Swift recall due to screw problems in the front lockers.

Feb 23, 2020
Visit site
Is anyone else having problems with swift over the recent recall of their caravans. I have telephoned at least 3 times and filled in their online form as well as sent an e-mail but they don't reply. I think swift are treating their customers very shoddily over this issue. We were told by swift our caravan isn't safe to tow but they don't give any indication when they are going to resolve the problem. It's not a lot of good having a caravan that you can't tow.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Sorry to hear of your problems, what models and years are affected? Recalls are very uncommon with caravans and I’m not confident that Swifts system will be as comprehensive as a car makers recall where DVSA data is available.

Feb 23, 2020
Visit site
The caravans affected are 2017 models as far as we know.They are sprite,challenger and eccles. We have two family members also with swift 2017 whose caravans are also on recall. If Swift would just let owners know what is going to happen to resolve the issue it would be nice. But it's as if they are shutting their eyes and ears to the problem.

Jun 26, 2017
Visit site
Is anyone else having problems with swift over the recent recall of their caravans. I have telephoned at least 3 times and filled in their online form as well as sent an e-mail but they don't reply. I think swift are treating their customers very shoddily over this issue. We were told by swift our caravan isn't safe to tow but they don't give any indication when they are going to resolve the problem. It's not a lot of good having a caravan that you can't tow.

Just check the screws, tighten them if necessary and then you can get on with life, including towing your caravan !

Feb 23, 2020
Visit site
Just check the screws, tighten them if necessary and then you can get on with life, including towing your caravan !
There isn't any screws to tighten they are all out. Swift wouldn't have recalled all 2017 caravans if they were safe to tow. It involves the front locker coming loose from the caravan.

Jun 26, 2017
Visit site
Interesting ... You might want to replace the screws before heading out !

When you say “they’re all out” do you mean all of the ones securing the bulkhead to the aluminium angle on one side of the van, or on both sides ? What about the screws securing the aluminium angle to the side panels ?

I think there was a period where for whatever reason they weren’t applying glue between the rear face of the aluminium angle and the bulkhead itself, causing the screws to loosen due to the vibration.

The locker doesn’t come loose, but the bulkhead !

I would imagine the only reason for the “safety” recall is because the rigid gas pipe is fastened to the bulkhead.

I found a couple of loose screws on one side on mine, but nothing more.

Last edited:
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site

Here is the actual link to Swifts website that covers the topics of the recall. It covers everything an owner needs to know and seems to be being handled well as far as the proposed inspection and remedial actions are concerned

Reactions: Icaru5
Oct 3, 2013
Visit site
Something not quite right here. You don't get to know when problem is to be resolved until van has been inspected and reported back to Swift.Our van is subject to the recall,First got a letter from Swift ,nothing to say van couldn't be used,completed on line form (web site address in letter)but because we stay in Area A and the van is also there our first choice of inspection date could not be accommodated ,we were given a selection pf suitable dates and picked one.Engineer arrived as arranged and declared van OK and gave us a Swift statement to that effect.
He said that he had found less vans than expected needed to be recalled for rectification/repair.
The whole procedure no problem at all.
Suspect something is not being said in this post - after all it's in Swift's interest to get this issue behind them.

Oct 3, 2013
Visit site
Sorry to hear of your problems, what models and years are affected? Recalls are very uncommon with caravans and I’m not confident that Swifts system will be as comprehensive as a car makers recall where DVSA data is available.
You get a letter from Swift if your van is affected.They use CHRIS as their basis for finding owners out.This might be a problem if van is second hand and change of ownership not recorded by CHRIS
There isn't any screws to tighten they are all out. Swift wouldn't have recalled all 2017 caravans if they were safe to tow. It involves the front locker coming loose from the caravan.
Aha ! just as I thought,original post missed this out.No wonder Swift told you van isn't safe to tow - you described the problem to them - no screws !
I hope you get this resolved soon but I suppose you have a number of hurdles to cross -
1 Date for Swift engineer van inspection has to be agreed.
2 Report sent to Swift
3.Swift has to decide on remedy and when and where (at their factory? or dealer) remedy will take place. then inform you.
All this takes time.
Hope it doesn't interfere with this seasons plans.

Feb 23, 2020
Visit site
Interesting ... You might want to replace the screws before heading out !

When you say “they’re all out” do you mean all of the ones securing the bulkhead to the aluminium angle on one side of the van, or on both sides ? What about the screws securing the aluminium angle to the side panels ?

I think there was a period where for whatever reason they weren’t applying glue between the rear face of the aluminium angle and the bulkhead itself, causing the screws to loosen due to the vibration.

The locker doesn’t come loose, but the bulkhead !

I would imagine the only reason for the “safety” recall is because the rigid gas pipe is fastened to the bulkhead.

I found a couple of loose screws on one side on mine, but nothing more.
yes the screws securing the aluminium to the side of the van . We have replaced these screw once already and have no screws in again theyv all gone . Due to the stress going laterally from near side front to off side back we now have stress cracks in the top of the van round the rear panel up to top light.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
yes the screws securing the aluminium to the side of the van . We have replaced these screw once already and have no screws in again theyv all gone . Due to the stress going laterally from near side front to off side back we now have stress cracks in the top of the van round the rear panel up to top light.
Carol, Swift have been very clear they have identified a problem . They have given a programme of resolution, including removal to their own factory if necessary. I’d go along with them. Note they state , hopefully with 10 days. I’d be happy with that. Better to let the manufacturer resolve t(e problem than try yourself and maybe suffer the consequences later. Sadly all things go wrong in caravans these days but fair play to Swift on this issue.

Reactions: JezzerB
Feb 23, 2020
Visit site
They have had over 3 weeks now and not even an e-mail from them. Neither have my 2 family members in the same boat has a date when they will even look at their vans. We are unimpressed with swi fts performance.

Oct 3, 2013
Visit site
They have had over 3 weeks now and not even an e-mail from them. Neither have my 2 family members in the same boat has a date when they will even look at their vans. We are unimpressed with swi fts performance.
I have to say I have nothing but praise for the way Swift have handled our van,prompt replies to E mails and turning up on time as scheduled to examine van.
This seems to be in contrast to your experiences - I don't understand this.
Did you get a letter from them identifying you as a possible owner of an affected van.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
It cannot be easy for a manufacturing facility to deal with a significant recall as they aren't geared up for a sudden increase in such work. Also the dealer network has periods of low activity then it's a busy period as new vans are delivered and existing ones require servicing. Also deciding on the work required and where to undertake that work rehires access to each van for inspection. Plus any parts required will have to be sourced separately from normal production runs and suppliers need to be engaged too. It is rare for makers to activate recalls unlike car makers, so all credit to Swift for their approach. When my van required a new rear panel it was discovered in November and completed in the following May. But the dealers were very good in ensuring that water ingress was prevented during the waiting period. Even had it back during that period just to check damp levels in the rear area.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I was composing this comment when Clive has beaten me to it , but ill post it any way,

Very few if any caravan manufacturers have had to undertake a large scale back to factory recall, and they are not really set up for it.

Such a process is always going to be inconvenient for customers, but you can be assured that the manufacture will have explored all other options to avoid such a disruption to their factories. Consequently its also probably new ground for the manufacturer too.

Usually when a recall is required, the manufacturer relies on their dealer network to handle the actual work at the dealers premises. A return to factory recall is a much bigger affair and will be a quite a complex logistical process to manage. It's quite likely the process outlined may not have been fully tested in real life, and may well have thrown up some unforeseen difficulties.

What is important though, is to look at exactly what the published procedures are, and to ensure that you have followed them, and not tried to circumvent them.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
It is well worth reading Clive’s link . Swift cogently explain what the problem is and their intentions for resolution. It appears in some units the bulkhead has not been correctly installed / fastened. Whether that be screws or a bonding agent I don’t know. Note in the first instance a qualified Swift engineer will carry out an inspection. Thereafter if necessary a remedy will be effected at the dealer or at Swift themselves.
I’d say this is very reasonable and Swift’s reaction and plan is reasonably stated. Had this been a Lunar or Avondale you would stand alone😢

May 24, 2014
Visit site
I totally agree with both Prof and Otherclives post on this, with the provisio that there is no excuse for a lack of communication, especially in answer to a customers direct query.

I have had that sort of experience with Swift and I found I only got through when I began to push .

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Talking to a friend tonight, yes i have one, his van is going to be inspected and repaired as required by a Swift "Engineer" next Tuesday. He asked his dealer as to why they could not do the repair, a Rushton , Northamptonshire dealer, and they said that a swift Person must do the inspection and repair.

Last edited:
Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Talking to a friend tonight, yes i have one, his van is going to be inspected and repaired as required by a Swift "Engineer" next Tuesday. He asked his dealer as to why they could not do the repair, a Rushton , Northamptonshire dealer, and they said that a swift Person must do the inspection and repair. He has been waiting since late December.
Strange . That contradicts the Swift statement made when the recall went public. Has something changed?

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
My friend has had is 2018 Swift back at the works to have a cracked and leaking rear panel replaced. Whilst at Swifts works they checked the front locker area but declared it satisfactory. They also replaced his brakes even though he hadn’t noticed any squealing. Since first identifying the cracked panel it has been nearly six months. But the dealer did seal the area with a panel sealing tape so water ingress was prevented.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts