Swift / ALKO spare wheel carrier - NIGHTMARE.

Sep 2, 2023
Visit site
So, whilst the van was raised on axle stands having changed the tyres that were 6 years old but looking as if they’d been fitted yesterday!! I decided to do a 'belt and braces' job and lower the spare from its telescopic carrier and check the pressure as it probably hadn’t been checked since it was inflated and fitted in 2018. True enough it was 46 psi when it should have been 59 psi.
However, after refitting the wheel to the carrier I found it virtually impossible to slide the carrier back into position. It was jammed solid and refused to budge. The weight of the wheel bent the flimsy telescopic carrier tubes like bananas preventing them from retracting inside each other. If you’ve even tried to do this you’ll know what I mean and it’s not something you can do on the side of the M5!
Even with the wheel / weight removed from the carrier the telescopic rods just couldn’t be slid inside each other even after liberally applying some GT85, which made matters worse so I wiped it off.
Eventually after a lot of wriggling, shaking, twisting and pushing the carrier, after about half an hour I eventually got everything back into place, but what a hassle. Absolute nightmare and after crawling out from under the van I looked like a Welsh coal miner that’d just done a shift. I felt like it too. Surely there’s got to be a better system or was it my technique?

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
After the first caravan, 15 plus years ago and having the Alko carrier, I removed it saved 6 kg and carried the spare wheel under the fixed bed, which both of the next two vans had.
Imagine trying to remove the wheel, in the rain and dark on a European motorway. It is a nightmare unit.

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
We also got rid of our carrier and we had room in the front locker for our wheel for one thing it was easier access with my mobility issues .

Mar 17, 2020
Visit site
I'd be the first to admit that the spare carrier isn't likely to win any prizes for design and functionality but it does surprise me that the telescopic rods bent. Having said that my main criticism was that the tyre sidewall was compressed and when dismounted the spare was obviously showing exactly where it had been pressed against the metal of the carrier. I suspect the concern was only in my head since you don't read of many spares failing specifically due to being housed in the wheel carrier from hell.

My spare lived under the bed in my previous van and in the current van in the front gas locker.

In the last van the wheel lived in almost the same position front to back but inside rather than outsize. In my present van it lives in the front locker since the van design allows the extra weight there without causing loading issues.

Currently I've borrowed the "wing nut" that is part of the carrier and that, together with the short flat section of the carrier firmly bolted to a length of wood which in turn is both glued and screwed onto the front bulkhead, provides a safe and firm home for the wheel.

The 6 kg saving is always worth having but having recently had two valves fail, one on each side of the van, the task of swapping over to the spare was honestly very easy. The spare was clean and easy to handle and together with the trusty "Kojack" made changing a breeze!

If anyone wants a full carrier and/or a partially dismantled one let me know! ;)

spare carrier.jpg

Reactions: Hutch
Sep 2, 2023
Visit site
Thanks for all the replies and your advice / remarks are well noted! Unfortunatley our 2 berth Swift Challenger 480 does not allow us to keep the wheel inside the van or I would definately look at that option. I could possible keep it in the gas locker but I'm a bit anal about the weight in the front of the van so it'll stay underneath on the carrier for the foreseeable and to be honest how often am I going to have to retreive it? Thats done it!!!
Regarding the tubes bending, I watched a youtube video of a dealer extracting and refitting the SW and he had almost as much trouble as me and he actually made several references to the hassle / struggle that it was. The only thing he did differently to me was that he didn't extend the carrier to its full position and therefore the rods didn't flex so much as the weren't so long. The problem he then encountered was that he had to fit the SW to the carrier while it was still under the van which looked worse than extending the carrier like I did. At least I could see the wing and lock nuts.
I like the idea but, its just a shame that the materials are so flimsy. A rail system using the same technique would possible work better.

Last edited:
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
in one of our vans I carried it in the space as you enter the caravan door. There was a settee on one side, and a storage cabinet the other. Then when on site it was shoved under the caravan and secured by a motorcycle chain and padlock. Virtually invisible to passers by even when the awning wasnt in place.

May 2, 2020
Visit site
Yes the SW carriers are a nightmare we keep our spare under the bed, however when we didn't have a fixed bed we travelled with the spare in the tow vehicle and as otherclive did put it under caravan when on site, this also ment Mrs gralay could cram more clothes in the wardrobe

Gra

Mel

Mar 17, 2007
Visit site
Front locker for us. But we only carry one gas bottle and check the nose weight each trip. It will make it much easier for the Green Flag man to access 😀. We are not changing a wheel without a wacking great van with orange flashing lights parked behind us.
Mel

Reactions: Banus

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts