Swift Hartel Door Lock Again!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 23, 2008
Visit site
Going away for the first time this year in a few days.This morning I struggled to open the door of the caravan.I was frightened of breaking the key. After a few minutes I did manage to open it but it is sticking quite badly.It won't work properly.Discovered instructions to repair kindly put on by Parksy.' ...remove red and green screw covers and cover with HARTAL writen on it, remove the 4 screws , then you will need to turn the handle assy upside down (on a worktop or bench is best) then remove the circlip and double spring clip , the handle now comes out of the locating apperture , simply file or sand the hole to make biger then reverse the removal procedure , a smear of petroleum jelly wont go a miss either...'If we try this and it doesn't work has it invalidated the warranty? Also is it quite easy to do? Our van(Swift Challenger 480 ) is 2 years old so I am not sure if it is covered by the warranty or not.The dealer is over half an hour away and he won't be able to fix it before we go. Is it easy to sort out?I will be grateful for any advice as I don't want to ruin the lock and leave the van unlocked. Thanks.

Nov 24, 2009
Visit site
I would do it yourself .. its a 15 minute job and you'll do a better job than the dealer. I've done mine and care not about any warranty issue.

I think there is enough evidence on forums that should the matter get so serious that a court case resulted ... it would be very easy to prove one's point !!

:)

Dec 30, 2009
Visit site
Margaret, we had a sticky door lock, when it went in for its first service I got the dealer to look at it. He did exactly what you have discribed so no I would think it wouldnt invalidate your waranty. Ask Andy on the swift forum.

Kevin

Oct 21, 2008
Visit site
Our Bailey Senator Series 6 has had the same problem - if you dont close it carefully, the lock jams - been back to dealer twice to repair but still not right - was told it is a common problem on these doors

Aug 22, 2009
Visit site
Had EXACTLY the same problem on my 11 month old Eldiss. Decided that there was no point in having it replaced under warranty as the new one will be no better.

15 minutes following said instructions re stripping down and then sanding the hole down to make it slightly larger has totally solved the problem.

I know that you shouldn't have to do this when it is still under warranty but how much do you value your own time and money dragging it back to the dealers knowing that it will be no better when replaced!

Regards Darryl

Mar 9, 2010
Visit site
Had EXACTLY the same problem on my 11 month old Eldiss. Decided that there was no point in having it replaced under warranty as the new one will be no better.

15 minutes following said instructions re stripping down and then sanding the hole down to make it slightly larger has totally solved the problem.

I know that you shouldn't have to do this when it is still under warranty but how much do you value your own time and money dragging it back to the dealers knowing that it will be no better when replaced!

Regards Darryl
Having read all the comments on this lock problem I have just been outside and sorted mine out. I used polish on the plastic to plastic surfaces to give a smooth action.

My van is a Swift Challenger 570

Jun 28, 2010
Visit site
Margaret, we had a sticky door lock, when it went in for its first service I got the dealer to look at it. He did exactly what you have discribed so no I would think it wouldnt invalidate your waranty. Ask Andy on the swift forum.

Kevin
HAS ANYONE FOUND THAT THEIR SWIFT CHARISMA 535 WITH FIXED BED AND COOKER PLUS FRIDGE ALL FITTED TO THE OFFSIDE OF THE CARAVAN TENDS TO MAKE THE CARAVAN LOWER ON THE SUSPENSION ON THE OFF SDE BY ALMOST 1&1/4 INCHES OR 35MM ?

MY 2009 CHRISMA AT 9 MONTHS OLD IS SHOWING THIS PROBLEM ALREADY, IS THIS NORMAL OR ACCEPTABLE ?

ROB

Jul 18, 2023
Visit site
Same issue here. Swift sprite caravan with a Hartel lock on the entrance door. Was becoming increasingly stiff to turn the key to lock it. Then one day the key barrel came out with the key when it was withdrawn. Turns out:
(1) The key was becoming increasing difficult to turn in the lock due to the age of the barrel and it's resistance to being turned in the lock.
(2) Eventually one of two plastic teeth had broken off the end of the barrel; these teeth normally engage with and turn the door handle as the barrel turns.
(3) The lack of a tooth allowed the barrel to turn in the lock to the extent it could be withdrawn - the reverse operation to installing a new barrel.

To fix:
(1) Buy a new barrel - each barrel comes with one of 50 unique FW codes. Choose the code that matches the code on the blade of your key, otherwise your existing key won't fit into the new barrel.
(2) Ensure there's no debris in the lock where the new barrel will go.
(3) Insert the new barrel into the lock as far as it will go; turn and push the barrel until it completely inserts into the door lock and stays in place.

Et voila.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Same issue here. Swift sprite caravan with a Hartel lock on the entrance door. Was becoming increasingly stiff to turn the key to lock it. Then one day the key barrel came out with the key when it was withdrawn. Turns out:
(1) The key was becoming increasing difficult to turn in the lock due to the age of the barrel and it's resistance to being turned in the lock.
(2) Eventually one of two plastic teeth had broken off the end of the barrel; these teeth normally engage with and turn the door handle as the barrel turns.
(3) The lack of a tooth allowed the barrel to turn in the lock to the extent it could be withdrawn - the reverse operation to installing a new barrel.

To fix:
(1) Buy a new barrel - each barrel comes with one of 50 unique FW codes. Choose the code that matches the code on the blade of your key, otherwise your existing key won't fit into the new barrel.
(3) Insert the new barrel into the lock as far as it will go; turn and push the barrel until it completely inserts into the door lock and stays in place.

Et voila.
You have replied to a 13 year old post. 😂

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site

To fix:

Et voila.
You have found a 13 year old thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts