swift charisma 590

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
we have just purchased the new twin axle 590 charisma with superb end washroom and fixed bunks to cater for our 3 young children.This is my first caravan I have purchased or towed, and I will be towing it with my Toyota Land Cruiser LC5. I have done my homework ect regarding towing weights ect, but i would appreciate any other towing or general tips or advice from experienced caravanners to make my first touring season an enjoyable one. Am i going in at the deep end?

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
You probably are going in at the deep end so you will have to swim quickly.Just take things steadily.A big tow car can make towing seem effortless but you need to allow twice as much stopping distance at least.Go down hills in the same gear that you go up them and don't be tempted to make up for lost time by speeding downhill. Do everything as though you are driving a limmo with VIPs on board slowly and smoothly. Remember you are on holiday so relax and enjoy it. Happy Caravaning

BJ

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
The best advice I can offer is to recommend you join one of the main clubs,

Caravan Club or

Camping and Caravan Club.

If you have not towed before, you will find they both do towing courses which are great.

I am sure you will enjoy yourself.There is a lot to learn.

For safety make sure your carvan is not overloaded. A heavy car can tow a lighter caravan. The clubs recommend the van is not more then 85% of the towing vehicle weight.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Chris good choice of van ,we all had to start one day go ahead & enjoy just watch your speed till you get used to it & remember the lenth when passing or turning . good luck.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
We tow a twin axle. Don't handle it let the car do the work. If you do have to man handle it, wind up the jockey wheel to raise the front set of wheels proud of the ground.

Watch your rear end as you do sharp turns. we ripped the back off our Spectrum costing the insurance

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts