Swift Charisma 535

Feb 25, 2007
Visit site
Hi I am thinking of buying a brand new Swift Charisma 535 a dealer special does any one own one or have any views or opinions of this model all feedback would be appreciated.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Hi Daniel

What do you mean by a "dealer special"? Is it the Swift Charisma 535 straight from the factory as advertised who has it been made with different trim etc??

Not sure what it is you are after??

Cheers

Alan

Feb 25, 2007
Visit site
Hi I Alan I want to know what it is like to live with this van and the dealer special has different trim extras like microwave oven, alarm system larger fridge etc.

Aug 14, 2006
Visit site
sold one last year for a friend , not much room in van for more than 2 people, not a famly van, but it was put together ok, not to heavy great for famly car just the job for two.

Apr 9, 2006
Visit site
Hi Daniel,

If there are only two of you and making up the bed each night would not be a problem, have you had a look inside a Swift Charisma 230. They do dealer special versions of this too, which also have all the 'bells and whistles'. The 230 has longer parallel seats with a chest of drawers and flip-over table on top. It has an end washroom with shower, wc, sink and wardrobe, enabling you can get showered and dressed all in the same area. All things to be considered.

The 535 does have a fixed side bed, but remember, the person sleeping on the inside will have to climb over the person on the outside, if they want to get out of bed. They will also have to walk through the shower everytime to get to the loo.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Hi Daniel

Already you can see each persons prefeence of a vans interior varies enormously.

If you can get to the NEC this wekend you will be able every conceivable layout there is. You and your wife need to jot down the most important factors and then check out the layouts.

Personally a comfortable double bed was top priority for us. Yes she has to climb over me to get up but then I have the cut off corner and so on etc.

As for Swift, I very nearly bought one and found the quality and construction excellent.

Good hunting.

Cheers

Alan

Dec 14, 2006
Visit site
We have a fixed bed Swift, very similar in layout to the Charisma, with corner toilet/shower compartment, and it's fantastic. We've owned it for 7 years now, and are thinking about replacing it - not because we don't love it, but thinking long term about retirement and buying now whilst we can afford to buy new. We've had a few faults, but nothing major, and everything has 'worn' very well. We've had two week holidays in France, twice a year since we've had the Swift, plus many weekends and other weeks away, so it's been well-used, including in the cold over New Year on one occasion. We've had to replace the tyres twice, and had two bumps where bodywork needed repairs, but other than that all the original equipment is still working. An exception is the water pump which we replaced voluntarily because when it didn't work my partner stripped it down, and found it covered in black mould inside. We've had no damp at all - and the only modification we've made to it was to fit a Mini-Heki over the bed where there was just a normal roof-light. Ours doesn't have all the bells and whistles of your dealer special, but it is unusual in that it was a continental model, which Barrons were selling, with the door on the wrong side. It was also a bit wider than the British Swifts of the time, so has a feeling of space (which the newer Swifts do any way).

There are two of us, and not having to make the bed up each night is a real boon. I always wonder what sort of sleeping arrangements those who say 'the one on the inside has to climb over the other'. All the caravans I've seen where you convert the cushions to a double bed have 'one person on the inside' - I can only presume they sleep separately on the bench seats at the front.

From my point of view I'd say go ahead - but there will always be others who've bought the 'Friday afternoon Swift' who point out all the problems they've had with theirs. Hope you enjoy the new van.

Feb 15, 2006
Visit site
daniel, if theres just the two of you then no probs. if theres more then i would look at the swift carisma 555. more open plan, sideboard/worktop opposite kitchen area, longer front seats. i have this layout and have two boys 5 and 13.

jo-anne

Feb 25, 2007
Visit site
Thanks for the comments I have now decided to buy this van, I have looked at the other models in the range but due to weight restrictions on the towing car (can't afford an new car and caravan) I will have to go for this model there are only 3 of us myself my wife and son, I had a similar lay out on an Adria caravan and lived with it ok just wanted to know what the swift range was like.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
We have a 535 which we bought new from Barrons in 2006. There are only the 2 of us; we spend most of our time in the awning or outside so space isn't a problem for us. I love the fixed bed and find getting up during the night easy...I just give him a kick and he soon moves! We cannot fault the van and it has been used for short breaks here and summer holidays in France.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts