in 4E replacement which is supposedly better than the Truma, that's £950.
But I do know that I'm fed up of continually repairing the existing boiler, would be happy to pay more to know it's reliable.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I know from experience that Truma (and other manufacturers') have been known to use what visually look like identical parts on different models, but in fact the parts may be incompatible. The only way of being certain is to compare the spare parts number (if you can find them.....) and if they are the same Truma number - the they should be compatible. Some times with things like control cables they may offer a different length, which will have its own Truma Part number, and if its an option they have been known to list the part number in the hand books.

These days I don't have access to the data on either of the models you have mentioned, so I can't confirm if its the same cable of not.

Reactions: Goto10
Mar 15, 2021
Visit site
Thanks for the reply, coincidentally Truma have now gotten back to me, aside from resoldering the 12v connector, it sounds like a straight swap. This will make things easier. I'm leaning towards the Thermo Technica system (comes with the CP+ control panel, so a minor upgrade over my CP25 panel too), not sure I can really justify >£400 on a touchscreen controller.

Truma:
"Hi, The data cable would be the same, and the 12v cable can be used, you'd just have to swap the connector on the end so it fits the new panel. I hope this helps"

Jun 6, 2006
Visit site
I'm wondering if anyone knows the answer to this, I have an older Truma Combi 4E (with a CP25 control panel), it's started to pop the T10AH fuse regularly, so I can't use it on hookup (it works fine on gas), I was thinking of swapping out the PCB (around £300) , but I've also read that it could be the motors or the elements. I've already had the fan motor at the top changed for a different reason, I'm just conscious of dropping hundreds on it and still having an old boiler with other potential issues.
So I'm toying with the idea of just removing it and replacing with a brand new Truma system along with the new Inet X control panel. The gas/water connections (and the boiler itself) look physically identical, so looks like a fairly easy swap.
So I guess my question is: will the existing cable that connects my existing control panel to the old boiler be compatible with the new iNet X panel, or would I need to run a new cable over to it? (It's above the door in my Swift Challenger, so a bit of a pain), so I'm wondering how plug 'n' play this'll be. Anyone with any experience of doing this?

Thanks in advance,
Steve.
Do you get error messages come up, they would be useful to know, this would point to what direction it needs to go!

Mar 15, 2021
Visit site
Do you get error messages come up, they would be useful to know, this would point to what direction it needs to go!
Unfortunately not, it just says "error! 230v not connected" (or words to that effect) - I replaced the T10AH again (I bought a genuine Truma part, just on the outside chance the fuses I'd sourced from eBay were no good) - powered it back up, it was ok for a few mins before it went again (I even heard it click when the fuse popped), then it reverted to the same error as above. Almost certainly a PCB change (£300+ for the part), but then could also be a motor, or both, or indeed something else entirely, then once I've spent all of that money and time, I still have an old boiler, the £950 for a new boiler with an updated CP+ control panel is the route I'm going to take, rather than going in circles with this one (it's been causing me problems for over a year now, had them assessed and looked at by approved service centres, now just had enough with it)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts